Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:03 PM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times

Advertisements

Thanks, here's more info on Maysville if anyone else is interested.

Maysville Mason County Area Chamber of Commerce. - Home Page - www.maysvillekentucky.com

https://www.wtvq.com/2017/08/14/mays...towns-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 11:23 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,655,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Tried Arizona, too dry, too hot in summer and chilly in winter.
New Mexico offers a great four season climate without the extreme heat and crowds of sun baked retirees in tennis shorts. The problem for some is the elevation— Albuquerque is a mile high and Santa Fe is 7,000 ft. Winters are mild unless you are up in the mountains in ski areas. High desert appeals to some people as does the diversity that comes with the native Indian and historic Spanish cultural mix. Cost of living is low to average depending on where you live. I’m from the Midwest but fell in love with the high desert and open spaces of New Mexico. Healthcare is certainly adequate in the cities but can be sparse in rural areas. Cultural opportunities are wide ranging — in Santa Fe and Albuquerque especially. The Railrunner commuter train between Santa Fe and Albuquerque (and as far south as Belen) is free to seniors on most Wednesdays and cheaper than driving and parking any day. To people accustomed to the extreme heat of Arizona it might seem too cool. To people accustomed to green lawns, beaches, or huge cities it might seem too dry or undeveloped. It sort of fits in the Goldilocks position for some people - most of my neighbors are Eastern transplants or from the west coast.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,769,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "workable", but the legislature approved the implementation regulations last spring and i believe that they went into effect in July. There's a couple of hoops to jump through, but if you have a legitimate medical need, then getting approval shouldn't be a problem. My oncologist would have started the process for me had I wanted him to.
Medical marijuana may be legal, but patients are still limited in Florida | Tampa Bay Times

As Patients Wait, Florida Legislators and Bureaucrats Fight Over Medical Marijuana | Miami New Times

Rethugs who are against letting people decide for themselves have effectively gutted the intent of the MMJ laws. The fact that dry herb is not allowed in and of itself makes this unworkable. Particularly their attempt to limit MMJ to CBD only - CBD products do NOT help me at all. Great for some, ineffective for me. And forcing you to use things like tinctures and oils increases the cost past my ability to pay for it. I strongly suspect that even after they jerk the funding for these guys so they can make some progress the PTB will set prices so high I STILL won't be able to afford it.

MMJ has been passed by the voters in OH as well. Wouldn't surprise me one little bit if OH takes a leaf from FL and pulls the same kinds of shenanigans to make the will of the voters irrelevant.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM

6,283 posts, read 4,166,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
New Mexico offers a great four season climate without the extreme heat and crowds of sun baked retirees in tennis shorts. The problem for some is the elevation— Albuquerque is a mile high and Santa Fe is 7,000 ft. Winters are mild unless you are up in the mountains in ski areas. High desert appeals to some people as does the diversity that comes with the native Indian and historic Spanish cultural mix. Cost of living is low to average depending on where you live. I’m from the Midwest but fell in love with the high desert and open spaces of New Mexico. Healthcare is certainly adequate in the cities but can be sparse in rural areas. Cultural opportunities are wide ranging — in Santa Fe and Albuquerque especially. The Railrunner commuter train between Santa Fe and Albuquerque (and as far south as Belen) is free to seniors on most Wednesdays and cheaper than driving and parking any day. To people accustomed to the extreme heat of Arizona it might seem too cool. To people accustomed to green lawns, beaches, or huge cities it might seem too dry or undeveloped. It sort of fits in the Goldilocks position for some people - most of my neighbors are Eastern transplants or from the west coast.

We are moving to Arizona to be close to our son and family but i LOVE NM and would live there if I could. It surprised my family because I am from quaint English countryside with castles and lush landscapes, and the coast, but something about NM grabbed me.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 AM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,614,677 times
Just looked at the weather forecast for where we moved from in Central Florida. It is going to be in the 80s for at least the next week. It got so that the summers seemed to last forever; so happy to be where we are now.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
When I used to vacation in Naples Florida, I found that the first week of April was unbearably hot and humid and it was not possible to enjoy a beach vacation during that week and after.

(spending majority of time on the beach)

So I always went to Naples during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March, because even the last week of March was often iffy in terms of comfortability for a beach vacation.

And oddly, going the 3rd and 4th weeks of February could be too cloudy or rainy.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Just looked at the weather forecast for where we moved from in Central Florida. It is going to be in the 80s for at least the next week. It got so that the summers seemed to last forever; so happy to be where we are now.
It was -4 this morning on my back porch in Park City. I'm now suiting up to go skiing -- even though we haven't had much snow this winter, I've passed 1 Million vertical feet. Skiing: even when it's bad, it's good.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM

4,528 posts, read 3,733,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
When I used to vacation in Naples Florida, I found that the first week of April was unbearably hot and humid and it was not possible to enjoy a beach vacation during that week and after.

So I always went to Naples during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March, because even the last week of March was often iffy in terms of comfortability for a beach vacation.

And oddly, going the 3rd and 4th weeks of February could be too cloudy or rainy.
It is going to be in the 80’s for the next week and much appreciated after a chillier January. Blue skies and sunshine this time of year is still a novelty after years of winters that were too gray. They cleared our sod yesterday to begin pool construction. Bike riding, kayaking and beach yoga are going strong. I’m picking cucumbers and tomatoes now. Summer that is our winter will come soon enough.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,233,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'd like to see a list of "Best Places to Retire for People Who Can Afford to Live Anywhere". I imagine it would be quite different. These lists always seem to assume low retirement incomes, hence the accent on affordability. I once Googled "Florida Bugs" . Never again.
Coastal California would win that one.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I was in Naples in September. It was perfectly fine to me. Was it hot? Sure, but it wasn't unbearable. I walked several miles at Delnor-Wiggins and wasn't sweating like a pig.

I had previously only been to Florida in the winter. I thought the complaints about the summer heat were entirely overblown, but different people have different tolerances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement