U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 AM

1,036 posts, read 789,877 times

Advertisements

I miss the people, but not the work. That part of my life is over. I do not miss the paycheck either, because my retirement income is greater than my working income. The only reason I have a part-time job is because I want to earn the additional Medicare credits I need. I did not earn Medicare credits as a grandfathered government employee.

To answer the above post, the interviewers for my part-time job did not ask asinine questions. If they had, I would have had reservations about working in such a place.

I retired because I had met my financial goals. I also wanted to get back into the workforce and earn my Medicare credits before I turn 65.

I was respected, and doing a good job at work. I wanted to leave as a winner, not as someone hanging on long after they should have retired. One of my former coworkers said about my work ethic: "At mshultz's retirement party, mshultz was the only one who was working." My actual last day of work was spent operating the water plant second shift Saturday. At the end of my shift, I turned it over to the third shift guy, laid my keys and ID on the boss's table, and went home. When I applied for the part-time job, you can bet I told them my previous employer trusted me to operate the water plant by myself on my last day of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 AM
JRR

3,686 posts, read 2,233,446 times
I miss the work I did as it was interesting and challenging and I miss many of the people I worked with.

What I am thankful for every day is that I no longer have to put up with management people who have no experience in the function, take over a department and feel that they have to reinvent the wheel to bolster their resume for their trip up the corporate ladder. Nothing more frustrating being told that procedures that are working fine are being changed. Then six months later, nope that didn't work so now we are going to try something else. And then after even more of trying new things, going back to the original because, hey, that actually worked OK.

After we take a trip in the Spring, I think I have found a volunteer opportunity that will give me what I liked about my job, so I may give it a try.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,434,016 times
No, not at all, never. I looked forward to retiring (and retired early) and would cross each working day off a calendar leading up to the date I selected to retire. Oddly, I was contacted by a former boss who heard I had retired and was offered a part time job two weeks after retiring. Flattering, but immediately I realized didn't want to work ever again. Not full time, not part time, not ever. I turned the part time offer down. I've been retired around 13 years and have never missed working.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,484,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
I'm just curious, because I know some people claim to love working. I just haven't figured out why.
I can honestly say that I miss the work I did. It was interesting, challenging, and 'useful to society'. I had pleasant co-workers, supportive management, and was well compensated. (I worked at a NASA center controlling several instruments on earth orbiting environmental satellites, among other things. I also taught at the local community college in the evenings.)

What finally drove me to retire was the horrific commute, (I was not willing to live closer).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM

31,750 posts, read 20,035,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Have any of you had a burning desire to go on an interview and answer some idiot's asinine questions, just for the hell of it? What about proofing cover letters and formatting your resume? Or do you miss bugging old references when you are looking for a job?

What about the gossipers and unpleasant supervisors? Does anyone miss them?

I'm just curious, because I know some people claim to love working. I just haven't figured out why.
Well, I certainly do not have your view or experience with those things you listed above (I liked the places I worked and had no drama), but no, I do not miss working.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 AM

199 posts, read 112,612 times
For the people who say they'll miss the people they work with, I won't. I've always viewed coworkers as minor acquaintances and never have trusted them. I watch what I say around them and assume everything is being passed on to the boss. There are just too many snakes in the workplace, and I have no way of knowing who they are. How can you miss someone that you don't trust?

There are certainly some people that I have liked better than others, but when I leave a job I quickly forget everyone I worked with.

I love my family and friends dearly, not the people I share an office with who are just a step above strangers.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:56 AM

1,137 posts, read 571,906 times
Funny; I was itching to retire- but not because of the work. I find the engineering field fascinating, and now that I am no longer having to fix someone else's problems, I now have time to revisit some engineering skills I either a) never had time to do at work, or b) couldn't justify personal research when problems were on my plate that needed to be fixed. Right now, it is cold outside, so I am happily refreshing my QT programming skills that became stale when I was forced to learn Matlab by the company. I do NOT, however, miss having to be in meetings 3 times a day.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 AM

3,665 posts, read 2,818,511 times
I donít miss working. What I miss is having my viewpoints in a work environment considered and seen as valid. The biggest problem in retirement is often that no one cares what you think, and no one wants your help in a volunteer way except in really minimal ways---even if when you worked, you were actually in charge of this kind of thing.

Thatís what I miss---the ability to have an impact.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 4,171,218 times
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Do I miss work?! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! No, I do not miss work. Going on four years since I retired and there has never been a day that I wished I was back at work.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,463,702 times
I miss being around technically literate people. In retirement there are far too many people who are not well educated and not particularly bright.

They don't get the old joke about the university faculty mathematicians who started a rock band.

Their top hit was called (i). They performed it at a party -- 3.5 minutes of total silence -- because, of course, (i) is an imaginary number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or