U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:39 PM

2,566 posts, read 959,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Nope sorry, the Part B is currently $134. then comes the drug plans if you take one. In my case it is $134. plus $27. something for the drug plan I use.
So you are right you still have $10. to go on Part B plus any future increases in that one.
Oh rats! Thanks for explaining it to me in a kind why. I appreciate it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM

39,594 posts, read 2,991,249 times
I saw about a $10 increase. That won't buy much, but I'll take it. I forget what my medicare premiums are.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,812,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Hey, I got a whole $22 increase !! Let's all go out for Ice Cream !!

Don't tell Paul Ryan about this......he is certain that these "Entitlements" are draining the country's resources and leading us down the road to ruin.
He knows they are not. Hes just looking for ways to give more money to people who already bring in 12 million a year.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't think anyone ::likes:: taking prescription drugs; but for some of us, that's the only way we stay alive. I, for example, have to take blood thinners because I have a hereditary blood disorder that makes me prone to developing blood clots. In fact, before it was diagnosed, I developed numerous blood clots in my legs (DVTs) and lungs (pulmonary emboli), the latter of which almost killed me.

Somehow, I don't think taking something like grape seed extract in lieu of a prescription drug would help me, even though some people seem to think that it is a cure-all for whatever ails you.
I'm so sorry you have that affliction. I understand how serious it can be. They even warn folks not to stay seated for long periods of time, like on flights, etc because that can bring on a clot.

I think things like vitamin E, and fish oil can help thin the blood but am not certain since I have not researched it. I love looking things up. Staying well hydrated can be helpful though so the blood isn't as thick. But please take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv . But before surgery they tell you to stop taking certain things since they can affect the clotting of the blood. Of course aspirin too.

Here is a list of non prescription blood thinners to stop taking before surgery for you, and the source:

Non-prescription (over-the counter or herbal) anticoagulants include:
  • Aspirin (in many versions)
  • non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) (in many versions)
  • Vitamin E
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • ginkgo biloba
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/howa...r_surgery.html

WebMd has a big long list of herbs to avoid before surgery since they thin the blood also.

https://www.webmd.com/drug-medicatio...-herbal-risk#1

But please do your own research, and don't take anyone's word as gospel truth. I hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I saw about a $10 increase. That won't buy much, but I'll take it. I forget what my medicare premiums are.
That's cool evening sun. That's better than $10 less . Don't feel bad, I didn't remember either. Had to look it up.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,645,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many lose sight of what is happening in health insurance in the real world . to get a tiny increase in medicare is nothing compared to what others not on medicare are seeing .

the fact someone lives hand to mouth is not the ss or medicare systems fault . it was never supposed to support you . that was up to you to take care of
Just looking at my tax info for 2017 and last April my Insurance Premium jumped from $755 a month to $1080 a month and would have gone to over $1250 for 2018.

Thank god I'm starting Medicare March 1. That will put $10,000 a year back into my account that I was spending in 2017.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just looking at my tax info for 2017 and last April my Insurance Premium jumped from $755 a month to $1080 a month and would have gone to over $1250 for 2018.

Thank god I'm starting Medicare March 1. That will put $10,000 a year back into my account that I was spending in 2017.
Wow, that's crazy expensive Rakin . I bet you can't wait for March 1st to get here. What a relief that will be.

When my ex husband, and I lived in Colorado I had the aarp endorsed healthcare before I met him, forget which one it was, but it cost me zero$ in the denver metro area. But when we moved to small town Sequim, wa on the olympic peninsula it jumped up to over $250 because of the lower population. And when he turned old enough for medicare it would have been twice that. There is no way we could afford that silliness so I canceled, and switched to the government medicare. I had no choice. Glad to see I'm not the only one doing that.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:52 PM

19,916 posts, read 14,238,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I'm almost 70, and had to retire at 60 with the Colorado Old Age pension, and then SS at 62. This was due to chronic illness.
You made a major mistake by failing to file for Social Security Disability. Had you done so, you would have received 100% of your Social Security Benefits right up to your full-retirement age, so you've lost thousands of dollars.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM

71,595 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

i kiss the ground i am on medicare and ss and it works the way it does . i got a notice today from our supplement it is going up 40 a year . heck if it was 40 a month it would be a steal compared to what is going on with premiums . i was paying 6k a year with A 4500.00 DEDUCTIBLE . if i was not on medicare it was going up 22%

Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM

786 posts, read 894,545 times
I get mine on the 3rd of every month and it amounted to $75 for me and the two kids. I think part of that is the fee for sending overseas went down as I was paying $30 a month for the three deposits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or