U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I love the desert but hate the 120-degree heat that is common in the more populated parts of Arizona. I settled in Rio Rancho, NM, where it is 89 degrees and 23% humidity on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. We seldom top 100 degrees. At this elevation (5500 ft) and single-digit humidity, I don't need AC or the expense that goes with it but some folks with allergies or breathing issues might. This is a perfect four-season climate. I'm from Missouri and know how stifling and debilitating high humidity and high temperatures can be...as well as the ice and snow storms in Winter.

So much hyperbole.

In Tucson, the highest recorded high was 117F.

In Phoenix, the highest recorded high was 122F and that has only occurred on handful of occasions.

The average high in Tucson is 98F for the months of June, July and August.

The average high in Phoenix is 105F for the months of June, July, and August.

Even when the temperature in Arizona is highest, it is far more pleasant than my ten summers in St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,437,354 times
You go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned garage to your air conditioned car to whatever venue to which you are headed, which, of course, is air conditioned.

Heat isn't a problem.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM

1,322 posts, read 646,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned garage to your air conditioned car to whatever venue to which you are headed, which, of course, is air conditioned.

Heat isn't a problem.
Unless, you are an outdoor person.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Heat isn't a problem.

I don't know where you're at, but it's my experience that almost all garages in Arizona are not heated or air conditioned.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
Here in southwest Colorado at 7,000 feet, the monsoon season has been a bust. Some interesting clouds, a few spatters, and no significant rain. Meanwhile, there was one deluge that about 13 miles away that smashed up the Million Dollar Highway and washed a piece of it out.

My town is considering going to the third level of drought actions, partly in caution for another dry winter next year.

Every day, the people who drive down to the reservoir and park for fishing and non-motorized boating are getting further and further away as the water level continues to drop. (I just got a pedal kayak and my life jacket today. Sooner or later, I'll be one of those receding people).

Old 08-16-2018, 05:21 PM

746 posts, read 482,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Meanwhile, there was one deluge that about 13 miles away that smashed up the Million Dollar Highway and washed a piece of it out.
^^^^This is a truly frightening sentence! That highway is scary at the best of times. Beautiful, but scary.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
^^^^This is a truly frightening sentence! That highway is scary at the best of times. Beautiful, but scary.
I like my life in Arizona Nice to have a Quality of Life option in USA...

I remember going to work with my dad when he was working on this SW Colorado Highway...

If you like these type highways...
Don't miss the "Beartooth" (NE Yellowstone into MT)

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways
https://backroadplanet.com/national-scenic-byways/

I like to take these routes at slightly before dawn especially on Sundays. You can see a lot of the route very quickly and come back and try the challenging parts at high speed.

My latest discovery of a very nice scenic route 12 was between Capital Reef and Bryce. (not so far from Million Dollar Highway)
https://www.myutahparks.com/road-tri...f-scenic-drive

To go 'beyond' this experience...
South American Mountain roads.
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...south-america#

Old 08-18-2018, 05:20 PM

6,563 posts, read 3,662,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
So much hyperbole.

In Tucson, the highest recorded high was 117F.

In Phoenix, the highest recorded high was 122F and that has only occurred on handful of occasions.

The average high in Tucson is 98F for the months of June, July and August.

The average high in Phoenix is 105F for the months of June, July, and August.

Even when the temperature in Arizona is highest, it is far more pleasant than my ten summers in St. Louis.
Iím sorry ó Iíll change that to 115F. Albuquerque once reached 107F for a record high. I can recall a summer in Missouri with most of a week 112F at unbearable humidityó squirrels were falling out of trees...people werenít doing much better. AC was a lifesaver.
Right now itís 86F here in NM with a thunderstorm (monsoon season) with humidity in the 30s. Our hottest month is June and we might hit 100F for a few hours on a few days then.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,900,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Iím sorry ó Iíll change that to 115F. Albuquerque once reached 107F for a record high. I can recall a summer in Missouri with most of a week 112F at unbearable humidityó squirrels were falling out of trees...people werenít doing much better. AC was a lifesaver.
Right now itís 86F here in NM with a thunderstorm (monsoon season) with humidity in the 30s. Our hottest month is June and we might hit 100F for a few hours on a few days then.
Great story. Anything that cuts down the squirrel population is okay with me.

But...what were the people doing up in the trees?

Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 PM

6,563 posts, read 3,662,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

But...what were the people doing up in the trees?
Itís a Missouri thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or