U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,895,364 times

Advertisements

If cost of moving is the issue, recalling all the hassles my junk has been over the years, I vote for a big garage sale and a trip to Goodwill with the remainder. When you get where you're going, go to the new local Goodwill once you have a place. As economics get better, replace furniture starting with a new bed.
If it doesn't work out, try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,968,861 times
I think a problem for the OP is finding a place that will accept her 2 cats. I also would not give up my pets, I'd stay put before I'd abandon them.

OP, have you looked into the senior/income based apartments where you are interested in relocating? Heck, if I liked State A and State B, I'd get on waiting lists in both areas until I decided which state/area I wanted to move to. Even if there is a "2 year waiting list" by the time you get things you own sorted, sold, donated and packed up you may get a call, the waiting list sometimes goes by quickly as people drop off the list for various reasons. The 2 years may end up being 6 months.

If they do call you before you are ready, hopefully you can go back on the list without a problem. But be prepared to accept if they will not allow you to decline and still get back on the list.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
You can mail/box/ship some stuff.

Check USPS, UPS, Amtrack, or perhaps even Greyhound. If you go somewhere by train, you can take your stuff with you like cargo, boxed like freight.

Certain things can get a reduced bulk rate called Media Mail. Like books.

I'm planning a long distance move and would never go without some key kitchen stuff since my life revolves around the kitchen. I can mail that.

Also some clothes.

I'd probably replace my computer if I weren't driving but I will be.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,591 posts, read 39,962,822 times
While it might sound harsh (from 50+ yrs of pet ownership)... you can easily find NICE homes for your animals, and it will free you on your initial move.

There will be PLENTY of cats where you land!

We help people out far too often when they have to get rid of pets... and they LOVE living at our place! No fences, no leashes, plenty of barns and woods to seek adventure. I could never move my animals to town / a pen! but... there are 'city' animals who seem to survive.

As a landlord... the last cat cost me $20k (sprayed all the cabinets and sheet rock) Carpet, woodwork, doors, Cabinets and sheetrock had to be replaced. Subfloor too!!!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
While it might sound harsh (from 50+ yrs of pet ownership)... you can easily find NICE homes for your animals, and it will free you on your initial move.

We help people out far too often when they have to get rid of pets... and they LOVE living at our place! No fences, no leashes, plenty of barns and woods to seek adventure. I could never move my animals to town / a pen! but... there are 'city' animals who seem to survive.

As a landlord... the last cat cost me $20k (sprayed all the cabinets and sheet rock) Carpet, woodwork, doors, Cabinets and sheetrock had to be replaced. Subfloor too!!!
I cannot say what I want to say........let it suffice that no true pet owner would ever get rid of their pet(s) to move. We would rather lose a limb than part with our beloved pet. They are like our children, would you give up your child? SMH.

BTW, do you know how many homeless pets are out there? Why do you think it is "easily" no problem to find NICE homes for her cats. Again.......I have to zip it.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:

I totally agree with this. There are lots of organizations that will help you rehome your cats. They make sure they get a good home. You might even be able to keep in contact with the new pet parents and keep up with their development.

I had a relative make the 'mistake" of getting a new pup. I told them not to do it, but they did.

Anyway, they did get the pet spayed before they rehomed her. They keep in touch with their former pet via the new parents. I am really glad it worked out.

I've rehomed cats that were born here by feral cats. I caught and fixed the feral moms and their offspring. Found new homes for them at several ranches around here. I keep in contact with the families and they love being out there. And yes, I have personally visited them to check it out.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:

That's funny to me that you think everyone's house cat who's never in their lives been exposed to the outdoors is going to love being dumped on a farm and having to fend for themselves with "adventures". "Survival" is not the goal for pet cats.

No, you can't find "NICE homes" for cats. The euth rate is enormous. Dogs, too. MILLIONS per year in the US alone.

OTOH, it's true that cat urine is the absolute worst. I would NEVER take cat renters because of the potential expense. But I've never heard of one spraying like that. Doesn't sound like it was just one, to me. You probably had a hoarder taking in ferals.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,347,729 times
The question is not about cats. OP will find an apartment in the new location that will allow the cats... it will just take some extra searching and phone calls.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The question is not about cats. OP will find an apartment in the new location that will allow the cats... it will just take some extra searching and phone calls.
The OP made it about cats, in part. A BIG part.

She's also looking at low income/income restricted senior housing and in case you're not familiar, it's not unusual to have those policies she stated which she cannot afford AND there are waiting lists to contend with because they're desirable.

THAT'S why it's about cats.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:33 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,305,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The OP made it about cats, in part. A BIG part.

She's also looking at low income/income restricted senior housing and in case you're not familiar, it's not unusual to have those policies she stated which she cannot afford AND there are waiting lists to contend with because they're desirable.

THAT'S why it's about cats.
Where did she say she was looking at low income/income restricted housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or