U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:27 AM

1,324 posts, read 840,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks Deelighted, I need to take a trip down there, I've just been to Benson, Toombstone, St. Davids (I think it was), Patagonia, Bisbee and Nogales. I do like your climate better than the Verde Valley.

Do you still love it? Are rentals still reasonable?

Yes I still love it here! I've sent you a PM which I hope answers a few of your questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
I was curious about entering Mexico from the U.S. and returning to the U.S. after being in Mexico, which is discussed in posts #226, #228, and #229 in this thread.

If anyone is interested, here is current info on and requirements for doing so:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/documents-...travel-3150203

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/pass...ico-21665.html

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/uspassport.php

https://www.us-passport-service-guid...uirements.html

https://www.usa.gov/enter-us

Last edited by matisse12; 10-06-2018 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 03:36 PM

17,451 posts, read 21,289,337 times
From the USA Today upload: you May use your driver's license to return to the U.S. although it may take you longer.

Yes, when I crossed from Tijuana to San Ysidro there's another line for those not possessing passports. It may take an extra 10-15 minutes, but you pass through.

When I've crossed into Tijuana it's my understanding that if you go further than 16 miles into the country you need a passport. So, with that, Rosarito Beach is only 16 miles south. That limit was to help the Rosarito Beach economy. Ensenada is 70 miles south.

Flying into Mexico, absolutely, a Passport is necessary!

But I've stood in line at the Nogales crossing and ran into a number of American without a passport.

When it comes to Tijuana, you can legally drink over there at 18, and how many 18-21YO's from San Diego rush over there on weekends to party, and how many of those teenagers have passports? And I'm sure there's some 18-21YO's in Tucson that run down to Nogales to party as well.

Back in the late 60's, living in Rochester, MN, the drinking age was 21 in MN, 18 in Wisconsin, and we'd run caravans of cars down to La Crosse, Wisconsin to party on weekends.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:57 PM

2,394 posts, read 7,776,337 times
I use my passport card for land crossings into Mexico. I have a dental cleaning appointment in Nogales MX later this month. The passport card fits into my wallet so I don't have to carry the larger passport booklet. ICE has a scanning machine on the re-entry line into the USA. My passport card gets scanned and my identity is verified a few steps before I get to the ICE agent's desk. They usually wave me on through, sometimes with no questions or nothing said. Very fast and highly recommended.

Now that October has arrived, I find myself suddenly liking Tucson better. My old uninsulated brick apartment with single pane windows and swamp cooler instead of AC just does not cut it for the hot weather. My lease expires at the end of November, and maybe I'll find a nicer place to rent that is well insulated with a good HVAC. I saw some nice places called Tucson Rental Homes in various parts of town, that look sort of like patio homes, all newly refurbished and insulated with double pane windows. It would be worth it to pay a few hundred $$ more in rent for more comfort.

TJ, what part of Tucson did you find a Mobile Home? I remember reading your comments about Tucson Estates, where my mom and stepfather lived in the 1990s. I like it over there, even though it's 6 miles to a grocery store.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:07 AM

17,451 posts, read 21,289,337 times
I'm in a glorious location, near Swan & Grant, Far Horizons Mobile Home Co-op. Only 2 mobile home co-ops in Tucson. This is the better one. Lots of lush green grass, here and there, and vegetation and such friendly people.

Being a convenience junkie I relish this location. Tonite I rode my bike east to Target and Albertson's, roughly a mile, and last week I bicycled to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood grocery store on Alvernon & Grant, and I also rode the 7 blocks south to Sprouts at Speedway/Swan. Also within 2 blocks is a Trade Joe's, Fry's, and the Tucson Medical Center, and 10 restaurants to choose from. So with time on my hands, I can do a lot of "cherry picking" as they call it. Also 2 bus lines, one stop in front of the complex. It also speaks well of my laziness! Oh such grueling work: Putting the key into the ignition of my car, putting the car in gear, using my arms/hands to steer the car, using my neck to see what's in the rearview window, stepping on the gas, stepping on the brake, stopping at a gas station, and all that strenuous work of pumping gas into my car, Oh Lord, all that work I like to avoid!

There a whole array of brick houses and brick apartment buildings in Tucson, I always wanted a brick house as you have less fear of being engulfed in a fire.

Last edited by tijlover; 10-07-2018 at 03:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,477,182 times
That park looks great tij.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:03 AM

13,906 posts, read 25,364,805 times
Wanted to make sure you heard it snowed in Arizona today!

Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,477,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Wanted to make sure you heard it snowed in Arizona today!
Not in my area.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 PM

13,906 posts, read 25,364,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Not in my area.
It was a place called Snow Bowl. I would guess close to Flagstaff? Saw it on the news and thought of you.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
A person doesn't live in a whole state. A person lives in one town or one city - not in a whole state.

(Or lives in one rural area, not in a whole state)

A whole state is not the same everywhere in that state. A state can vary a lot all over the state in many factors and aspects, including the weather.

(not just Arizona, but all 50 or 52 states)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or