U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:45 PM

588 posts, read 344,870 times

Advertisements

I work as a substitute teacher and I can't believe how many parents send their kids to school with severe flu, colds, etc.

I have starting taking any kid that comes to my class with the sniffles or a cough straight to the nurse to check how high the temperature is. 103 is the cut off point and the kid's parents are called to come get them. So is vomiting.

If less I set up a triage in my room where the coughers and the snifflers have to lie on the floor with tissues and hand sanitizers and blankets etc way far away from me and the kids.

I check them, watch them but they are allowed no contact with me or the other kids.

I have yet to get sick this year so far. I am hoping and praying this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,295,621 times
The flu is certainly nothing to mess with. It is really bad this season. I work in a place that does Health and Wellness events and Flu Clinics. So, I do get the Flu shot every fall. However, as we all know, it will not protect you from all strains of the flu as it has a way of mutating. Everyone here at my place of employment is told to not come to work if you have symptoms. Luckily, I have not had the flu in at least 20 years. I believe it does help to eat right, wash your hands several times a day and try to lessen your exposure to as many people as you can during the Flu season. It would make sense that someone that is retired would get it less than someone still working (depending on how many people you are exposed to on a daily basis). It still boggles my mind that someone can die from the Flu. It's tragic and very sad.
Take care people

Old 01-19-2018, 02:34 PM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
It still boggles my mind that someone can die from the Flu.
The CDC says 20 children died of the flu in the first week of January. They had 10 reports of child deaths the second week. Can you imagine how those families feel?

Quote:
It's tragic and very sad.
It is all of that. So sad. And I'm afraid there will be more.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:36 PM

14,407 posts, read 7,926,626 times
We have a 5 year old in our life and I've been sicker this year then I was when I worked. I was a respiratory therapist dealing with flu, pneumonia, and RSV. I got sick on average maybe once a year, but I went nearly 5 years without a cold until that 5 Year old came into our life a year ago.

I was sick three times in 2017 and that;s unusual for me. Maybe I should go back to work. NOT!

Old 01-19-2018, 02:54 PM

7,145 posts, read 2,931,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
When I retired, I took off in an RV for 2 years. I was not around people that much. I was mostly outdoors, getting exercise. In addition I stayed away from cold areas of the country. I was not sick once.

When I returned to civilization that changed immediately. I seemed to have no immunity and was sick with one cold or flu after another for months.
I've had jobs out in pretty remote wild places around one or two other people for months at a time. By the end of the plane flight back to "civilization" I caught whatever was circulating, and I'm usually pretty resistant to the usual colds and flu du joir. Years ago read somewhere that people who have been isolated from contagions for a while can be more likely to pick one up when their situation changes. So many common bugs mutate rapidly, so an immune system with antibodies could be simply "out of date" so to speak. Maybe your immune system can sort of get used to a lower level of threat. Maybe partly an old wives' tale, partly true?

The basics still apply....if you are around fewer people you are less likely to get sick.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 762,089 times
"My question is this: Now that you are retired, is the incidence of FLU you get reduced due to co-worker exposure- or the same?"

yes, now that i am retired the incidence of flu due to co-worker exposure is reduced......because i have no co-workers. so pretty much zero.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 PM

613 posts, read 251,311 times
I have not had so much as a sniffle since retiring 8 months ago. Kind of running an experiment to see if reducing contact with the outside world as much as possible will keep the flu at bay. Had it a couple of years ago while still working and was horribly ill for two weeks. I usually schedule my annual check-up for early in the year, but decided to postpone this year until after the flu season is over. Don't want to expose myself to all of the germs that are undoubtedly lurking there. Also, much easier to get enough rest/sleep now that I am retired, not to mention avoiding all of the commuters on the bus/train that are sneezing and coughing the entire trip. And religiously wiping down the cart handles with antispectic wipes when I am forced to go to the grocery store and wash my hands as soon as I get home. We'll see if my experiment is successful. And I did get the flu shot.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:48 PM

10,522 posts, read 8,765,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
When I was working, I had to have what is known as a 'scrum' every Monday morning to discuss my upcoming weeks tasks to my team. This meant face-to-face reporting while standing around a small table in a small cubicle area. It never failed; during FLU season, there would always be someone there with symptoms, and they wouldn't want to miss work, so stayed on the job until they (and we), were really sick. The problem was, every two years, I came down with some really severe symptoms, and last year, got pneumonia because of this. I was totally nailed by it and didn't work for two weeks. To try to prevent this, the company did its best, and provided on-site medical staff, plenty of hand-wipes and alcohol cleaners available everywhere, and distributed clean drinking containers that were filled with purified water at new touch-less drinking-water stations so we didn't have to contact drinking fountains. Still, with the number of people we interacted with on a daily basis, it was a crap-shoot as to whether or not we were going to be protected. This year, FLU appears to be pretty bad.

My question is this: Now that you are retired, is the incidence of FLU you get reduced due to co-worker exposure- or the same?
First of all, your earlier flu and those of the others around you, would not have happened if your company and a different policy. In one of my old workplaces, the sick leave policy (5 days) was merged with the holiday policy (10 days): they added the sets of leave days up. So, if you wanted a 3 week vaction, you came in sick!

Now onto your first question. I had the Asian flu years ago when it went around and nothing since, except for common colds. We now get a flu shot regularly each year. But now that my wife and I (both retired) do a lot of baby sitting for her grandchildren 4 and 9), we have had 4 common colds (2 each) over the last 2 years.

We are waiting for the next hits, hopefully not the Aussie flu.

C'est la vie!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 PM

30,114 posts, read 47,344,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Itís the same. I traded co-workers for elementary school-aged grandkids. I do the handwashing do-not-touch-the-face routine, but itís the spontaneous hugs and kisses that do me in. Oops.
Top of the head kisses and hip bumps vs hugs but I agree - grandkids can be contagious
My daughter is teacher and she gets exposed to it all the time

Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 PM

30,114 posts, read 47,344,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The CDC says 20 children died of the flu in the first week of January. They had 10 reports of child deaths the second week. Can you imagine how those families feel?

It is all of that. So sad. And I'm afraid there will be more.
This is bad year for flu
Friend thought her daughter in 1st grade was coming down w/it---was running fever, felt sick
Her doctor have her Tamiflu
Girl had foot/mouth/hand disease
Cost them $300 for Tamifly RX (not very good insurance) and totally wasted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement