Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 AM

18,670 posts, read 33,282,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
But you've built quite a reputation for yourself here on C-D, judging by the numbers.
Thank you for reminding me. It is a community and I have met people in real life from a couple of groups. I guess I should ease up on myself! Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM

6,517 posts, read 7,036,070 times
No. I am busier now than I was when I was working. No time to miss it.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,193,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

Uh, did you say working, like going to work.. for money?.. commuting ?.. in the snow and rain? with a stomach flu? .. and going to 4 hour meetings that accomplished nothing except keeping me late to get my WORK DONE??!

Then being awakened in the middle of the night to solve a production problem caused by some idiot who didn't test his work sufficiently? Then going in to work the next day as if nothing happened?

And being hassled every year to give part of my hard-earned (albeit substantial) salary to United Way?

You mean, that job?!???

Um, no.
Ugh...the meetings....how bad were they?...just blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...... and what about the forced sharing of bathrooms? we need to start a thread just on how grateful we are to not have to deal with those things!!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,753,888 times
Do I miss working? NO! I do miss the people I worked with but I talk to the ones I want to talk to on Facebook or text.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM

10,076 posts, read 6,370,354 times
I missed work at first. I really missed the challenge of my cases and, to be honest, the travel associated with investigating them - the paperwork, not so much. I did get frustrated by the fact that even when I proved wrongdoing that the perpetrator was sometimes let off even when the Admiral signed off on punitive measures, which simply boggled my mind. However, I would have kept on working with zeal if the command hadn't been disestablished, and I had NO interest in commuting to DC, so that was that. The next few years I was busy caring for my late husband and then my Mom with her Alzheimers; when she died I really went through a period of feeling unneeded, even though I had a small business of my own. Finding the Master Gardeners and becoming one has made my past work life a memory now. I work hard keeping up public gardens, planning new ones, maintaining plant databases, and helping out other gardeners. so I feel like I'm contributing something; plus I've made new friends to replace old work friends.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,584,311 times
My job was a meritocracy, so I miss the satisfaction of knowing I was rewarded for my good efforts.
That I miss.

Not much else! Maybe, a little bit of the interaction with European tourists and their dropped jaws at the Grand Canyon-like surroundings..........

Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,903,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is a frequent topic on this forum. You will soon find that hardly any of us miss work. By retirement time, most of us are burnt or burning out. We also have other things we want to do with our limited time on earth.

I think anyone who retires and is still missing work is due for some pity. They have not connected with their own passions, interests and goals. Honest enough?
^^^^ sums things up nicely, but to put missing work into my own words:

I miss work like a toothache at a turkey dinner

I have plenty to do as long as I have these precious fellas who are 22 & 23:
Do you miss working?-image.jpg

Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,092,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
jrkliny,

I am not sure why you frequently express having pity for people who does not think or live like you???

You tell me that I am wrong when I pity people who have not found satisfaction in their retirement. Then to prove my point you go on about being forced to retire due to family issues and not having found what you wanted in retirement.

Maybe pity is the wrong word, but I do feel sorry for you or anyone else who has not been able to find satisfaction, joy, and excitement in retirement. It is sad when anyone lives in the past and has not seen their life improve in retirement. I hope your present and future can become even better than the past.

I am sad that you have family members with serious health issues. That has to be a real downer whether retired or still working.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,193,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

I have plenty to do as long as I have these precious fellas who are 22 & 23:
Attachment 194522

Stunning photo.....

Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,228,606 times
I have been retired about two years now, and I don't miss work at all, but I retired a little too early financially - I find if had about $20,000 in cash for "floating" different purchases, house repairs/upgrades, or trips, it would make my retired life easier (not make it work or survivable, just easier).

I have seriously considered going back to work for six months to a year to put the "float money" in place, and get set for a car replacement purchase in about 6-8 years, but when I really think about what it means to be tied to a job, I simply have not found things problematic enough or financially tight enough to jump back in to employment.

FYI, I am 59.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement