U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 AM

364 posts, read 125,802 times

Advertisements

No, I do not miss working. Nor do I miss my coworkers. They weren't bad people but I wasn't close enough with any of them to feel that I'm missing something by not seeing or hearing from them. Most of them were younger with kids and still ramping up their careers--not on the same page as me.

Leaving the job didn't cause any big emotional loss because my life hasn't revolved around working for many years. I had to take care of an ailing parent for many years and that became a greater focus to me than working (although I still worked during that time). I also have always had a lot of hobbies and interests but most of these were sidelined during various stretches due to caregiving and my job. I mainly did these activities "here and there" such as on weekends. When I left my job, I dove into these interests pretty much full blast and that gave me an immediate focus.

It's not wrong to miss working but it seems strange to me that someone would choose to retire if they loved their work so much that they are feeling sad and missing it. Why retire then? I went through about a year of vacillation over the paycheck issue but then a few things occurred and I made the decision to leave. I am not someone who is going to leave full time work and then go back to full time work again. Part time, yes, but not full time. Perhaps if someone is missing work then maybe you haven't put enough effort into finding other things to do. If someone is used to spending 10 hours a day working and then leaves it, but doesn't have anything else to fill those 10 hours with, of course he or she will start reminiscing about the job because that's all you know. But there is a whole big wide world out there with so many new and exciting things to do. Why keep rehashing one's old life, stale old job, stale old friends--try something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I can honestly say that I miss the work I did. ...
What finally drove me to retire was the horrific commute, (I was not willing to live closer).
What kinds of volunteer things might you do, or is it too soon to consider?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I miss being around technically literate people. In retirement there are far too many people who are not well educated and not particularly bright.

They don't get the old joke about the university faculty mathematicians who started a rock band.

Their top hit was called (i). They performed it at a party -- 3.5 minutes of total silence -- because, of course, (i) is an imaginary number.
Sounds like a phase they were going through....

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM

1,040 posts, read 484,865 times
Good God no.....Not working is like being rocketed to the 4th dimension....That said, I don't think everyone can retire just from a mental standpoint...I'm simply not one that "needs to be busy"...some people simply can't sit still and working allows for 50 hours a week of a distraction.....

Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 AM

4,622 posts, read 4,462,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I miss being around technically literate people. In retirement there are far too many people who are not well educated and not particularly bright.
I can relate to that. Shortly, (very shortly), after moving into my "active 55+" community, a fairly attractive lady my age sunk her claws into me. She is a nice lady and all, but had worked as a truck driver in the construction trades and never went to college. It didn't take long to see the mismatch between us. Besides, she wants a "boyfriend". At this time in my life, I just want a "friend".

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What kinds of volunteer things might you do, or is it too soon to consider?
Too soon to consider. I've done a couple of things related to bicycling/racing, but am weighing my options. I might go back to teaching part time, and have even considered hiring on at Costco. Tons of community volunteer opportunities around. However, besides still settling into my new home, I need to consider how much I want to be tied down once the winter breaks. Having moved to an "outdoorsman's paradise", I fully expect to be quite busy doing 'stuff' once the weather turns nice and the days get long. Not sure I want to miss that.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-17-2018, 11:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is a frequent topic on this forum. You will soon find that hardly any of us miss work. By retirement time, most of us are burnt or burning out. We also have other things we want to do with our limited time on earth.

I think anyone who retires and is still missing work is due for some pity. They have not connected with their own passions, interests and goals. Honest enough?
jrkliny,

I am not sure why you frequently express having pity for people who does not think or live like you???

Retirees who miss working are in the minority but not a rarity based on what I have seen posted at this forum. The folks who were bored with retirement and went back to work or who are happy in retirement but still miss some or many aspects of their work environment (like myself) do not seem to deserve your pity. Why do you interpret missing work with lacking own passions, interests and goals?

I have had a lot of passions, interests and goals while working both inside and outside of the work environment.

I love science and technology. My past careers were rewarding, interesting and fulfilling. I also enjoyed exchanging ideas, learning, inventing, planning, identifying root causes, brainstorming for solutions, executing plans with my team mates. I took pride in my work, my technical achievements as well as the bonds I have (or had) with many co-workers both inside and outside of the work environment.

I was not burned out when I decided to retire. If it was not for the fact that my husband have had several health issues or challenges, I would have stayed working maybe even to my 70's like some of my former colleagues. I wanted to have more time doing things that we love with my husband when he is still able (flying, boating, traveling, hiking, birding, videography/photography, learning/doing new crafts, projects, subjects etc).

My many retirement activities mean I still have plenty of passions, interests and goals in retirement. However, I do miss many aspects of my work. I am proud that my work is still quite relevant in the technical areas. Every few days, research gate would notify me of new milestone (# of reads or citations) of my publications. I also like to think that some of the inventions that I developed with former co-workers would get implemented or be useful to other researchers. I have to try hard not to read or think about different technical areas which I had developed expertise or interest.

Would I want to go back to work on a part-time basis? The answer is a big NO exactly because of the passion, interest that I had for my work. It would be difficult for me not to think about my work most of the time like when I was working full time. This would interfere with my current retirement life.

I had mentioned in other threads/posts that I recently spent few months to take care of my daughter who is undergoing chemotherapy. We are extremely busy now preparing for a big relocation to be near her. I am glad to be retired to spend time with and to take care of my husband and daughter.

So for me, work or retirement are just different phases in life. I enjoyed my work phase. I miss my work but I also enjoy my retirement. It's not an universal rule that one retires because of being burned out, hating their jobs or retirement life is superior to work life.

To say that you pity retirees who miss work is not different from saying you pity people who miss something that they had enjoyed in the past. It's ridiculous to interpret missing work as having no passions, no interest or goals. However, if having pity on others who think different makes you feel smug or superior, be my guest ;-)

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-17-2018 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Never... Never... Never...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM

401 posts, read 291,583 times
I miss working. I mainly miss the people and the challenges and the sense of doing something constructive. And I SURELY miss the pay, since I was at the top of my game. However, I would not go back. Young people need an opportunity to rise in the ranks and not be blocked by those that refuse to retire. Also, I served in a very structured environment, which made it easier to leave. Also, I wanted to protect my health and reduce stress as I aged.

I am enjoying retirement, and am as busy as I care to be, for example with volunteering; but sometimes that is not enough. This week I felt that my round of engagements and busyness are mainly to get me out of the house. I want a better purpose than that, and perhaps I will find it this year. I have been retired 4.5 years.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM

295 posts, read 149,259 times
No.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM

61 posts, read 30,563 times
I don't miss working per se, but I do miss the sense of competence that it gave me. So...I began volunteering, which eventually led to a part-time gig. This I find very satisfying. I have a deep need to be useful, whether it is in a volunteer capacity or for pay, so I am flexible and will adjust as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or