U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM

2,532 posts, read 949,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You made a major mistake by failing to file for Social Security Disability. Had you done so, you would have received 100% of your Social Security Benefits right up to your full-retirement age, so you've lost thousands of dollars.
You can't get disability unless you have extensive medical records, and I couldn't afford doctors. It was enough to make rent, and eat etc. So in effect I have lost nothing. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Last edited by mlulu23; 01-17-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 PM

1,198 posts, read 434,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My Medicare part B went up so my net SS in the bank was less.

May be the same with you check
Yup..I'm DOWN $140.

So don't complain, OP, and I won't.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 PM

2,532 posts, read 949,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Yup..I'm DOWN $140.

So don't complain, OP, and I won't.
Hi Pamela, I like that name, you don't see it that often anymore. It's a good name . Do you mean like I have $10 to go with medicare getting caught up with the col increases, and you have $140 to go???
Oh boy! Well that bites the big one. I'm sorry, I didn't even know that was possible. I'm learning a lot today. I didn't know how any of this worked before I posted this thread. Thanks to all the kind posters who patiently explained things . I wish we had hearts for emos.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 957,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I get my SS on the third Wed of every month, and was excited to see how much my small increase would be. But upon opening the email from my bank this morning I found there was no increase at all for me. Not one red cent. Gee, thanks for nothing! Did it get eaten up by medicare? What a big disappointment that was . I'm almost 70, and had to retire at 60 with the Colorado Old Age pension, and then SS at 62. This was due to chronic illness.

Did anybody get a SS COL increase that showed up in your bank account? Thanks for any responses.

And before the grumps start giving me grief, I've had serious health issues for the last 21yrs, which prevented me from preparing for the inevitable the way I wanted to. Or at least working longer which I had planned to do. So don't even start, until you have walked a mile in my shoes. You never know when life will throw you a curve ball, and everything will be turned upside down. The recent divorce didn't help at all either.
I got a $28./month increase but they also raised my Medicare payment $24./month so I see a whole $4. which really doesn't do much. I can buy a few cans of cat food for the cat or 2 gallons of milk.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,188,225 times
There have been a lot of threads about this since last year.

Some of you got the increase but it was eaten up by an increase in Medicare premium.

I got the full 2%. So did you. But it netted out to zero. I'm not on Medicare. Many retirees like you who have been paying less than the standard rate for the past several years saw a jump in their premiums. And some of you, yet, will still pay LESS than everyone else because the increase in SS was not enough to cover it.

You can review the figures on the Social Security website under your account where they issued you a "letter" explaining it.

Or other sources.

https://money.usnews.com/money/retir...tirees-in-2018

Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I got a $28./month increase but they also raised my Medicare payment $24./month so I see a whole $4. which really doesn't do much. I can buy a few cans of cat food for the cat or 2 gallons of milk.
Because you've been paying less than others for the past years.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,057,100 times
I got $23 more. Not on Medicare yet.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh ok, so I guess I should be thankful that my SS "check" stayed the same, and didn't go down any, sigh. Thank you.
Since you know that won't happen I guess that was just snark. I would be thankful I was paying LESS than other people all this time for Medicare Part B, though.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,884,308 times
Mine is up $20.00, SO is down $3.50 Net nevermind.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM

21,534 posts, read 43,962,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My Medicare part B went up so my net SS in the bank was less.

May be the same with you check
You must be high income. Those in the first income-tier for Part B premium are held harmless if the COLA does not bring their Part B premium up to the current $134.
Quote:
How could the “hold harmless” rule protect me from higher premiums?

The hold harmless rule applies to most, but not all, Social Security recipients. In order for you to be among those protected, or held harmless, you must have been enrolled in Part B before 2017 with premiums deducted from your Social Security check.

If you’re delaying Social Security benefits but are benefiting through Medicare Part B, the protection would not apply and you would be subject to the higher premiums.

Hold harmless also does not apply to those 5% of beneficiaries who fall into high income brackets. They will pay higher premiums based on a scale, depending on their modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) reported on their tax returns two years ago. For individuals who reported over $85,000, the premium in 2017 will rise to $187.50, up from $170.50 this year (for married couples, income must exceed $170,000). Those with even higher incomes will pay more, topping out at $428.60 for those with incomes over $214,000 (over $428,000 for couples).

Essentially, the hold harmless rule does not protect those who are new to Social Security nor high-income people.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ries/93824166/
This, from CMS on those who might find their benefits reduced:
Quote:
Medicare Part B enrollees not subject to the “hold harmless” provision include beneficiaries who do not receive Social Security benefits, those who enroll in Part B for the first time in 2018, those who are directly billed for their Part B premium, those who are dually eligible for Medicaid and have their premium paid by state Medicaid agencies, and those who pay an income-related premium. These groups represent approximately 30 percent of total Part B beneficiaries.

https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaRe...017-11-17.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or