U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 06:47 PM

14,217 posts, read 44,870,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I can't think of a single state that is free from natural disasters and or extreme weather such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, high humidity, drought or extreme heat or a lot of snow. If anyone knows one, please tell us.

Well, Eastern WA is not immune to drought, snow, or extreme heat, but, none of these seem to have much staying power here, no extreme humidity, no hurricanes, no tornadoes (or almost no tornadoes).

It ain't perfect, but it's pretty good.

Of course, Cali around say the aptly-named Pleasanton, has great weather most all the time, but, has cost and political issues such that I won't consider that area, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 06:53 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, Eastern WA is not immune to drought, snow, or extreme heat, but, none of these seem to have much staying power here, no extreme humidity, no hurricanes, no tornadoes (or almost no tornadoes).

It ain't perfect, but it's pretty good.

Of course, Cali around say the aptly-named Pleasanton, has great weather most all the time, but, has cost and political issues such that I won't consider that area, myself.
Phleasanton is in the Bay area and subject to the occasional very large earthquake so it's way up there on the scale for natural disasters.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 PM

745 posts, read 481,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It might be interesting to have a thread such as 'Do you really love where you decided to live in retirement?'
Well, I really love that I am retired! And, where I live is pretty cool too, but not perfect. But, I. am. retired!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:05 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It might be interesting to have a thread such as 'Do you really love where you decided to live in retirement?'

When I was researching places to live in the U.S., so many of the best places in the U.S. have major or fairly major drawbacks........hurricanes, wild fires, floods, massive landslides, earthquakes, gridlock traffic, heavy toxic air pollution, polluted water at beaches, needing to evacuate one's dwelling, high storm surges similar to tsunamis, extremely high temperatures for too many days per year, extreme humidity.

(definition of best varies by preference, opinion, expectations)

As for one place or multiples places in the U.S. 'offering it all', I'm not certain.
That would be a great thread starter, but that OP would have to understand that they would soon be overwhelmed by comments about how they were totally wrong, and that their area can't possibly be a good place to retire based on...blah, blah, blah. Seems there is little understanding on this forum for individualism...it appears to be frowned upon.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Well, I really love that I am retired! And, where I live is pretty cool too, but not perfect. But, I. am. retired!

I admit I am biased but having lived quite a few places around the country I still think this is the BEST place to live. May not be "perfect" but close enough for me and, evidently, for you too!

Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
I can't think of a single state that is free from natural disasters and or extreme weather such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, high humidity, drought or extreme heat or a lot of snow. If anyone knows one, please tell us.
SE Utah comes close. No natural disasters but yes, extreme heat in the summer. But it's a DRY HEAT, LOL. Didn't stop us from recreating. You get down as far as St. George, you won't even have snow.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 AM

745 posts, read 481,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I admit I am biased but having lived quite a few places around the country I still think this is the BEST place to live. May not be "perfect" but close enough for me and, evidently, for you too!
You bet!!

Old 09-07-2018, 12:14 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
You bet!!

But, you know, we really need to keep it quiet!! (- :

Old 09-07-2018, 12:24 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
April through September.... not brutal heat most of the day?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,954,741 times
Quote:
Of the places I’ve lived. Portland OR has the most benign weather. Summers are gorgeous. Rest of the year is mostly cloudy but not terribly cold. Tornadoes, thunderstorms, and hail are very rare. Even heavy rain is not common... mostly it just drizzles. Over three years living there I can recall seeing lightning exactly once. There are some driving hazards, such as fog, and the occasional ice storm, but if one doesn't need to commute these should be a lesser issue.

The biggest worry there is probably a Mt Hood eruption, although volcanoes usually give some warning and you could scram if you didn’t want to be around for the excitement.

Last edited by hikernut; 09-07-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or