U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post

I love Arizona....I am thinking of retiring there or at least snowbirding there.I am happy 4 u,OP.
What do you love about Arizona? Would be interesting to hear what people love about Arizona.

No need to list the freedom from ice, snow, cold winters (except for Flagstaff and that area of dwellers) - although freedom from ice, snow, and cold winters might be one of the main reasons for loving it.

No need to mention sunsets. Both have been covered.

What else? rock formations, desert flowers, mountains........?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,705,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Cottonwood is indeed lovely. However the Cottonwood area does get a lot more snow up there than we get down here.

I think meo made the right choice (sorry AZDB ).

We don't get snow here. Okay, once in a great while we will get a little. I call it 'fallout off the mountain'. About 5 or 6 years ago we got about 5" over New Years but that was a fluke. What tiny bits we might get will be gone as soon as the sun shines on it.

Of course you think MEO made the right decision. LOL You're as biased about your area as I am about mine.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:17 PM

497 posts, read 273,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What do you love about Arizona? Would be interesting to hear what people love about Arizona.

No need to list the freedom from ice, snow, cold winters (except for Flagstaff and that area of dwellers) - although freedom from ice, snow, and cold winters might be one of the main reasons for loving it.

I love the way the desert smells when it rains.I love the drama of monsoon season. I love the mountains, rock formations, really good Mexican food, many different types of scenery within a reasonable (to me anyway) driving distance. To me, Arizona feels less cluttered and claustrophobic than the east. I love being able to wear capris, shorts and sandals for a good share of the year, instead of being trapped in the many layers and heavy coat that living in many areas of the country requires for several months of the year. My allergies are much better in the southwest. I do not suffer from the annoying post nasal drip and sinus pain that I have year round in the mid west. I also feel much better when the sun shines. I accomplish very little during the cold, gray seasons. Basically I love the beauty, warmth and sunshine of Arizona.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM

6,636 posts, read 3,696,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
UMMMMMM, the Catholic Church existed WAY before Communism!
I know these are apparently people who have been in the sun too long.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 PM

106 posts, read 112,775 times
I'm glad you feel you made the right choice for you OP! We'll be making the move to Tucson in about 18 months when I retire and can't wait. We made a couple of trips during June heat waves, and it wasn't too bad, but I'm used to weeks of 110+ degrees here in Central CA. I'm born and raised in CA, and am so tired of traffic and mindset.

Although I started as a liberal and was for most of my life, I've have become more aligned with the conservative view and that will also match with our future home.

I love the desert, the colors, the architecture, the food, the friendly people, the golf courses, being surrounded by gorgeous mountains in Tucson. I'm a runner/cyclist too, so looking forward to that too.

And rocks. I'm a rockhound, and AZ has lots pretty rock!

Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,579,964 times
Quote:

Isn't where the metorite landed when it crashed from space in Arizona? I've been there twice, but nothing beats just looking at it, seeing how huge it is. My friend and I also took the bus tour to the storage area for planes on the same trip.

There's an area on one of the higher sides of the canyon where there was a large bird singing, and when we'd speak, he'd stop and make another sound, like he was saying hi.

We went up to the tower above Phoenix where they let people stand and look down on the whole city too. It was such a wonderful trip I'll never forget it.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:46 PM

1,324 posts, read 840,354 times
Quote:

I love that every direction I look I can see a different range of mountains. I love the wide open spaces and the fact that you can see for miles and miles. I love how the sunshine and clouds provide an ever changing panorama view of the gently rolling land. Early morning sunshine will sometimes allow me to see telephone poles that are many miles distant. I enjoy looking at the mountains when they are dusted by snow while there's no snow on the ground here.

Most of all, I love all of the sunshine! Even on cloudy days, sometime during the day, there is usually a break in the clouds allowing the sun to shine through the clouds.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,039,847 times
When we lived in AZ we knew some folks (retirees) that were snowbirds without ever leaving the state. They lived down in the valley near Phoenix during the winter and up in the high country during the summer. Elevation makes many different climates in AZ.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 8,337,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
I love the way the desert smells when it rains.I love the drama of monsoon season. I love the mountains, rock formations, really good Mexican food, many different types of scenery within a reasonable (to me anyway) driving distance. To me, Arizona feels less cluttered and claustrophobic than the east. I love being able to wear capris, shorts and sandals for a good share of the year, instead of being trapped in the many layers and heavy coat that living in many areas of the country requires for several months of the year. My allergies are much better in the southwest. I do not suffer from the annoying post nasal drip and sinus pain that I have year round in the mid west. I also feel much better when the sun shines. I accomplish very little during the cold, gray seasons. Basically I love the beauty, warmth and sunshine of Arizona.
That's a real nice description of your Likes...My friend loves Palm Desert, in spite of the hot summers, and life is so much easier as she says. Her allergies are worse in the desert thou.

Here in So Cal I do have some change of seasons but mild changes. Don't like to be cold.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 PM

416 posts, read 202,876 times
We also had been reading and researching Sierra Vista. Finally got the chance to drive there in early Oct. Weather was absolutely beautiful. We were so excited to pull into town coming from the Tucson direction. Not knowing much, due to 1st time there we turned left as we came into town.

Now I know the street name was Fry Blvd. Our excitement got sucked out of us as we drove, minute by minute we would both look at each other not really wanting to speak. Made it to the Target store, went in, looked around, used the facilities and headed out of town. The dreams of moving there ended.

Reading all these comments and others about Sierra Vista makes me wonder if we judged it too quick and harsh. It sounds so wonderful. Climate, COL, scenery and so on.

I'm glad to hear it is working well for you and others and can't stop thinking if we just got a terrible visual of the town without giving it a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or