U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,447,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Looking out the window, as I do every sunrise & sunset, I always have to catch my breath at the beauty.

I haven't spent a summer here yet & this may be one way of reminding myself how wonderful it feels to be here, when it's so cold & snowy in Minnesota, where I came from.

I'm just glad I'm here & the coldest I've gotten so far is the need to wear a sweatshirt in the morning & evening.

When I think back on the decision progress & the procrastination process I went through & how it took two major falls last winter for me to make the decision to move to a warmer climate, well, I'm still amazed I did it.

But so very glad I did! And I want each & every one of you to make me remember & eat those words when it gets hot here, lol.
Are you in Sierra Vista? I've heard that area as well as Bisbee has the nicest overall climate in the US after coastal California.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are considering wintering in Arizona but more likely in Phoenix area however, we haven't ruled out Tucson or even SV for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 2,550,703 times
Ive seen those dust storms around Phoenix on TV, I sure wouldn't want that.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,447,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Ive seen those dust storms around Phoenix on TV, I sure wouldn't want that.
They are crappy for sure. But next earthquake or major catastrophe to hit LA and people will justify why they wouldn't live there too.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Me too. Nothing like wearing shorts and a t-shirt in January ... and swimming outside.

As for the summer months, I can say that the weather in the Tucson area is a lot more pleasant than the summers in St. Louis and the Deep South. And there are days - like today - during snowbird season that we would prefer to be back in the summer when the crowds are thinner.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:26 PM

6,605 posts, read 3,684,120 times
I like northern Arizona — Flagstaff is nice. There is a lot to see and do. I wouldn’t go south because of the heat. Winter snows might be a bit much but I was there in December a couple years back and there was no serious snow. The Grand Canyon was beautiful in snow. I recall driving across I-40 and listening to talk radio and the hair-brain commentators and even crazier people calling in. Arizona politics is interesting.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 01-19-2018 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: off topic, potentially offensive

Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,019,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Looking out the window, as I do every sunrise & sunset, I always have to catch my breath at the beauty.

I haven't spent a summer here yet & this may be one way of reminding myself how wonderful it feels to be here, when it's so cold & snowy in Minnesota, where I came from.

I'm just glad I'm here & the coldest I've gotten so far is the need to wear a sweatshirt in the morning & evening.

When I think back on the decision progress & the procrastination process I went through & how it took two major falls last winter for me to make the decision to move to a warmer climate, well, I'm still amazed I did it.

But so very glad I did! And I want each & every one of you to make me remember & eat those words when it gets hot here, lol.
Even when I was living in Redding and 117 degree summers, I NEVER wanted to move back to WA or TN and deal with snow and sleet and ice and humidity ever again.

it didn't stop me from looking for somewhere even better than Redding, but I really doubt you'll be sorry. The trade-offs will no doubt be worth it.

Plus, even though 117 degrees is never going to feel like 75 degrees - I can tell you from experience, that any temperature in a dry climate will be more comfortable than a humid one.

Good for you! I'm really happy for you.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,787,483 times
I remember reading your posts when your son passed, & also about winters in Minnesota. I think you’re an incredibly strong & determined person to make such a large move all by yourself.

I grew up in the desert, so I would not want to live there in the summer...you will probably be a little shocked regarding how hot it really gets...but during the day, you can escape to the a/c, & summer desert nights are great. And right about now, since it’s gray & pouring rain at my place, I keep having these weird dreams about moving to Yuma...but I’ll be OK come spring & summer.

Desert living will beat slipping on ice & falling, which has happened to me several times since moving to the PNW. Gah, ice scares the **** out of me.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:17 AM

17,423 posts, read 21,267,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Arizona is great in the winter, but I don't relish the thought of ever spending another summer down there. One summer was enough for me.
If you're retired, not working, then why are you up during the heat of the day? It never occurred to you to reverse your sleep schedule for the hottest times of the years?

I've worked the night shift for 16 years now, sleeping every day from 10a-11a to 6-7-8-9p, and I sleep away the heat of the day, and when I retire in AZ, I'll do likewise. I'm a natural born night owl anyway! I enjoy taking a bike ride at 2am, when the streets are cleared of traffic! It's heaven!

AZ has a strong attraction for people to relocate there from the upper Midwest. It's estimated that 60% of those moving there have roots in the Midwest.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 AM

5,967 posts, read 5,317,347 times
I moved to Arizona in the Summer. It was hot when I got here (107). If I moved at a different time of year I would have to listen to people telling how hot it got and asking if I thought I could handle it.

It's not that bad for a morning person. In the summer I do outside things earlier when it is in the 90's. The 90's here aren't like the 90's in the Midwest. They are usually pleasant temps.

During the hottest part of the day the only time most of us are outside is walking to and from the car.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 AM

649 posts, read 554,969 times
Cochise county is what is termed high desert, 4-5000 ft elevation. The weather there is absolutely glorious. Rarely ever hits 100 but still has the low humidity. From purely a weather standpoint, it is almost perfect in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or