U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post

I took a part time job, working about 4 hrs a day. The job is no stress, pulling building permits etc. I save the builder time & effort while making a few hundred bucks a week. It's not for the money but doing something constructive 5 days a week. I see lots of seniors working in retail and they seem pretty happy, Home Depot, Walmart,etc. Some folks just enjoy working a bit, hopefully any senior working is doing it by choice.
This isn't a criticism, but one doesn't need to have a 4 hour per day job earning money to be considered "doing something constructive."

I consider many things in retirement constructive - being an artist painting pictures, photography, playing a musical instrument, reading, learning, gardening, exercise, etc.

I understand the idea though that you're transmitting - that a 4 hr per day job involves concrete tasks that feel productive and earn money, rather than maybe just enjoying a day or sitting around or letting time get away from one - and it can lend a sense of accomplishment, more so for some people than others.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-23-2018 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 AM

583 posts, read 908,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I laughed when I read how people hated meetings - me, too! They only got worse when the joys of PowerPoint were discovered and they went on and on and on . . .

I do not miss work at all but I am very glad I can look back on my career with satisfaction. I have to admit I wake up much happier every day now when I can do whatever I feel like and choose when to do it. Some people still like to be scheduled in retirement but that would make me very unhappy.
This reminded me of:
January 2017 (7 months before I retired on July 2017) our leadership went thru a reorganization. My then Supervisor was moved to another position within our work group and his place taken by individuals who just loved pie charts, power point presentations, graphics, weekly Monday morning meetings (or "huddles" as it was called) and weekly Friday noon meetings/huddles. It became monotonous, dull, repetitive, boring...take your pick. I then realized that I hated this type of meetings that had nothing and/or very little to do with my work scope.
In conclusion, as having the age and time served, this was another reason to let leadership know of my decision to retire when I did.

To answer the question (Do You Miss Working?) , I can say that I do NOT miss working.

I like to do whatever and whenever I feel like it.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:08 PM

245 posts, read 79,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Couldn’t have said it any better! This describes me to a “T”!

I occasionally hear from former colleagues but I don’t miss the job one bit.
If a former colleague called me, I would block his number. I was paid to put up with my coworkers. Some I got along with better than others, but none of them were my friends or people I cared about. They were part of the "work" package that I dealt with for the pay.

Fortunately, I was in a career that paid decently (accounting - spent time doing tax and auditing work), but I had no love for it and didn't miss it all when I was financially able to call it quits for good.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:10 AM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Changing poopy and/or wet diapers, or cleaning up after someone vomited in bed, trying to pick someone off the floor who had fallen out of bed, working in a Long-Term Care Rehab facility, do I need to answer your question?

Old 09-30-2018, 03:23 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Be honest.
OK, "Do you miss working?"

About as much as a case of clap.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:12 AM

568 posts, read 248,987 times
I would if I had stopped....so I haven't! Still do part-time in my field of expertise and it keeps me fulfilled, engaged and involved!

Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 AM

1,935 posts, read 348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Supervisor was moved to another position within our work group and his place taken by individuals who just loved pie charts, power point presentations, graphics, weekly Monday morning meetings (or "huddles" as it was called) and weekly Friday noon meetings/huddles.
I would be jumping for joy to leave a place that calls meetings "huddles."

Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 AM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times
It is Sunday morning. I don't have that sinking feeling that my weekend is half over. I have only been retired a few months and I am still finding my way, but miss working? No.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:37 AM

3,968 posts, read 1,114,406 times
I worked at fish hatcheries in Oregon. Periodically, we would get days on end of heavy rain, often mixed with snow melt. The intake, where water is taken out of the river to supply the hatchery had small screen size to keep fish and other aquatic animals out of the hatchery. I can recall working 24 hr shifts to keep the screens clean. When ever it rained hard, I would be listening for the alarms to go off indicating the screens were plugged.
I've been retired since 2011, but even now, if I hear heavy rain at night, I wake up expecting alarms to go off. Then I smile, turn over, and go back to sleep.
I don't miss that part of my work career at all, but I do miss delivering fish to ponds and lakes and having the kids go crazy when we dumped the fish in. And I still keep in touch with many of the people I worked with.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:35 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Nope. Not for one second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or