U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 05:59 AM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times

Advertisements

yea, I've seen and heard of dog packs. Where my grandmother used to live, they were so bad we couldn't play in the yard. The only prey they understood were people and other dogs.

Every so often the adults would hunt them down and shoot them. People still dropped them off. They would form packs and it would start again.

I'll admit it's partly emotional but only partly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 08:56 AM

5,603 posts, read 4,946,856 times
As someone who has moved more times than I would like to admit, here's my advice on the cheapest moving:

*Start going to grocery stores and stocking up on their banana boxes. They are heavy duty, with a lid and handles cut out of the sides. Really great for moving - not too large or small and FREE.

*Pack your stuff yourself.

*Be ruthless on deciding what you will take. Less stuff to move = less cost to move it. (I wish I followed this advice myself, as I still have unpacked boxes containing things I moved but have never used 7 years later).

*Rent a U-haul or Budget Rental (make sure you call the night before to ensure the truck will be there. Last minute "sorry, the truck didn't come back" can make for a hellish experience.) Have a plan B and cancel if Plan A is still valid.

*If moving across country, check out trucking companies who will transport your stuff if they are heading that way with a half-empty load. They park the trailer at your home and leave it a few days to allow you to load, then come by and hitch it to the truck and transport it to your location. Cheaper than hiring a moving company.

*Load and unload yourself, with some friends or family. If not possible, often the truck rental places will know of folks who will do the loading/unloading for a fee.

Best of luck....moving isn't pleasant but hopefully your new location will be worth it!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Another way I got good boxes was from the gas station/mini store by me. They saved the boxes the gallon water jugs came in. Very sturdy & just the right size. There were 4 jugs to a box & they would empty the boxes as they came in & put them aside.

Of course, that was a town of 200 people so everyone knew me.

I did get rid of a lot but also kept my furniture & ended up with 30 boxes plus the furniture. But, my stuff was new, having lost everything after the foreclosure & car accident. I'm amazed I gave anything away, lol.

If I ever decided to move again I'd probably go the route of selling or giving away things & buying from garage sales or thrift stores. The only thing I'd be leery of would be a mattress set. That is better to buy new if you decide to get rid of things & start fresh.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What you're missing is that many of these animals end up starving or freezing to death and have horrible lives trying to stay alive. Loose dogs for the most part end up at the city pound and are euthanized or are killed by cars or other dogs that attack them. Yes, animals have basic instincts. That doesn't usually save them from starving or freezing or suffering when let loose to roam by themselves. Feral cats have life expediencies many years fewer than cats with homes. One feral cat I've seen by my work has an ear torn off and is usually bloody. I witnessed another dying of starvation. It was too late to save them.
It's not nature to raise an animal to be domesticated and then turn it lose to fend for itself. It's simply cruel.
Another thing that should be mentioned is the ever growing number of coyotes in human populated areas. I live in downtown in a suburb off a major avenue. One mile away is a den of coyotes living on the edge of a large park along the lake. Dump your dog or cat either off in place and they become a meal. Your domesticated pet doesn’t have the time to learn survival skills or how to hunt. Even pets left in people’s backyards have met this fate. It’s a growing concern all over the country.

Even an animal born feral needs time to learn survival skills. A domesticated adult cat or dog doesn’t have the luxury of the time to learn to teach itself or a mother to teach it or the advantage of the small kitten or puppy size to hide from prey while learning to defend itself and hunt for food at the same time. As the poor creature is desperately trying to figure out how to deal with the new situation some clueless person put it in, something will be lurking around the corner waiting to eat it.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM

1,906 posts, read 678,402 times
It may not be the cheapest way, but since what I do have is mostly old stuff, I would try to get rid of almost everything and then just go. Buy new stuff as I find a need for it.

I once read about someone who bought cheaper furniture every few years to always keep a fresh and up-to-date looking home. I might try that route, at least at first, until I know I am somewhere that I want to stay.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:40 AM

4,690 posts, read 3,261,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Really?

I gave you excellent on-topic advise on how to do a low budget move - post number 33.

I suggest you stop posting directly to me. You are not helpful with your arrogant remarks. You do not live my life, have no idea what I'm dealing with. You add to the burden of dealing with fools.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,955,586 times
We moved from NYC to SW TN 5 years ago. That move is still fresh in my mind. We sold most everything. As I was preparing for the move, I sorted into 3 groups. MUST keep, would like to keep, it can go. The first sorting was easy to find things we didn't really need to keep or really even see any use in having. Moving from the NE to the mid-south, we didn't think we'd ever need a snow shovel or winter boots as we didn't plan on travelling up north during the winters. We also got rid of most of our dress clothes, knowing that "dressing up" in our new area was not on a par with the northeast/NYC. We had already decided that 80% of our furniture was not travelling with us. We wanted a new bed anyway. Kitchen stuff was my biggest sorting problem. And I kept 80% of it. Books were not an issue, we were already downloading books and I kept only those that were not online or were a full set - Heinlein books, Maxim, and some first or signed editions. I donated or gave away a ton of stuff - we moved from over 4000 sq ft to 800sq ft. That's right, 20% of space.

We had to consider that some of the furniture we did have was oversized for the new home.

As for transportation of our "stuff", we used Old Dominion and calculated the amount of square feet we'd need. It was the cheapest method and we'd do it again.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,261,742 times
^^^^^ Thank you for this. Good info for me to have.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:25 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,229,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
After natural disasters where dogs have gotten out, they have shown that they will form packs and revert to instinctual living. They will seek out food, shelter, etc. God/nature did not create animals that don't have instincts. That would be cruel. Given time, the animal will figure it out. Some may perish but that is nature.

Haven't you seen cats catch mice? Who taught them that? Ever see cats display stalking behavior? Why?
First of all, you're suggesting the OP take an ILLEGAL ACTION in the State of New York. Under Agriculture & Markets Law § 355,

Then....What's their option? Committing suicide? Calling someone on the phone? Get a credit card and go buy food or a blanket?

And no, they don't "figure it out" and have even halfway decent lives. They search in dumpsters and trashcans for HUMAN FOOD that was thrown out. And more often, the come up to where PEOPLE are.

How is a cat going to live on mice in the NY winter? Of course it's not a huge issue since the cat won't live long enough to even try.

Please. Let's stick to the OP topic of moving and what we know about. I guess it's very contrarian and edgy to promote people just start dumping pet animals out on the streets when it's inconvenient and unlawful.

Who would have thought that a thread on moving boxes would devolve into that.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-20-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM

1,327 posts, read 783,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
This may seem foolish to some but having to leave my cats might keep me here where I am now.
Not foolish at all! I have moved plenty of animals around. I also sometimes travel with a few. It makes me sick when people say to "get rid" of pets. I wish I could "get rid" of those selfish/self centered people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or