Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
runswithscissors;[/b]50754506]If you scroll up and read my replies, I gave you the answer.

Their HUD grant expired and now they are no longer obligated to provide the same level of service.

I bet you money on that. If you google the company you can probably confirm it.

I and others gave you alot of information about the toilet and where to call on that gigantic toilet thread. I know you're just venting but please lets' not duplicate that again on a moving thread. I explicitly remember the "ran out of steam" discussion which turned into a big argument.

Great idea..... how about YOU not looking at any more of my posts. After all you are only getting so bored and apparently upset which brings out your rude, critical, selfish self. I hope this is goodbye!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Oooh, I had neighbors who abandoned two cats. One seemed to blend with the ferals easily and one cried at the vacant house door until I took him in, had him neutered and found him a home. (My kitty hated him)

I think you'll find a place that allows your kitties, NY.
Also a PA is not nearly as warm as NC!
Will you be driving? If so, can your car pull a small trailer? Always pack in small boxes. Liquor stores have them. Or get small plastic bins. Down size your clothes, easier to do in a warmer climate. Then downsize your kitchen. Two plates, etc. Even in a car you can take your good small frying pan, a pot, a cup, a glass. Use towels/linens to wrap items in. Maybe find an air mattress on sale to start you off. Once you get there you won't feel like buying the small stuff that really adds up. You can accumulate stuff slowly. Join a local fb page and see if anyone is getting rid of anything - dinette set, etc.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
IMHO the "rude" reply was due to your statement about NO TRUE pet owner. Left no room for exceptions. Never say never. I once gave up a pet bird when faced with a job transfer move. On a logistical level I could have taken the bird along. However, I knew that the climate and the probable living conditions at the new location would be hard on this bird. Could only afford a much smaller house, less chance to spend time free flying, less reliable temperature control, lack of sunlight, and also the lack of any avian vet care there. It wasn't an easy decision and I placed my pet in a new home myself, but it does happen. It was more than an inconvenience. It was a quality of life decision and it was the right one at that time.
That is exactly the reason.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It's difficult to follow the direction and concern of this thread. Is it moving inexpensively, suing unresponsive landlords or taking care of cats and dogs?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
NYgal, I hope you find a way so you can move. My advice is to enjoy one last NY spring/summer/early fall and then head south. There’s no reason to jump out of the freezer into the oven. Time it to enjoy the best of both places starting out.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Depending on how much you have to move, you can go with U-Box from U-Haul. My son used 2 boxes to move cross country. The boxes are something like 5’x8’x7’ tall. You fill the box up and they’ll move them to your new accommodations. I think the cost was under $1,000, but didn’t include pick up or delivery from a U-Haul store. U-Haul does have approved contractors who will load/unload. My son used one to get and unload the boxes and ended up using the same contractor 2 more times.

For larger households, there are companies who’ll rent you a container, deliver it to your house and once you’re dong loading it, pick it up and move it to your new location. Again, you have arrange loading and unloading. It cost them about $2,200 to move from Maryland to Texas. I believe the company was U-Pack.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:34 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Great idea..... how about YOU not looking at any more of my posts. After all you are only getting so bored and apparently upset which brings out your rude, critical, selfish self. I hope this is goodbye!!
Really?

I gave you excellent on-topic advise on how to do a low budget move - post number 33.

Quote:
You can mail/box/ship some stuff.

Check USPS, UPS, Amtrack, or perhaps even Greyhound. If you go somewhere by train, you can take your stuff with you like cargo, boxed like freight.

Certain things can get a reduced bulk rate called Media Mail. Like books.

I'm planning a long distance move and would never go without some key kitchen stuff since my life revolves around the kitchen. I can mail that.

Also some clothes.

I'd probably replace my computer if I weren't driving but I will be.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
That is so not true. A domestic pet is just that-domestic. It cannot survive indefinitely in the wild.
After natural disasters where dogs have gotten out, they have shown that they will form packs and revert to instinctual living. They will seek out food, shelter, etc. God/nature did not create animals that don't have instincts. That would be cruel. Given time, the animal will figure it out. Some may perish but that is nature.

Haven't you seen cats catch mice? Who taught them that? Ever see cats display stalking behavior? Why?

Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
After natural disasters where dogs have gotten out, they have shown that they will form packs and revert to instinctual living. They will seek out food, shelter, etc. God/nature did not create animals that don't have instincts. That would be cruel. Given time, the animal will figure it out. Some may perish but that is nature.

Haven't you seen cats catch mice? Who taught them that? Ever see cats display stalking behavior? Why?
What you're missing is that many of these animals end up starving or freezing to death and have horrible lives trying to stay alive. Loose dogs for the most part end up at the city pound and are euthanized or are killed by cars or other dogs that attack them. Yes, animals have basic instincts. That doesn't usually save them from starving or freezing or suffering when let loose to roam by themselves. Feral cats have life expediencies many years fewer than cats with homes. One feral cat I've seen by my work has an ear torn off and is usually bloody. I witnessed another dying of starvation. It was too late to save them.
It's not nature to raise an animal to be domesticated and then turn it lose to fend for itself. It's simply cruel.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
When I move, I move what will fit min my car. Everything else, I give/throw away and replace from thrift shops as needed in my new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement