U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 AM

4,964 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the D issue, even t hose living in Sunny climates come up low in D, unless one is basking in the sun daily..good to stay on top of that regardless. Living in So Cal I was shocked to be so low back in 2006...
I am in the sun daily but do have to find a Dr & get a physical. Like an idiot, I gave my vitamin d pills to my sister in Minnesota. They were over the counter so I'll just buy some more if that's one of the reasons I'm procrastinating.

That actually is why my Dr ordered the tests before, my low energy.

Thanks for reminding me. That will go to the top of the list for tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:31 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That's not me saying that - those are direct quotes from the citation (article) I listed. When sentences are in quotation marks, that means the sentences are taken directly from the article listed.
I lived in the Riverside, Inland Empire area of socal when I moved. It wasn't unusual to get 110 in the summer. But it was made far more miserable in that that 110 was accompanied by 80 percent humidity in the late summer. It's not just the temperature, but the humidity which comes with it. And in the IE, it was also the smog. Summer especially was accompanied by high level smog alerts and there was a bunch of mountains if you looked out of the city, but all you saw was grey muck.

I had ever worsening breathing problems, and tried to stay inside smog season.

But I'll never forget the trip my boyfriend and I made to Phoenix for a convention in the middle of summer. It was super hot there. But it felt cooler than home. The smog wasn't making it hard to breath, but especially it was about 98 percent dry. You just didn't feel as hot.

I regreted coming home from that trip as I didn't need any antihystamines at all there and lived on them in Riverside.

So its not just the temperature, but the whole quality of the air you have to breath. I could live in Phoenix with the heat over the smog and heat and dampness in Riverside. Oklahoma has its moments when you could swear the air was going to run like water, but at least its periodic. This area atleast is free of smog. If I ever move again, the one thing which is an automatic NO!!!!!!! is dirty grey air half the year. OK, at least most of it and where I live, has very little in the way of 'smog', more sticky humidity, and I can manage as long as I'm not sick with bad congestion all the time.

You can't just look at the temperature and rainfall or even humidity, but the whole story of how bad the contamination from smog far more complicates the situation, and while humid is annoying, smoggy muck can effect your health and leave damage when you run.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM

7,093 posts, read 1,780,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Looking out the window, as I do every sunrise & sunset, I always have to catch my breath at the beauty.

I haven't spent a summer here yet & this may be one way of reminding myself how wonderful it feels to be here, when it's so cold & snowy in Minnesota, where I came from.

I'm just glad I'm here & the coldest I've gotten so far is the need to wear a sweatshirt in the morning & evening.

When I think back on the decision progress & the procrastination process I went through & how it took two major falls last winter for me to make the decision to move to a warmer climate, well, I'm still amazed I did it.

But so very glad I did! And I want each & every one of you to make me remember & eat those words when it gets hot here, lol.
Good for you. Actually the summers in most of Cochise county are not that hot at all. Outside of living in Southern California it probably has the most moderate and pleasant year round climate in the country. And the summer monsoons are wonderful.

When I am ready to retire its is top on my list.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,670,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Good for you. Actually the summers in most of Cochise county are not that hot at all. Outside of living in Southern California it probably has the most moderate and pleasant year round climate in the country. And the summer monsoons are wonderful.

When I am ready to retire its is top on my list.
That's what I'm trying to get back ... southern California weather or close to it (in Texas now). I am more interested in AZ every day.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the monsoons. I actually outran one on my way to visit here. I stopped for gas & there was this HUGE dark cloud & I asked what it was & they looked at me strangely & told me it was a monsoon.

I thought it was a tornado, lol, because that's what it looked like to me. I made it to the motel in NM before it started pouring out. It was awesome.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

746 posts, read 481,954 times
I'm happy AZ is working out for you, Meo! I agree that Cochise County has a very nice climate. You'll get hot days, as you saw in Sept., but nothing as hot as Phoenix or even Tucson. It is a beautiful area!

I can't remember if you have been to visit Bisbee yet? If not, it would be a fun day trip if you like funky, artsy towns.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I'm happy AZ is working out for you, Meo! I agree that Cochise County has a very nice climate. You'll get hot days, as you saw in Sept., but nothing as hot as Phoenix or even Tucson. It is a beautiful area!

I can't remember if you have been to visit Bisbee yet? If not, it would be a fun day trip if you like funky, artsy towns.
Another one of my procrastination's. It's high on my list though. I'll probably fall in love with the town when I go there. I love artsy towns. Actually, I love art in any form. Paintings, music & the written word.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 PM

966 posts, read 918,839 times
Hey, Meo, welcome to Arizona! I moved from the Midwest to Valley of the Sun about 8 years ago, primarily for my health. In that regard it's been a very good move. I had horrible sinus problems all year round---very seldom have any here---and the pain from fibromyalgia was very bad. I do experience some pain here, but it's usually during monsoon season, and often isn't as severe. I think I may have had SAD, too---hated the dreary, overcast skies---so absolutely love the sunshine. I miss the seasonal changes, as Fall has always been my favorite time of year. I wish I were able to get out more, as I would explore the state. By Sept I am getting weary of the extreme heat, but am so doggone grateful to be away from the snow/ice/endless rain and humidity that I cope. It surprises me when I give in and turn on the a/c in April some years, but that's ok, as no huge heating bills in winter. The only problem I have is all of the traffic and no low cost public transportation or even any real "town" where I live. It has been hard to make friends due to mobility issues for me, and I sure miss those dear old friends "back home", but have some new ones here. I think my next move will be to remain in Az. but go to an over 55 community with a clubhouse, activities, pool, and van for transportation, if I can find one I can afford. All in all I think the move was a good one for me, and I hope you will find that it is for you, too.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:10 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,542,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
But if you are retired, you can stay out of the worst of the heat.
...not if you want to get natural Vitamin D from the sun.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
FYI staying in the sun too much without protection and you'll probably develop skin cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or