U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM

4,652 posts, read 3,235,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You need to look at the landlord tenant handbook or laws for your state.

In most cases a written (NOT oral) repair request to a landlord, such as for a broken toilet, is made by a tenant.
The landlord then has x days to reply with a repair date.
If not done within the scheduled time frame, tenant has remedies, (in this case) call a plumber themselves and deduct cost from rent.

States vary- you must look up the rules in your state.

All maintenance has to be requested by a written form. So that has been covered for the toilet. But this has been going on 6 years. I know from what I've read online for NY and renters rights, I can withhold part of my rent. But I first want to talk to a lawyer. I don't want to do anything that will backfire on me.

I wrote to the NY state attorney general (for a different problem) about a year ago who did notify the owners/management but that was all they could do. They advised getting a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 AM

3,398 posts, read 3,960,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Who made you the one to define “true pet owner”? While we didn’t even think of leaving our dogs behind when we moved, in some cases there are good reasons for rehoming them before moving. As just one example: someone loses a job and can only find one elsewhere, requiring that they move. They cannot obtain suitable housing for the pet(s). They choose NOT to sacrifice the ability to support themselves; if they stay put, unemployed, they won’t be able to support themselves or the pet.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. Nothing is 100%. The post I replied to was so non-chalant I FELT it was made in the context that pets are disposable. If one HAS to move and cannot take their pet(s) that is one thing, it is another when the pets are not even considered in the equasion. Most pet owners do take their pets in consideration when contemplating a move.

I usually enjoy your posts, your rudeness to mine surprised me.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
While it might sound harsh (from 50+ yrs of pet ownership)... you can easily find NICE homes for your animals, and it will free you on your initial move.

There will be PLENTY of cats where you land!

We help people out far too often when they have to get rid of pets... and they LOVE living at our place! No fences, no leashes, plenty of barns and woods to seek adventure. I could never move my animals to town / a pen! but... there are 'city' animals who seem to survive.

As a landlord... the last cat cost me $20k (sprayed all the cabinets and sheet rock) Carpet, woodwork, doors, Cabinets and sheetrock had to be replaced. Subfloor too!!!

It is harsh. I have a 12 year old chocolate Lab. I can't imagine ever abandoning her. She has been with me since she was a tiny puppy and always follows me wherever I go. At night she curls up right beside my side of the bed. How could I ever leave her behind? The answer is easy...I couldn't.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It is harsh. I have a 12 year old chocolate Lab. I can't imagine ever abandoning her. She has been with me since she was a tiny puppy and always follows me wherever I go. At night she curls up right beside my side of the bed. How could I ever leave her behind? The answer is easy...I couldn't.

I was looking at my cats today wondering how in the world, after earning their trust, could I ever leave them? They spent time in prison (SPCA cages) and who knows where before. I could NOT do it. So if I have to stay here I will. But I will keep looking and hopefully one day the right place will show up for me.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 AM

11,964 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I was looking at my cats today wondering how in the world, after earning their trust, could I ever leave them? They spent time in prison (SPCA cages) and who knows where before. I could NOT do it. So if I have to stay here I will. But I will keep looking and hopefully one day the right place will show up for me.
I feel the same way. I will wait until my dog and my cat pass on before I retire and move. I won't turn my back on them. Sometimes you do what you have to even though it's not the most convenient because it's the right thing to do.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I feel the same way. I will wait until my dog and my cat pass on before I retire and move. I won't turn my back on them. Sometimes you do what you have to even though it's not the most convenient because it's the right thing to do.

Absolutely. They look to us to take care of them. And in my opinion, that is a responsibility that I take seriously.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:46 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Absolutely. They look to us to take care of them. And in my opinion, that is a responsibility that I take seriously.
Animals do not need humans to care for them. God/nature created animals with the ability to take care of themselves.

Your statement is more about your needs than the needs of the animals.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,668,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

Oh, how I agree! I would never, ever leave my dog. She comes first and always will.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals do not need humans to care for them. God/nature created animals with the ability to take care of themselves.

Your statement is more about your needs than the needs of the animals.

No, that's not how it works. I'm stunned by your post.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:

As it should be no matter what strange ideas others have. They are family and need our care. We took on that responsibility when we welcomed them into our homes. Anything short of that makes one a little less of a decent human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or