U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
By which I mean, retired people whose primary residence is in e.g. S Arizona, the Palm Springs area, etc., but who go elsewhere during the hottest months of the year. Where are their primary summer hideaways?
We don't. We are used to the heat. We really do not use the air conditioning that much either. Unless you are sitting outside IN THE SUN it is not unpleasant.

On occasion, we talk about heading to the Utah mountains or the lakes in Minnesota for the month of June, the most unpleasant month. However, we really enjoy it in Arizona in the summer times as our volunteer activities take a break and the crowds of sowbirds fly home.

Personally some of the most miserable weather that I have experienced were August evenings in the Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post

We also had been reading and researching Sierra Vista. Finally got the chance to drive there in early Oct.

Our excitement got sucked out of us as we drove, minute by minute we would both look at each other not really wanting to speak. Made it to the Target store, went in, looked around, used the facilities and headed out of town. The dreams of moving there ended.

Reading all these comments and others about Sierra Vista makes me wonder if we judged it too quick and harsh. It sounds so wonderful. Climate, COL, scenery and so on.
I didn't see any comments about Sierra Vista in this thread except from the OP (meo) who didn't describe the town, and one poster mentioning that he heard the climate is nice near Sierra Vista and Bisbee.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-18-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 PM

1,318 posts, read 835,236 times
Quote:
We also had been reading and researching Sierra Vista. Finally got the chance to drive there in early Oct. Weather was absolutely beautiful. We were so excited to pull into town coming from the Tucson direction. Not knowing much, due to 1st time there we turned left as we came into town.

Now I know the street name was Fry Blvd. Our excitement got sucked out of us as we drove, minute by minute we would both look at each other not really wanting to speak. Made it to the Target store, went in, looked around, used the facilities and headed out of town. The dreams of moving there ended.

Reading all these comments and others about Sierra Vista makes me wonder if we judged it too quick and harsh. It sounds so wonderful. Climate, COL, scenery and so on.

I'm glad to hear it is working well for you and others and can't stop thinking if we just got a terrible visual of the town without giving it a chance.
Oh my! In my opinion, Fry Blvd. is the worst way to drive through SV! There's a traffic light on almost every corner and it's filled with mini marts and fast food joints. The only good thing about Fry Blvd. was the crazy way my Garmin said the street's name (turn right onto Fairy Blvd.)!

I do hope you get a chance to revisit the city - just don't take Fry Blvd!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:03 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
We also had been reading and researching Sierra Vista. Finally got the chance to drive there in early Oct. Weather was absolutely beautiful. We were so excited to pull into town coming from the Tucson direction. Not knowing much, due to 1st time there we turned left as we came into town.

Now I know the street name was Fry Blvd. Our excitement got sucked out of us as we drove, minute by minute we would both look at each other not really wanting to speak. Made it to the Target store, went in, looked around, used the facilities and headed out of town. The dreams of moving there ended.

I'm glad to hear it is working well for you and others and can't stop thinking if we just got a terrible visual of the town without giving it a chance.
I am considering Sierra Vista, Green Valley, or Sahuarita. Oro Valley would be nice, but I believe it's out of this single gal's price range. I have been warned about what they call 'Fry Town" in SV. I just want a nice, clean, and well kept new relocation. I read somewhere that they're working on fixing up 'Fry Town.' I did a little search on Google Maps and found some sketchy areas on Fry Boulevard, so I totally understand where you're coming from since I feel the same way. Of course, I haven't seen it in person yet, but will in due course.

The small town where I live in Texas (well, I actually live 5 miles northwest of town) has some great areas and some absolute dumps. I don't know why, but it depresses me to see the way some people live. I'm not talking about poverty, but absolute laziness when it comes to their yards, junk everywhere, just total eyesores. I guess all towns have the undesirable places or maybe they don't. I don't know, but I'm surely going to find out more about southern Arizona one of these days. I would love to find one that didn't.

I'm from CA, but I've lived in Texas since I was 29. And, to escape the severe weather we have here would be quite welcomed. Never have and never will like it. The humidity and heat don't bother me as much as when I was younger (guess my blood in thinning out in my sunset years), so I can't imagine that the dry heat would be a problem.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
What about Cave Creek or Carefree Arizona. They are up in the hills of northern Phoenix. We were out there a few weeks for a work project many years ago. It was beautiful out there.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I am considering Sierra Vista, Green Valley, or Sahuarita. Oro Valley would be nice, but I believe it's out of this single gal's price range. I have been warned about what they call 'Fry Town" in SV. I just want a nice, clean, and well kept new relocation. I read somewhere that they're working on fixing up 'Fry Town.' I did a little search on Google Maps and found some sketchy areas on Fry Boulevard, so I totally understand where you're coming from since I feel the same way. Of course, I haven't seen it in person yet, but will in due course.

The small town where I live in Texas (well, I actually live 5 miles northwest of town) has some great areas and some absolute dumps. I don't know why, but it depresses me to see the way some people live. I'm not talking about poverty, but absolute laziness when it comes to their yards, junk everywhere, just total eyesores. I guess all towns have the undesirable places or maybe they don't. I don't know, but I'm surely going to find out more about southern Arizona one of these days. I would love to find one that didn't.

I'm from CA, but I've lived in Texas since I was 29. And, to escape the severe weather we have here would be quite welcomed. Never have and never will like it. The humidity and heat don't bother me as much as when I was younger (guess my blood in thinning out in my sunset years), so I can't imagine that the dry heat would be a problem.
I live in a very small south texas town and I know what you mean about the junky yards etc. Very weird.

We were poor growing up but our street was immaculate. I don't know what happened to the families that still live in the old hood. I live in the same town, but in a different part now. But parts of the old hood are just trashed. Same family lines too.

But, I just gloss over that and still go out there and visit with old family friends and ignore their yards

I started going to south padre island and was really surprised that it didn't feel hot or humid out there. Cant' say the same for the Corpus Christi area beaches.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:42 PM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think fondly of Redding and the area toward Lassen. When my ex and I were doing okay and my son was little we took a vacation in Shingletown. We went home and tried to sell, to move there. But I still love the memories. But then I moved to a small town, except this one's in OKlahoma. Without that trip, I'd have probably not come.

I still would move there in a heartbeat if it could be done within my budget but there is no hope of that now that the budget is so low. If something unforseen happened, I'd be back investigating if it might work.

You're so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.
If you would be happy in Tehama County or Plumas County, the Section 8 Waiting list is open there:

PCCDC HCV Program

Plumas County handles the Section 8 wait list for Plumas, Lassen, Sierra and Tehama Counties. They have a list of affordable housing on their website, so click around if you're interested. Once you get a Section 8 voucher, you can then "port" it anywhere in the country (where you can find a landlord who will take it - and all of the subsidized places take them).

The wait list is closed for Shasta County - but - there are a couple of housing projects where the apartments have Section 8 rents. In other words, you would only pay 30% of your income to live there, because their rent prices are based on Section 8 pricing. And, after you live there a year, you then get Section 8 voucher that you can port - even in Redding. This place, for example, is not hard to get into and their wait list isn't usually very long. I think you have to be 62 years old, but you can check it out. It's downtown Redding. Not super safe at night, but not a terrible place to live - just hot in summer.

https://www.cchnc.org/locations/lorenz-senior-housing/

Those types of properties are called "project-based" housing. Their pricing is based on Section 8, even though you don't need a Section 8 voucher before you can move in and get Section 8 prices. So, everyone who gets in - gets a Section 8 voucher (after living there a year, usually) - even if the Section 8 voucher list is closed for that city or county. It's a way to get the voucher. They are usually for seniors, and usually get funding to fix up old hotels in old downtown areas of towns - with cooperative funding from city/county/feds and some developer who gets tax breaks.

There are a couple of them in Santa Rosa, with the same deal, and their waiting lists aren't usually too long either:

https://srcity.org/667/Project-Based...ogram-Openings

Anyway, I researched this stuff for years and was able to get a Section 8 voucher by moving away to Crescent City, and then ported it back to San Jose after a couple years.

It can be done. Heck, there are even a couple in Monterey and I got on lists there, but decided I would rather be in a more populated area with better health care and resources.

Moving is a pain, and that's what you have to deal with in order to get this affordable housing. And to end up where you really want to be, it might mean at least a couple moves. I plan on staying in the apartment I have now until I get hauled off to assisted living or they take me out feet first. I finally landed a quiet 1 bedroom with a balcony and even underground parking back in the SF Bay Area, where I really wanted to be. I'm in heaven. And very grateful for what I have now.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 AM

644 posts, read 476,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Looking out the window, as I do every sunrise & sunset, I always have to catch my breath at the beauty.

I haven't spent a summer here yet & this may be one way of reminding myself how wonderful it feels to be here, when it's so cold & snowy in Minnesota, where I came from.

I'm just glad I'm here & the coldest I've gotten so far is the need to wear a sweatshirt in the morning & evening.

When I think back on the decision progress & the procrastination process I went through & how it took two major falls last winter for me to make the decision to move to a warmer climate, well, I'm still amazed I did it.

But so very glad I did! And I want each & every one of you to make me remember & eat those words when it gets hot here, lol.
Enjoy, I like Arizona, nice place and plenty of winter sunshine, might get a bit too hot in the summer good time to pay a visit back to Minnesota.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 AM

4,974 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Enjoy, I like Arizona, nice place and plenty of winter sunshine, might get a bit too hot in the summer good time to pay a visit back to Minnesota.
The last two 'summers' in Minnesota were cloudy, dreary & gray. There were very few nice days. I often thought that with the weather, I might as well have been in Seattle country.

I'll see what the heat feels like before I go anywhere. Thanks for the thought though.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I live in a very small south texas town and I know what you mean about the junky yards etc. Very weird.

We were poor growing up but our street was immaculate. I don't know what happened to the families that still live in the old hood. I live in the same town, but in a different part now. But parts of the old hood are just trashed. Same family lines too.

But, I just gloss over that and still go out there and visit with old family friends and ignore their yards

I started going to south padre island and was really surprised that it didn't feel hot or humid out there. Cant' say the same for the Corpus Christi area beaches.
For me, it's hard to ignore. Just so tired of it and no one seems to care. And, I live near one of the most popular lakes in Texas and the houses in the 'lake' area are disgusting with some mighty fine ones right near by. I don't get it. In fact, one has to pass trashy areas to get to the lovely homes.

I think that Corpus is the most humid place in Texas and I read somewhere that 50% of the most humid cities in the country are in Texas. My, how I miss my southern California beaches. I just gotta get out of this place. I might never do it but as long as the dream is still alive, there's hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or