U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM

2,636 posts, read 977,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You should have gotten an explanation of your increase and the medicare amount in snail mail a couple of weeks ago. You can also go on ssa.gov to view this info.
Oh, I did, but was hoping it was wrong, lol. No such luck .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM

71,953 posts, read 71,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
All I wanted to know is if anybody got a raise. I don't need an undeserved reprimand. Yes sir, I've heard that a million times already (about half of that from your posts, and a few others) . And is why I mentioned not wanting to hear it again in my op. That is NOT what this thread is about. I did the best I could, and worked hard from 67 onwards. If I could do it over again I would make many changes, but it's a little too late for that now isn't it? So being judged unfairly by others for things I had no control over, like health, is decidedly unfair, and untrue. Everyone is different, and has had different combinations of stressful situations, marriages, etc. These affect us each in a different way according to genetics, and various things none of which can be duplicated in someone else since we are all different.

Also, having chronic body wide pain 24/7 for 21 plus years is no picnic I can assure you. 21 yrs is a long time of one's working life that was impacted negatively. If you have your health, be eternally grateful for it, and don't look down your nose at others who don't since you never know if you will be next. I have to try, and do things anyway even though the constant pain is enough to take your head off. So at least I have compassion for those that are suffering too, and can put myself in their position instead of telling them how they didn't do things right the way you did. Things they can't do anything about now. That is not helpful.

Also, don't put all your faith in your riches as the money you saved for can be gone in very short order too like it has for other retirees through no fault of their own.
everyone collecting got an increase . is it really necessary to ask ?

whether their premium went up is a separate issue just as it was while working . that is an individual issue based on what you were paying in the first place .

I just started in October on medicare and collecting , I started at 134 . my wife was collecting and on medicare for years now so she got raised but is still getting a discount at 129,00 .

because 134 was more than 2% for her the increase was capped at 129

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
everyone collecting got an increase . is it really necessary to ask ?
Obviously it was, or I wouldn't have asked .

Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 AM

71,953 posts, read 71,997,171 times
well we all pay different premiums for medicare so it is an individual situation as to what we pay . so yes i saw every penny of increase , 40 bucks a month

Old 01-17-2018, 12:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,180,393 times
I'm sorry you didn't get any increase, I mean you did but it was taken up with Medicare part B. Do you know what you are now paying for part B? It should have said on that paper you received earlier. Are you up to the current premium of $134. ?
By the way your SS amount never goes down based on premium increase, IF you are already receiving SS. It would just wait to go up until there was another COLA.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 PM

8,225 posts, read 11,942,304 times
Quote:
I get my SS on the third Wed of every month, and was excited to see how much my small increase would be. But upon opening the email from my bank this morning I found there was no increase at all for me. Not one red cent. Gee, thanks for nothing! Did it get eaten up by medicare? What a big disappointment that was . I'm almost 70, and had to retire at 60 with the Colorado Old Age pension, and then SS at 62. This was due to chronic illness.

Did anybody get a SS COL increase that showed up in your bank account? Thanks for any responses.

And before the grumps start giving me grief, I've had serious health issues for the last 21yrs, which prevented me from preparing for the inevitable the way I wanted to. Or at least working longer which I had planned to do. So don't even start, until you have walked a mile in my shoes. You never know when life will throw you a curve ball, and everything will be turned upside down. The recent divorce didn't help at all either.
Can we at least give you grief for not participating in the thread about this very same topic which was discussed thoroughly just last month by many in this online community (140 responses)? Or at least give you grief for not doing a quick search to at least see if your question had been asked - - - and answered - - - recently?

SS increase ...... or my giggle for today.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I'm sorry you didn't get any increase, I mean you did but it was taken up with Medicare part B. Do you know what you are now paying for part B? It should have said on that paper you received earlier. Are you up to the current premium of $134. ?
By the way your SS amount never goes down based on premium increase, IF you are already receiving SS. It would just wait to go up until there was another COLA.
Thanks arwenmark . Guess I'm not alone in that boat. That paper says they are now taking out $124 a month for medicare. That leaves $729 for everything else. It wasn't so bad till they started taking that out, but what can ya do, lol. It's loads better than hospital bills.

I'll be 70 in march so have been getting ss since age 62. So I guess that if medicare is supposed to be $134 that means that I'll never actually see a COLA in my sweaty money hungry hands since it will all go to to medicare now, and forevermore . Oh brother, lol! I might add that I don't do the drug plan. I don't like prescription drugs at all. Most of the side effects are worse than the disease . That might be where the discrepancy lies.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Can we at least give you grief for not participating in the thread about this very same topic which was discussed thoroughly just last month by many in this online community (140 responses)? Or at least give you grief for not doing a quick search to at least see if your question had been asked - - - and answered - - - recently?

SS increase ...... or my giggle for today.
NO!!! If you don't like my thread then scroll past it . It's really very simple.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,180,393 times
Quote:
Thanks arwenmark . Guess I'm not alone in that boat. That paper says they are now taking out $124 a month for medicare. That leaves $729 for everything else. It wasn't so bad till they started taking that out, but what can ya do, lol. It's loads better than hospital bills.

I'll be 70 in march so have been getting ss since age 62. So I guess that if medicare is supposed to be $134 that means that I'll never actually see a COLA in my sweaty money hungry hands since it will all go to to medicare now, and forevermore . Oh brother, lol! I might add that I don't do the drug plan. I don't like prescription drugs at all. Most of the side effects are worse than the disease . That might be where the discrepancy lies.
Nope sorry, the Part B is currently $134. then comes the drug plans if you take one. In my case it is $134. plus $27. something for the drug plan I use.
So you are right you still have $10. to go on Part B plus any future increases in that one.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:22 PM

8,225 posts, read 11,942,304 times
Quote:
...I don't like prescription drugs at all. Most of the side effects are worse than the disease ....
I don't think anyone ::likes:: taking prescription drugs; but for some of us, that's the only way we stay alive. I, for example, have to take blood thinners because I have a hereditary blood disorder that makes me prone to developing blood clots. In fact, before it was diagnosed, I developed numerous blood clots in my legs (DVTs) and lungs (pulmonary emboli), the latter of which almost killed me.

Somehow, I don't think taking something like grape seed extract in lieu of a prescription drug would help me, even though some people seem to think that it is a cure-all for whatever ails you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or