Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times

Advertisements

I get my SS on the third Wed of every month, and was excited to see how much my small increase would be. But upon opening the email from my bank this morning I found there was no increase at all for me. Not one red cent. Gee, thanks for nothing! Did it get eaten up by medicare? What a big disappointment that was . I'm almost 70, and had to retire at 60 with the Colorado Old Age pension, and then SS at 62. This was due to chronic illness.

Did anybody get a SS COL increase that showed up in your bank account? Thanks for any responses.

And before the grumps start giving me grief, I've had serious health issues for the last 21yrs, which prevented me from preparing for the inevitable the way I wanted to. Or at least working longer which I had planned to do. So don't even start, until you have walked a mile in my shoes. You never know when life will throw you a curve ball, and everything will be turned upside down. The recent divorce didn't help at all either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i got 40 bucks more but i just went on medicare so i was already paying the higher rate .

you on the other hand saw no premium increase the last 2 years if you were collecting and on medicare . you just saw your first increase in 2 years .

compared to when i was working and premiums soared whether i got a raise or not , this deal is simply amazing .

not only are these premium increases very little compared to the thousands a year we saw but i can't be raised more than i got. i looooooooove medicare and this deal we all have

Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
My Medicare part B went up so my net SS in the bank was less.

May be the same with you check

Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i got 40 bucks more but i just went on medicare so i was already paying the higher rate .

you on the other hand saw no premium increase the last 2 years if you were collecting and on medicare . you just saw your first increase in 2 years .

compared to when i was working and premiums soared whether i got a raise or not , this deal is simply amazing .

not only are these premium increases very little compared to the thousands a year we saw but i can't be raised more than i got. i looooooooove medicare and this deal we all have
Oh ok, so I guess I should be thankful that my SS "check" stayed the same, and didn't go down any, sigh. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
many lose sight of what is happening in health insurance in the real world . to get a tiny increase in medicare is nothing compared to what others not on medicare are seeing .

the fact someone lives hand to mouth is not the ss or medicare systems fault . it was never supposed to support you . that was up to you to take care of

Old 01-17-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My Medicare part B went up so my net SS in the bank was less.

May be the same with you check
Mine stayed the same, thank God. I would have cried if my direct deposit was less than expected. I'm signed up for alerts from my bank for every little thing. So I know when money comes in, and goes out, and I got the alert about a DD from SS this morning. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
Hey, I got a whole $22 increase !! Let's all go out for Ice Cream !!

Don't tell Paul Ryan about this......he is certain that these "Entitlements" are draining the country's resources and leading us down the road to ruin.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
You should have gotten an explanation of your increase and the medicare amount in snail mail a couple of weeks ago. You can also go on ssa.gov to view this info.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the fact someone lives hand to mouth is not the ss or medicare systems fault . it was never supposed to support you . that was up to you to take care of
All I wanted to know is if anybody got a raise. I don't need an undeserved reprimand. Yes sir, I've heard that a million times already (about half of that from your posts, and a few others) . And is why I mentioned not wanting to hear it again in my op. That is NOT what this thread is about. I did the best I could, and worked hard from 67 onwards. If I could do it over again I would make many changes, but it's a little too late for that now isn't it? So being judged unfairly by others for things I had no control over, like health, is decidedly unfair, and untrue. Everyone is different, and has had different combinations of stressful situations, marriages, etc. These affect us each in a different way according to genetics, and various things none of which can be duplicated in someone else since we are all different.

Also, having chronic body wide pain 24/7 for 21 plus years is no picnic I can assure you. 21 yrs is a long time of one's working life that was impacted negatively. If you have your health, be eternally grateful for it, and don't look down your nose at others who don't since you never know if you will be next. I have to try, and do things anyway even though the constant pain is enough to take your head off. So at least I have compassion for those that are suffering too, and can put myself in their position instead of telling them how they didn't do things right the way you did. Things they can't do anything about now. That is not helpful.

Also, don't put all your faith in your riches as the money you saved for can be gone in very short order too like it has for other retirees through no fault of their own.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Hey, I got a whole $22 increase !! Let's all go out for Ice Cream !!

Don't tell Paul Ryan about this......he is certain that these "Entitlements" are draining the country's resources and leading us down the road to ruin.
Hey, sounds good. Every little bit helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement