U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2018, 07:32 PM
 
628 posts, read 402,322 times
Reputation: 3541

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Looking out the window, as I do every sunrise & sunset, I always have to catch my breath at the beauty.

I haven't spent a summer here yet & this may be one way of reminding myself how wonderful it feels to be here, when it's so cold & snowy in Minnesota, where I came from.

I'm just glad I'm here & the coldest I've gotten so far is the need to wear a sweatshirt in the morning & evening.

When I think back on the decision progress & the procrastination process I went through & how it took two major falls last winter for me to make the decision to move to a warmer climate, well, I'm still amazed I did it.

But so very glad I did! And I want each & every one of you to make me remember & eat those words when it gets hot here, lol.
You have no idea how happy I am that you are doing so well! I have been praying for your happiness since the first post I saw of yours. You are such a wonderful person and have always been one of my very favorites here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,960 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Reputation: 10475
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
You have no idea how happy I am that you are doing so well! I have been praying for your happiness since the first post I saw of yours. You are such a wonderful person and have always been one of my very favorites here.
Well thank you, Vicky. As for the summer, it hasn't been bad at all. Nice & cool in the mornings and evenings so, as long as I stay in during the hot hours it's just fine.

I remember being a kid in Minnesota, when the humidity was so high you could barely breathe. We were poor & fans were for the parents & downstairs. One summer there was a hole in the screen & mosquitoes swarmed in. I shared a bed with one of my sisters & we covered up, which of course made the night worse. It was a horrible night.

Funny how those images & memories are still so vivid. No wonder I loved it when I visited here. No mosquitoes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 PM
 
68 posts, read 23,415 times
Reputation: 138
Default Marino 760

let me blunt back to you. The last time I looked I can say what I want to say or do you Marino want to control others speech. I was simply stating what others saw and I agreed that I saw that too. Why are you even commenting when you haven't been here and see what I see. What I do see is crosses on corners because someone on a bike tried to ride down a street because the city doesn't bother putting in bike lanes, nor sidewalks, and these poor folks were killed. I will comment on it! I will go to a city council meeting and encourage the city to put in bike lanes, and sidewalks. and frankly when I see something that can be better I will speak up and not feel afraid to do so because someone like you will yell at me. You need to go and yell at someone else Mr. Marino.but, its not going to be me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2018, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Reputation: 15545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
let me blunt back to you. The last time I looked I can say what I want to say or do you Marino want to control others speech. I was simply stating what others saw and I agreed that I saw that too. Why are you even commenting when you haven't been here and see what I see. What I do see is crosses on corners because someone on a bike tried to ride down a street because the city doesn't bother putting in bike lanes, nor sidewalks, and these poor folks were killed. I will comment on it! I will go to a city council meeting and encourage the city to put in bike lanes, and sidewalks. and frankly when I see something that can be better I will speak up and not feel afraid to do so because someone like you will yell at me. You need to go and yell at someone else Mr. Marino.but, its not going to be me!

Tucson is one of the most bike-friendly cities there is and I hear about bike deaths there on a regular basis. So putting in bike lanes is not necessarily the answer. The biggest problem is arrogant bikers who think they have the right of way. Whether they do or don't is immaterial when it comes to bike vs motor vehicle accidents. Bikers are going to lose almost every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 AM
 
Location: Washington State
18,451 posts, read 9,554,421 times
Reputation: 15734
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
You have no idea how happy I am that you are doing so well! I have been praying for your happiness since the first post I saw of yours. You are such a wonderful person and have always been one of my very favorites here.
Wow, I wish I was as kind hearted as you evidently are....repped you.

I am interested in SV still, hope to travel to see it after I retire....I tried to retire a couple of times but my company keeps throwing opportunities my way and I'm trying to learn to say no...now in Baku Azerbaijan at least until January. I'm determined to retire when this job is finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM
 
52 posts, read 39,785 times
Reputation: 56
Threads like this are pretty fascinating and fun to read. What seems absolutely clear to me is that there are no places that offer it all - and those that are close to doing so are overpopulated. Most don't like extreme heat or cold; certainly not for extended periods. This is why we have opted to join the millions of snow or sunbirds who follow the nice weather. We have a home in southwest MT and a park model in Yuma. In addition to avoiding weather extremes, the change of scenery helps keep any one place from becoming stale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 PM
 
5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Reputation: 13693
It might be interesting to have a thread such as 'Do you really love where you decided to live in retirement?'

When I was researching places to live in the U.S., so many of the best places in the U.S. have major or fairly major drawbacks........hurricanes, wild fires, floods, massive landslides, earthquakes, gridlock traffic, heavy toxic air pollution, polluted water at beaches, needing to evacuate one's dwelling, high storm surges similar to tsunamis, extremely high temperatures for too many days per year, extreme humidity.

(definition of best varies by preference, opinion, expectations)

As for one place or multiples places in the U.S. 'offering it all', I'm not certain.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-06-2018 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM
 
11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Reputation: 18703
I can't think of a single state that is free from natural disasters and or extreme weather such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, high humidity, drought or extreme heat or a lot of snow. If anyone knows one, please tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 04:49 PM
 
5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Reputation: 13693
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

It might be interesting to have a thread such as 'Do you really love where you decided to live in retirement?'

When I was researching places to live in the U.S., so many of the best places in the U.S. have major or fairly major drawbacks........hurricanes, wild fires, floods, massive landslides, earthquakes, gridlock traffic, heavy toxic air pollution, polluted water at beaches, needing to evacuate one's dwelling, high storm surges similar to tsunamis, extremely high temperatures for too many days per year, extreme humidity.

(definition of best varies by preference, opinion, expectations)

As for one place or multiples places in the U.S. 'offering it all', I'm not certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

I can't think of a single state that is free from natural disasters and or extreme weather such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, high humidity, drought or extreme heat or a lot of snow. If anyone knows one, please tell us.
I was thinking of specific, very particular cities, towns, and areas in which to retire - NOT whole states.

And one does not retire to a whole state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 PM
 
11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Reputation: 18703
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I was thinking of specific, very particular cities, towns, and areas - NOT whole states.
Thank you, that would be interesting to see also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top