U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 02:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times

Advertisements

Arizona is not for me, but seems to be working out okay for my brother who lives in the hills near Payson. For me, it's too hot in the summer and people drive too aggressively in the general Phoenix area. I would be a road hazard because I tend to stick to the legal maximum speed limit. However, there is no doubting the abundant natural beauty throughout the state.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 10:39 AM

745 posts, read 481,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Arizona is not for me, but seems to be working out okay for my brother who lives in the hills near Payson. For me, it's too hot in the summer and people drive too aggressively in the general Phoenix area. I would be a road hazard because I tend to stick to the legal maximum speed limit. However, there is no doubting the abundant natural beauty throughout the state.
It certainly is hot in the summer, but Payson is higher elevation so it's not nearly as bad as Phoenix. How are the winters where you are? Do they seem long and brutal, or not too bad?

Old 09-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,338,641 times
Quote:
I tried acclimating to living in AZ by renting very nice private residences at various times of the year for several years in a row: (starting at age 74 in 2006......was widowed in 2005).

Starting in 2006 in Mesa in town: FEB and MARCH..

Sedona 2007 in town for NOV, DEC and JAN...

Again Sedona in JULY of 2008 in town,
..... and then later 3 miles outside of town on 2 acres up against Forest Land for NOV, DEC, JAN and FEB.

2009 on the far N/E edge of Oro Valley for OCT, NOV, DEC, and. JAN.

2010 on 5 acres, 2 miles outside of Casa Grande in JAN, FEB. and MARCH..

At this point(2010), I decided,..."after over 34 yrs in MONTANA, I'll never find another location that will even come close to providing the various qualities, conveniences and necessities of 'everyday-life' (that I have determined "I need to be happy and content"!

Don't forget I am an outdoorsman and have had at least one dog every year of my life,.....have hunted and fished since the age of 10, and have never "lived-in-town" except the first 5 years right out of college.

Admittedly I am spoiled:............
......14 wooded acres, a home that I designed and built...... (and then went back to work for 13 more yrs to age 63).....on a year-round stream, amazing variety of wildlife, on a private Lane in the woods, 99% complete privacy, no "noise"..............sure, I'm 13 miles from town and the winter-weather for about 3 to 4 months can be a PITA some years, but for me and my life style, ....the "positives far outweigh the negatives"!
So, to VOLOSONG, I also say:..... :I found out:.. "Arizona was not for me".

Having survived a variety of MAJOR health problems and on-going conditions, I'll continue to realize every day, how fortunate I am to be able to continue to enjoy the "fruits of my labor and effort" and had 51 yrs of wonderful married life.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:59 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
It certainly is hot in the summer, but Payson is higher elevation so it's not nearly as bad as Phoenix. How are the winters where you are? Do they seem long and brutal, or not too bad?
Don't want to go too far "off topic", but to answer your specific question; this life-long SoCal boy survived my first winter in North Idaho just fine. It was an "adventure", and I'm looking forward to the next one coming up soon now.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-16-2018, 12:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Arizona is not for me, ... it's too hot in the summer a... abundant natural beauty throughout the state.

I'm still looking for the beauty I found in AZ Highway magazine 40 yrs ago. (desert / rocks / Cactus... I understand) I am sure it is there, but I have not found it yet. like this...
https://www.arizonahighways.com/site...roseditson.jpg
https://www.arizonahighways.com/site...rodpadilla.jpg
(I guess I need to get out more...)

Cochise Mtns (SE AZ) are quite temperate. not so BLISTERING hot in summer.

Tad dry...for my tastes, but great for many.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:47 PM

497 posts, read 272,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm still looking for the beauty I found in AZ Highway magazine 40 yrs ago. (desert / rocks / Cactus... I understand) I am sure it is there, but I have not found it yet. like this...
https://www.arizonahighways.com/site...roseditson.jpg
https://www.arizonahighways.com/site...rodpadilla.jpg
(I guess I need to get out more...)

Cochise Mtns (SE AZ) are quite temperate. not so BLISTERING hot in summer.

Tad dry...for my tastes, but great for many.
Maybe around Payson or Show Low. I haven't been there yet, but it looks like pics I have seen.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:06 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
I've finally decided to take Tucson off my relocation "list" because of the summer heat, dry or no. Weather extremes aren't my cup of tea, I don't think I would be happier in any of the smaller high altitude towns since I'm a city mouse.

Maybe I'll consider being a snowbird? Not something I've thought much about, but wouldn't buy, would rent. If I can get the "list" down to about 6 I can start visiting.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:09 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times
Hefe, I came over to Tucson from southern CA after I retired late last year. The summer heat is too much for me, more than what I thought I could handle. I left in June and went to Germany for 3 months, and that was my way to avoid the worst of the summer. I came back to Tucson a week ago, but the afternoon heat is still pretty intense. My cheap apartment lease expires in November, so I'll put my stuff in storage for a bit till I find a new place to land.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
... The summer heat is too much for me, more than what I thought I could handle. ...
That's the conclusion I recently came to also, but on paper, because even just normal hot weather slows me down too much. Plus I come from northern European heritage so my pale skin, plus my family's history of cancers, means I would be foolhardy not to consider that also in a desert setting for what really would be a random move to get more living space for my $$$ & avoid winter. Pima Co. has the highest rate of melanoma in AZ.

Probably need to consider the snowbird option, not something I've ever really looked at seriously. I have an elderly parent around here so there is no rush to decide.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
For me, a lot of it was timing. The winter before I visited was horrible & the summer was cloudy & wet. Visiting Arizona when I did was perfect timing.

I was a bit worried about how I would deal with the summer & it was fine for me. In fact, September has been the hottest, but it is almost over & October last year was so pleasant, I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

As I've said previously, the areas that were on my original list had downsides that I hadn't taken into consideration until moving away from Minnesota became a priority. My main issues had to do with health & cost of living.

The last winter in Minnesota, when I fell in the ice & snow was the final straw for me. After back surgery, they cautioned me about falling & told me it could undo the good they had done. It really scared me when I fell. Both times were had falls, one broke my glasses. The only thing that really saved me from breaking anything else was that I was so bundled up my back was protected.

I'd targeted Tennessee for a long time but took it off the list because my allergies in Minnesota were so bad & the beautiful greenery, which I love, would have made me as miserable as I was in Minnesota. I realized just the other day that my nose no longer constantly runs, which is so nice. I still have allergies & assume I always will, but they are not as drastic & I can live with them better here.

A big plus for me is that all this sunshine has helped with depression & really helped with my arthritis. I'm content with my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or