U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,457,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
FYI staying in the sun too much without protection and you'll probably develop skin cancer.
I (cringe) smoke & go outside for that but in a shaded patio. When I was young I realized I didn't tan, but burned instead so have been using sun screen since my teens. I started wearing large brimmed hats a few years ago. The ones I wear have a protective coating, pricey at the time but they were on sale & well worth what I paid for them.

I've made a practice of protecting my skin as it's pretty fair. Didn't appreciate it so much when I was young but sure do now as it's become a habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Nighhtbird,

The whole breathing thing with my allergies is awesome here. Even if I would have not liked AZ, being able to breathe is wonderful.

Then there are the sunny days. I swear, the last few years in Minnesota it looked like I was in Washington or Oregon with the grey skies. Without the benefit of rainy days. Just a lot of grey, ugly sky. It was so bad last summer that everyone was out as much as possible when the sun came out to play. Of course, people in Minnesota due tend to be out as much as possible from spring to winter.

My back pain is better here too. Such a relief. There are still days it acts up but not like it was.

These are the things I take joy in.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:00 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,243,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I (cringe) smoke & go outside for that but in a shaded patio. When I was young I realized I didn't tan, but burned instead so have been using sun screen since my teens. I started wearing large brimmed hats a few years ago. The ones I wear have a protective coating, pricey at the time but they were on sale & well worth what I paid for them.

I've made a practice of protecting my skin as it's pretty fair. Didn't appreciate it so much when I was young but sure do now as it's become a habit.
Meo, I hope you will seriously consider taking care of your LUNGS!!!!

My two sisters died from lung cancer and it ain't pretty.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:44 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,543,470 times
Quote:
Nighhtbird,

The whole breathing thing with my allergies is awesome here. Even if I would have not liked AZ, being able to breathe is wonderful.

Then there are the sunny days. I swear, the last few years in Minnesota it looked like I was in Washington or Oregon with the grey skies. Without the benefit of rainy days. Just a lot of grey, ugly sky. It was so bad last summer that everyone was out as much as possible when the sun came out to play. Of course, people in Minnesota due tend to be out as much as possible from spring to winter.

My back pain is better here too. Such a relief. There are still days it acts up but not like it was.

These are the things I take joy in.
When I was visiting my friend, we started out in Phoenix. It was hot and just the end of summer. But before I regretably had to go home, we went north to see the Grand Canyon, and the Metour, and the weather was way different. I remember it was the first time I used my jacket. We went back south through the hilly wooded area. I'd move there over a lot of places, but you got that cost of living dilema. Of course, I missed the company too.

I've been to Arizona other times. Once was a convention which usually occurs at a hotel where it's all inside the hotel. This one all the buildings were seperate, and it was monsoon season and we all learned to take care then. Future conventions were held where the deluge stayed outside.

Sometimes I wish there was more $$$ around and I could place less importance on cost. But you do the best you can. The strongest value in where I live now is cost, since you can get around a lot of things but not that. And most of the year, I've come to actually enjoy the change of seasons. What I need to find is a way to get outta Dodge once in a while, hopefully for a convention, but can't just lock up the door and tell the critters to feed themselves. And without them, I wonder if anything would be here.

Push comes to shove, I look at the good stuff and the middling and the bad, and there's plenty of reasons for staying. But if I was planning it, Arizona would be a major option.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:59 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Quote:

I (cringe) smoke & go outside for that but in a shaded patio.
Not to pry into personal business, but you bring up your smoking (which sounds life-long?) and 'allergies' and your difficulties breathing.

Could you have the beginnings of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) from smoking or some of that disease which includes emphysema and lung disease (deterioration of lung functions) and pulmonary/circulatory disease (COPD is not cancer and is very different from cancer).

Not to mention that smoking often causes serious heart disease and atherosclerosis. No need to answer, if you do not feel like it!

Last edited by matisse12; 01-22-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,295 posts, read 3,341,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Meo, I hope you will seriously consider taking care of your LUNGS!!!!

My two sisters died from lung cancer and it ain't pretty.
The two statements quoted above ...........they are 1000% correct!!!!!!
I quit " cold-turkey" almost exactly 50 years ago.............without question it was probably the smartest decision I have ever made.

My late wife of 51 yrs smoked from approx age 18 to 14 months before her death at age 72.................The cancer spread from the lungs to the brain to the liver and then to the pancreas!!!

Those last 14 months were a never-ending cycle of Chemo treatments and Radiation treatments(122 total) & (5987 miles driven for treatments)........ Hospital confinement and Hospice took care of the last few weeks after 13 1/2 months of "Home-Health Care" .......provided solely by me!!!!!!!......No Cook..No Cleaning Lady...No Nurse or CNA.........just me.................
.........The best descriptive phrase for those 14 months:........HELL ON EARTH.
The "Grand Total Medical Costs" were $226,560 .........Thank God insurance covered a significant portion, otherwise I would have had to sell my home.
..........So yes "meo"..............."""...One word--------Q U I T """"....And pray you die a "normal death", not the result of incurable cancer.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:19 PM

Last time I mention that one.

The breathing problem is the allergies. My lungs are clear, according to my Dr. I have cut down extensively, especially since I go outside.

I'll quit when I'm ready, etc., etc.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
As I've aged, I became conscious of the fact that the maternal side of the family has the susceptibility-towards-cancer dna, that whole side (of my maternal 2nd-3rd cousins) develop it a lot as time passes & one of my few first cousins passed from it in her 50's; my mother has survived 2 different types. So while AZ holds some interest to me, & I will make a maiden visit to Phoenix/Tucson/Flagstaff probably this year, I think the relentless summer heat + the potential liability for melanoma will nix a relocation, but who knows, never say never... I have a complexion designed for foggy & misty Northern European climes.

Also recently I had a CT scan that confirmed an earlier misdiagnosis about past heart damage, but that good news was leavened by a "... but the scan showed nodes on your lungs..." Google says that that is typically 95% benign, so I'm going with those odds until the next scan. I stopped smoking 18 years ago, & probably smoked on & off just less than 50% of the 30 years previous & hoped all was well by now in the lung recovery business. What's done is done & I'm heartened by the fact that I have no inclination to smoke again, stopping was difficult.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
...What's done is done & I'm heartened by the fact that I have no inclination to smoke again, stopping was difficult.
I've had heroin addicts in treatment say that quitting cigarettes is harder than heroin. I guess it's like any addiction- some people are biologically more likely to have trouble stopping or cutting back and others can do it more easily. I do think there's a lot of biology involved, unspecified.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:56 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,543,470 times
Quote:
Last time I mention that one.

The breathing problem is the allergies. My lungs are clear, according to my Dr. I have cut down extensively, especially since I go outside.

I'll quit when I'm ready, etc., etc.
My parents smoked like chimnehs. Everything in our house was covered by grey stick residue. Mom kelp complaining about it. I didn't complain since it had always been like that.

Dad died from cancer, a tumor which grew on the BACK of the lungs and didn't show in exams. It restricted his breathing so much he had bad restriction of oxygen, and went from a little forgetful to full on amnesia. He forgot things, and places and people. Before he died he'd look at me and didn't know who I was.

Mom had an anurism which burst, but had difficulty breathing at times and had to sit and catch her breath. She was also very exhausted. She died instantly when it burst, but the effect of the smoke would get her eventually.

When I got an evaluation in a physical, they tested my normal breathing capacity, and turns out one reason I get tired easy is I have only threee quarters lung capacity, from growing up breathing their smoke.

Not lecturing, as I also have major allergy problems, and especially with allergy meds which hit me like a mac truck, especially at normal dosages. Currently I take a small sip of the pink surgary kids benedryl, and it still zones me a bit, but along with the sensitivity of the meds it seems to work just as well in small amounts.

But I'll say most of the people I loved who were family died directly or indirectly from their smoking habit, and none of my cousins still smoke. Quit when you choose, but keep the air around those you call company clear of it for their sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or