Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

I sure don't miss the politics oof the workplace! I did feel good about my work. I usually worked in the nonprofit field & feel that I helped a lot of people.

But I sure do love retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:34 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
I laughed when I read how people hated meetings - me, too! They only got worse when the joys of PowerPoint were discovered and they went on and on and on . . .

I do not miss work at all but I am very glad I can look back on my career with satisfaction. I have to admit I wake up much happier every day now when I can do whatever I feel like and choose when to do it. Some people still like to be scheduled in retirement but that would make me very unhappy.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Coming up on seven years of retirement, shortly. No, I do not miss work as a whole. However, I do sometimes miss the excitement of negotiating project and contract terms. Then the moment quickly fades and go back to enjoying being retired.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Funny; I was itching to retire- but not because of the work. I find the engineering field fascinating, and now that I am no longer having to fix someone else's problems, I now have time to revisit some engineering skills I either a) never had time to do at work, or b) couldn't justify personal research when problems were on my plate that needed to be fixed. Right now, it is cold outside, so I am happily refreshing my QT programming skills that became stale when I was forced to learn Matlab by the company. I do NOT, however, miss having to be in meetings 3 times a day.
Funny thing about engineering is that many of us never considered it to be work. It was pay for play.

My company called me and begged me to come back for a project. It's just 20 hours per week and I love it. I realize I'm a bit weird; my hobby has always been electronics and now I get paid to solve puzzles and I get to use scientific equipment to measure the results.

Because it's just a part time gig that will last a few months I don't consider it work. I'm just doing my hobby like most retired guys.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM

199 posts, read 165,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
i have already responded, but i will again. I was thinking today how i don't even think about my old job or the workers. Just not my reality anymore. i think about getting a little part time job at chicos or something and i think, nah, i wouldn't want to put up with snippy managers and customers.

i have stayed pretty busy and i wonder how i even found time to work.

So far so good. One month tomorrow.
My mom retired from a school district in her late 50s and went to work as a home health care aide just for some extra spending money. She would come home on a regular basis complaining about how rude some of her clients were. There was one who was particularly insulting and demeaning. Then there were the scheduling issues where they often demanded that she work 60-70 hours per week. That wasn't what she had signed up for. During the interview, she was told it was $10/hour and she would only be working around 20 hours per week. I would go over to my mom's house to eat and she would get calls telling her that she needed to visit a client. It got to the point where she didn't have time to do anything as she was working constantly. She quit after 6 months.

Last edited by whateverblahblah; 01-23-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 21,784 times
Never miss work...Love the freedom of retirement

Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM

18,719 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I laughed when I read how people hated meetings - me, too! ...
I told the administrators today that more people would probably come to the night shift meetings if they served cake and bacon like they did today for my breakfast!

Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post

I laughed when I read how people hated meetings - me, too! They only got worse when the joys of PowerPoint were discovered and they went on and on and on . . .

I do not miss work at all but I am very glad I can look back on my career with satisfaction. I have to admit I wake up much happier every day now, when I can do whatever I feel like, and choose when to do it. Some people still like to be scheduled in retirement but that would make me very unhappy.
well-stated, shamrock4! I strongly concur with everything you said.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-23-2018 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 PM

387 posts, read 515,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Funny thing about engineering is that many of us never considered it to be work. It was pay for play.

My company called me and begged me to come back for a project. It's just 20 hours per week and I love it. I realize I'm a bit weird; my hobby has always been electronics and now I get paid to solve puzzles and I get to use scientific equipment to measure the results.

Because it's just a part time gig that will last a few months I don't consider it work. I'm just doing my hobby like most retired guys.
After retiring I took a year off doing nothing but traveling the US and playing golf. Spending summer in NYC and winter in Florida. While in Fl. this winter I took a part time job, working about 4 hrs a day. The job is no stress, pulling building permits etc. I save the builder time & effort while making a few hundred bucks a week. It's not for the money but doing something constructive 5 days a week. Still play golf, swim in the ocean and I'm not tied down to a job for survival. It's a whole different ball game working when you do it by choice not because you have to. There is no way I'd go back to work doing something I hate after working 35 years to get to retirement. I see lots of seniors working in retail and they seem pretty happy, Home Depot, Walmart,etc. Some folks just enjoy working a bit, hopefully any senior working is doing it by choice. Enjoying retirement is having freedom to do as you please, one size does not fit all....

Old 01-23-2018, 07:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
No - because being retired doesn't mean you don't "work" - now I "work" on my own projects - I do things I want to do, in my own time frame. I am not evaluated by anyone but myself.

I have lots and lots of work - projects, goals - huge things - greater than any measly work I ever did for a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement