U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,211,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The "many" is an oversimplification or maybe just wishful thinking
There are not MANY in my area of TX---DFW area
There is the county hospital and the county does have some clinics scattered around but they can be very crowded and if you need any surgery or serious testing you might have to wait unless there is real emergency...
So I think it very much depends on the area you are in as to the number and accessibility of low-cost health clinics...
For dental treatment for low-income/indigent people those can be VERY difficult to find...
I am tempted to say that in states with legislatures/government run by Democrats you are likely to find more free/low-cost health clinics---and that is one reason why TX-which is heavily GOP--doesn't have a lot...because the GOP doesn't believe in making health care affordable for poor people...
Tempted?

No you actually said it. And added even more against the GOP thereafter.

Yeah, okay.

In my FL GOP county we have a not for profit hospital, MANY MANY walk in clinics and so many services I can't list them all.

The guy who runs the mental health clinic is always on the morning news radio program almost begging people to come in.

Not to mention the CONSTANT and I mean CONSTANT charitable events the wealthy residents hold for the "underprivileged".

Why are you turning this thread into partisan politics. Then we'll get accused of hijacking.

For example, WHY do you think Democrats have lost THOUSANDS of state legislature seats since 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 AM

2,215 posts, read 744,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The "many" is an oversimplification or maybe just wishful thinking
There are not MANY in my area of TX---DFW area
There is the county hospital and the county does have some clinics scattered around but they can be very crowded and if you need any surgery or serious testing you might have to wait unless there is real emergency...
So I think it very much depends on the area you are in as to the number and accessibility of low-cost health clinics...
For dental treatment for low-income/indigent people those can be VERY difficult to find...
I am tempted to say that in states with legislatures/government run by Democrats you are likely to find more free/low-cost health clinics---and that is one reason why TX-which is heavily GOP--doesn't have a lot...because the GOP doesn't believe in making health care affordable for poor people...
There are 25 free/income based clinics in Dallas alone.
My county in Texas is rural and ag based..we only have 2 cities..5K each and they each have their own county health clinic.

https://www.freeclinics.com/cit/tx-dallas

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM

735 posts, read 451,563 times
When I had Medicare Part A I delayed signing up for Part B for one year so I could finish paying off my truck, as you can do. Then I filled out the papers the gov sent me for Part B and mailed it in the self addresed return envelope the gov sent with papers. Well, the government, either Social Security or the USPO, lost the papers. They said I never sent them! So now I have to pay an added 'penalty' in addition to my medicare premium every month for the rest of my life.

So the gov finally admits there is inflation and I get a 2% raise. I see my check was deposited in my bank-- the amount--- wait for it----- a measily $1 a month raise.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM

71,672 posts, read 71,801,099 times
like i said , be happy it is not like the real world today , where you get no raise and premiums go up hundreds a month.

i looooooove my medicare and ss and the way things work together .

Old 01-18-2018, 01:11 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,512,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I get my SS on the third Wed of every month, and was excited to see how much my small increase would be. But upon opening the email from my bank this morning I found there was no increase at all for me. Not one red cent. Gee, thanks for nothing! Did it get eaten up by medicare? What a big disappointment that was . I'm almost 70, and had to retire at 60 with the Colorado Old Age pension, and then SS at 62. This was due to chronic illness.

Did anybody get a SS COL increase that showed up in your bank account? Thanks for any responses.

And before the grumps start giving me grief, I've had serious health issues for the last 21yrs, which prevented me from preparing for the inevitable the way I wanted to. Or at least working longer which I had planned to do. So don't even start, until you have walked a mile in my shoes. You never know when life will throw you a curve ball, and everything will be turned upside down. The recent divorce didn't help at all either.
This is only the beginning if Trump and the Republicans continue to the White House and both the House and senate.

I dread the thought of how decimated the US economy will be for the poor and middle class after four years of this reverse Robin Hood-ism.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:12 PM

2,215 posts, read 744,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
This is only the beginning if Trump and the Republicans continue to the White House and both the House and senate.

I dread the thought of how decimated the US economy will be for the poor and middle class after four years of this reverse Robin Hood-ism.
What ? This is not reverse robin hood. This is based on government CPI.
Last year's cola was .3% and the year before that was 0%.
What were you expecting..10% raise, 20% raise ?
If there is no increase in CPI-W there is no COLA.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/cola/

Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,757,042 times
I got an increase. But, I only have medicare Part A.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,039,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I hate Trump and the GOP. Nonetheless - he and the GOP have nothing to do with the recent COLA. The SS COLA is determined by the CPI set by Congress - and revisited from time to time. The index used has long not reflected expenses incurred by many retirees. This is a legislative issue. Write your Senator and Representative. Your plea will be falling on deaf ears - as govt already subsidizes Medicare Part B 75% - and intends to use a less advantageous CPI going forward.

You may not appreciate the Part B premium, but multiply that by 4 to get the amount you would be paying in the real world - at least $536 - and that doesn't include hospital. What little employees (you and I) have contributed via payroll for Part A over our working lives doesn't reflect those costs, either. In the real world, health insurance for retirees 65 and older would be twice/triple $536/mo., easily, with huge deductibles, out-of-pockets, and limited networks, etc. Contrast that w/Original Medicare deductibles of $1,340 for Part A and $183 for Part B with no restriction on Medicare providers. Most working people these days would kill for those deductibles and no restriction on providers.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-19-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 04:31 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
We both got a net increase

Old 01-21-2018, 04:38 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,125,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many lose sight of what is happening in health insurance in the real world . to get a tiny increase in medicare is nothing compared to what others not on medicare are seeing .

the fact someone lives hand to mouth is not the ss or medicare systems fault . it was never supposed to support you . that was up to you to take care of
You and I have much different definitions of the word "security". You do realize, do you not, that that's what the second S in SS stands for?

Of course it's up to us to take care of ourselves. That's why we worked and paid FICA all our lives.

But someone always has to purge up the schtick about how Social Security income isn't supposed to support you. It gets so old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or