Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,547,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I can look outside my window and see a palm tree, but that's because I'm the one who planted it.
Is it a Trachycarpus Fortunei? My favorite hardy palm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 11:19 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
I'm going to die where I am happy regardless of services. It's Alaska from spring through fall and Hawaii from Fall to Spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You are my hero.
I'm guessing I might qualify as your anti-hero: Park City UT from Thanksgiving through mid-April, and Las Vegas from April through Thanksgiving.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As I've stated previously, Florida is not a small town and the weather (among other things) is not the same for all areas throughout the state; the probability of you experiencing a hurricane depends upon where you live in the state. Tampa has had one direct hit in about 100 years. If "norm" to you means once a century, then you're correct.
Look how many once in 500 year floods we have had lately. If the climate change people are right Florida will be slammed much more than before.

All of Florida could potentially get slammed with a Cat 3 or greater hurricane. Direct hit. All of the state is close to warm water during hurricane season. I went through Hurricane Ike in Texas and that was it for me, no more. If you are elderly it could mean death just from the power going out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Umm, a cold snap in South Florida is when the temps go into the 50s, or heaven forbid on rare occasions, the high 40s. Exactly how would we lose power because of that? (See, since you illogically consider Florida to be all one place with the same conditions, I can tear your examples apart by choosing any area within the state to show how ridiculous your statement can be.).
Easy now...

Who said Florida residents would lose power because of a cold snap? I was just mentioning my criteria for areas I would not want to live in and cold weather states that have ice storms would be one example. I was not referring to Florida on that. But hurricanes do knock out power.

Perhaps work on you reading comprehension.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Look how many once in 500 year floods we have had lately. If the climate change people are right Florida will be slammed much more than before.

All of Florida could potentially get slammed with a Cat 3 or greater hurricane. Direct hit. All of the state is close to warm water during hurricane season. I went through Hurricane Ike in Texas and that was it for me, no more. If you are elderly it could mean death just from the power going out.

Easy now...

Who said Florida residents would lose power because of a cold snap? I was just mentioning my criteria for areas I would not want to live in and cold weather states that have ice storms would be one example. I was not referring to Florida on that. But hurricanes do knock out power.

Yes, the ferocity, strength, and frequency of hurricanes has increased due to climate change, and Florida has been affected, along with some other states. The prediction is for more of great strength to occur.

Flooding in Miami, in neighborhoods never having flooding before and elsewhere in the U.S., is occurring more frequently too due to rising sea levels, sea swells and walls of water from storms & hurricanes, and some sinking.

Walls of water similar to smaller tsunamis are becoming more frequent in the U.S.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 PM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Yes, the ferocity, strength, and frequency of hurricanes has increased due to climate change, and Florida has been affected, along with some other states. The prediction is for more of great strength to occur.

Flooding in Miami, in neighborhoods never having flooding before and elsewhere in the U.S., is occurring more frequently too due to rising sea levels, sea swells and walls of water from storms & hurricanes, and some sinking.

Walls of water similar to smaller tsunamis are becoming more frequent in the U.S.
To me it would make no sense to live in a state where this kind of thing is happening and likely to increase in the future. Insurance premiums go way up also for home insurance. Or you go without it and lose your house.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:05 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,547,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Easy now...

And lets not forget setting out all the smudge pots trying to save the citrus crops from freezes in Florida. I remember those.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM

11,170 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnfarm1947 View Post
I'll stick with Maine...the way life should be!
The way life should be?

Maine town manager promotes racial segregation — State — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 01-21-2018, 07:21 PM

An HGTV show (a spin-off of HGTV House Hunters) yesterday went to Rockland, Maine to find a house for a couple in their 50's who had just won a $1 million lottery prize.

The three houses they were shown were so inexpensive! $149,000 to $249,000.

I'm not saying I'm interested in living there, but the film of the town, bay, ocean, boats, downtown, neighborhood was interesting and the housing so reasonably priced.

The husband has a writing dream - he wanted a place to write. Rockland, Maine is where they chose to buy a house after winning the $1 million.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM

37,329 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
An HGTV show (a spin-off of HGTV House Hunters) yesterday went to Rockland, Maine to find a house for a couple in their 50's who had just won a $1 million lottery prize.

The three houses they were shown were so inexpensive! $149,000 to $249,000.

I'm not saying I'm interested in living there, but the film of the town, bay, ocean, boats, downtown, neighborhood was interesting and the housing so reasonably priced.

The husband has a writing dream - he wanted a place to write. Rockland, Maine is where they chose to buy a house after winning the $1 million.
Rockland is a coastal tourist town, so prices are a lot higher there. No home in my town is that expensive.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ok8d&3col=true

Here is a 4 bdrm house in Bangor that is a bit lower priced.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:21 PM

I was saying how inexpensive the houses they were shown were at $149,000 and $249,000 - but the one you note at $14,900 is surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement