U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:43 PM

5,601 posts, read 4,935,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
After natural disasters where dogs have gotten out, they have shown that they will form packs and revert to instinctual living. They will seek out food, shelter, etc. God/nature did not create animals that don't have instincts. That would be cruel. Given time, the animal will figure it out. Some may perish but that is nature.

Haven't you seen cats catch mice? Who taught them that? Ever see cats display stalking behavior? Why?
OMG...please tell us you don't have pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
Sell/donate everything you can't fit in your vehicle and go. You arrive at your destination clutter and care free. At the new place, shop for all your new things used from CL or something similar. Use the money you got from selling your old stuff.

You would be very surprised how much stuff you can fit in a car!

329 posts, read 162,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
bbtm100912: Thank you for your informative post.

I have looked that all up. I did contact one of the lawyers listed that are available to help us. Now I wait for them to get back to me. Since today is Friday and I'm guessing they don't work weekends, I hope to hear from them on Monday. If I don't, I will call them.

Among the recent problems indicated with the paperwork they gave us all yesterday is the fact I've been trying to get them to get me a new toilet. Mine does not function as it should. Does not flush solids. I've called the board of health and was told they have been in touch with management here. That was about 3 weeks ago. I am trying to reach health dept. again. But hopefully the above mentioned lawyer can help, too. (This toilet problem has been ongoing for more than 6 years with no resolution. I've asked them over and over and over again.)

I'm 75 and finding the physical strength I've had is more or less waning. Not the girl I used to be, for sure.
Sorry to hear that but I hope everything turns out alright. None of us are getting any younger, I know.

4,974 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Another thing that should be mentioned is the ever growing number of coyotes in human populated areas. I live in downtown in a suburb off a major avenue. One mile away is a den of coyotes living on the edge of a large park along the lake. Dump your dog or cat either off in place and they become a meal. Your domesticated pet doesn’t have the time to learn survival skills or how to hunt. Even pets left in people’s backyards have met this fate. It’s a growing concern all over the country.

Even an animal born feral needs time to learn survival skills. A domesticated adult cat or dog doesn’t have the luxury of the time to learn to teach itself or a mother to teach it or the advantage of the small kitten or puppy size to hide from prey while learning to defend itself and hunt for food at the same time. As the poor creature is desperately trying to figure out how to deal with the new situation some clueless person put it in, something will be lurking around the corner waiting to eat it.
Wow, I never knew about the coyotes - and so close to town. Whew.

In Minnesota, the part I'm from, many people have barn cats. Often they would go missing, usually Hawks or wolves would get them. You took a real chance on letting a domesticated cat outside, not so much dogs as they would bark & run for home.

I let my cat out for brief periods of time but, thankfully she never goes far. As a matter of fact, she usually sits in my outside chair.

I've had to re-home 3 animals because of moving. The first one went to a good friend when I moved into a no pet building. The second went to my next door neighbor when I lost my house & the third stayed on the farm when I moved into town. It would have been heartless to try keep him in an apartment after the freedom he had out there & he was left with family & I visited often.

A person has to adapt to the animal. What would be best for them? The cat I have adopted now will always be with me. She's a cuddler, which helps, but after rescuing her from a cage she'd been in for 5 months, no, she's family & will go wherever I go.

That's part of what NYgal is going through. Not just her discontent regarding building management but also doing good by her pets.

It was hard enough for me to move at age 64. I admire her for even thinking about moving at age 75. I don't know if I would have the gumption to do it.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Spell check again

Old 01-20-2018, 03:53 PM

619 posts, read 366,044 times
I moved from one country to NY with two suitcases (one large and one smaller carryon). I made another trip to that country and brought some other stuff (and there is still a few things that I will eventually pick up). At the time, I didn't have money to pay for shipping, i barely had enough money to buy my ticket. I did have a job lined up and waiting for me.

I've been here for 2.5 years now.

I am very very very very very happy that I didn't pay for moving stuff - I slowly replaced everything I needed to replace, and am happy living a minimalist life - less stuff, less clutter.

Obviously this doesn't work for everyone, but I just wanted to share that it *is* possible to move with a little more than the clothing on your back. I figured that everything that I need to buy would be less expensive and less logistically nightmarish to buy in the new place.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:57 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I moved from one country to NY with two suitcases (one large and one smaller carryon). I made another trip to that country and brought some other stuff (and there is still a few things that I will eventually pick up). At the time, I didn't have money to pay for shipping, i barely had enough money to buy my ticket. I did have a job lined up and waiting for me.

I am very very very very very happy that I didn't pay for moving stuff - I slowly replaced everything I needed to replace, and am happy living a minimalist life - less stuff, less clutter.

Obviously this doesn't work for everyone, but I just wanted to share that it *is* possible to move with a little more than the clothing on your back. I figured that everything that I need to buy would be less expensive and less logistically nightmarish to buy in the new place.
Which makes tremendous sense. Congratulations on making your move!

Old 01-20-2018, 04:45 PM

9,947 posts, read 11,934,279 times
The best advice I can give: Start selling most of your stuff, give some away to Goodwill or friends in need.

The less stuff you have, the less it costs to move it.

You can also sell most of your furniture. Get creative. (maybe this part belongs in the frugal section) but you can use boxes covered in decent fabric (temporarily) as you start over and buy things at Goodwill or consignment stores. Go slow and build up your furniture supply again.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:57 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The best advice I can give: Start selling most of your stuff, give some away to Goodwill or friends in need.

The less stuff you have, the less it costs to move it.

You can also sell most of your furniture. Get creative. (maybe this part belongs in the frugal section) but you can use boxes covered in decent fabric (temporarily) as you start over and buy things at Goodwill or consignment stores. Go slow and build up your furniture supply again.
That reminds me of something I did before I moved. I had started packing and then had to disguise a box that was sitting on a shelf. I wrapped it in wrapping paper so it looked ok when people came to look at the house.

In the past, I have thrown a tablecloth over a stack of boxes and used it as a side table.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:31 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
I found a website that appears to be a wonderful resource. It is for those of us who want to find a low-income apartment. And they break down by percentages how much an apartment will cost (also calculated in is number of people in family). There is a lot of information. And they have a section that is for getting on waiting lists. They list all the states of the US, you pick what states you are thinking of moving to, give them your email address, and as things become available, I will receive an email.
My lease here runs out end of August/first September, so there is plenty of time to do my own searching. And I'm able to save something every month.
I really like the idea of starting over...... selling/donating my stuff here, picking things up here and there in the new place.
So many great ideas here, thank you all so much.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:45 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't think there is a simple answer. The best and cheapest way will depend on the amount of stuff and the distance. For a local move a Uhaul or similar rental is cheapest. I have done plenty of those moves and would not do one again unless I paid to have the truck loaded and unloaded.

For a modest amount of stuff and a long distance move, a POD might work. Assuming there are suitable places at the starting and final destinations, you can take your time loading and unloading yourself or with minimal help.

Regardless of the details, the more you can downsize in advance, the better. You need to plan on doing your own packing. It is very expensive to have stuff packed. You also need to find a source for suitable used boxes. New moving boxes are very expensive.
Last April we moved 800 miles using U-Pack where they drop off a pod, you fill the pod, they pick the pod up and deliver it to your new location where you unpack it.

We had a three bedroom house but did not move range or refrigerator but did move a small freezer, a washer and dryer, large couch, living room, dining room and bedroom furniture. We also shipped a rider lawn mower that I no longer needed but my son-in-law wanted.

Total for the pod was $1,435.00 (I still have the invoice) and everything got there undamaged in good shape. Took four days for 800 miles.

But being 68 years old I didn't want to move it. My days of lifting freezers and couches up a loading ramp are over. We hired the loading and unloading done, U-Pack contracted with the loaders and unloaders, where they did it all. All we did is put small stuff in easy to handle boxes.... they did all the heavy lifting and loading.

I don't have that exact figure but I seem to remember it ran around $1,600.00 both ends but my memory might not be exactly correct on this. So yes, you can save some money by packing yourself but that is the hard part.

What I learned:

1. Make sure you call for pickup and delivery. They don't automatically do this... just because you load in one day doesn't mean they will pick it up the next day automatically.

2. Do NOT let the movers disassemble any of your furniture because it is not the same team that unloads at your destination. That was the only complaint I had from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post

Good advice.... I paid a little over $3,000 and if you shop around you can purchase a lot of decent furniture for $3,000 even if it is used at the other end.

If it wasn't for the rider mower my son in law really wanted I might... nah, to much sentimental stuff that the kids will just throw away after we pass on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or