U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:21 AM

202 posts, read 141,437 times

Advertisements

We homeschooled our daughter during high school and DH retired and went on SS during that time. We were never asked to submit anything regarding her classes. However, she was 17 when she graduated high school so there was no attempt to collect benefits after she turned 18.

FWIW, rules on homeschoolers vary from state to state. In my state there was no requirement to register. When DD started community college as a senior in high school doing a dual credit course we were required to submit a transcript to the college which we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 AM

5,468 posts, read 2,355,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Most would agree I think. Ridiculous. If you have children in your 50's, you should be willing to support them and not expect others to do it for you. MANY people are working into their 70's now.
Agree. If you still have the energy to have children, then you have the energy to work.

Ugh. This whole thing is insane. No wonder this country is broke.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:52 AM

5,468 posts, read 2,355,127 times
Quote:
Are you aware that ss deductions stop at certain income level? Last year it was at the 118,000 level. I would guess that during that 40 years he earned quite a bit on which no ss deductions were taken. What is insulting is to retire and let others support your kids. MANY people these days are working beyond 66, my husband included. He has worked full time since he was 16.
Amen.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 5,813 times
I'm the OP:

It is interesting that so many can judge based on the very few facts that I offered. Our children were all adopted at birth. They were/are each eligible for benefits and support for various reasons, but we CHOSE not to take that path because we also have strong feelings about personal responsibility. This decision does NOT reflect badly on anyone who has taken those benefits-every family's decision is based on circumstances we have no understanding of, and I choose not to judge what I don't understand.

We have been self-employed for over 40 years, so we also take a 'double hit', as another poster mentioned. In those years we have been the 'recipients' (I refuse to use the word victim) of several instances of embezzlement and fraud from employees, vendors, and landlords. By the grace of God, we have survived.

Our reasons for taking my husband's benefits now are personal. He has worked 60+ hours every week, except for a total of three weeks of vacation over the course of 40 years. He will continue to run our business until the day he physically cannot.

Again, we did not adopt our special needs children when we were in our 40's, with the plan of milking the system in our 60's. We had no idea until a few weeks ago that there was even an option for our two youngest to receive any benefits.
One is eligible for 12 months, one for 18 months. At that point, they will be done with high school and we will stop taking money out of your pockets.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 AM

1,679 posts, read 787,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I believe many people do it just to get additional benefits.
I doubt that is the case except in rare instances. The amount of benefit is not nearly enough to offset the costs of having a child

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The laws get crazier all the time. No offense to OP.
This benefit has been around since the 30's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
OP, I'm not trying to insult you.

I never knew that people could retire and get SS benefits for their children just because they are older parents. I'm floored.

I think that is a ridiculous benefit that should be done away with.
I disagree, even though I will not benefit from the benefit.. Hard to believe how many just plain mean people are out there. Why is it a ridiculous benefit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Wow! I am 100% pissed off now. I will spend my entire adult life paying to SS with zero expectation of receiving benefits based on projections the system will be insolvent when I'm finally eligible. And on top of that I'm self- employed (small business owner dumping good money on employee behalf) and getting double hit. There's something massively wrong with this country that children of living parents are stealing my hard earned money.
No one is stealing your hard earned money. SS will not go insolvent, there will be some way to maintain the benefits. Of course, that might mean you have to pay more when the maximum wage amount is removed, or increased to a much higher level.

Quote:
Most would agree I think. Ridiculous. If you have children in your 50's, you should be willing to support them and not expect others to do it for you. MANY people are working into their 70's now.
So what? Most aren't.

Quote:
Are you aware that ss deductions stop at certain income level? Last year it was at the 118,000 level. I would guess that during that 40 years he earned quite a bit on which no ss deductions were taken. What is insulting is to retire and let others support your kids. MANY people these days are working beyond 66, my husband included. He has worked full time since he was 16.
Your husband has worked 50 years? So what? No one has kids late just to collect a SS benefit.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,670,532 times
I am in the same camp as others who feel SS benefits to minor children of Retirees is ludicrous!

Having children is (usually) a voluntary decision. Retirement is (usually) a voluntary decision. Death and Disability are (usually) not voluntary decisions.

Voluntary retiring early with young children in the home is as foolish and unforgivable as voluntarily retiring early with inadequate financial assets.

No offense intended but this reeks of being a horrible idea.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,067,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Social security student benefits for children of a retired parent are for students through grade 12 - no benefits are given for college students who have a retired parent. Benefits under this part of the law for college students with a retired parent were stopped in 1981.
I was surprised to find out that they stopped the benefits for college students.

I received a small sum monthly when I was in college. But my dad was also a disabled veteran.

As for having kids later in life, he didn't get married until almost 30 since he was away at war. Soldiers were older then. WW2 was called the old man's draft.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM

6,840 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writermom333 View Post
I'm the OP:

It is interesting that so many can judge based on the very few facts that I offered. Our children were all adopted at birth. They were/are each eligible for benefits and support for various reasons, but we CHOSE not to take that path because we also have strong feelings about personal responsibility. This decision does NOT reflect badly on anyone who has taken those benefits-every family's decision is based on circumstances we have no understanding of, and I choose not to judge what I don't understand.

We have been self-employed for over 40 years, so we also take a 'double hit', as another poster mentioned. In those years we have been the 'recipients' (I refuse to use the word victim) of several instances of embezzlement and fraud from employees, vendors, and landlords. By the grace of God, we have survived.

Our reasons for taking my husband's benefits now are personal. He has worked 60+ hours every week, except for a total of three weeks of vacation over the course of 40 years. He will continue to run our business until the day he physically cannot.

Again, we did not adopt our special needs children when we were in our 40's, with the plan of milking the system in our 60's. We had no idea until a few weeks ago that there was even an option for our two youngest to receive any benefits.
One is eligible for 12 months, one for 18 months. At that point, they will be done with high school and we will stop taking money out of your pockets.

Nothing about your husband's work hours is unusual AT ALL, so please, stop rationalizing and expecting sympathy.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM

210 posts, read 151,132 times
If custody of a great grandchild is transferred to the great grandmother does the great grandmother get an increase in SS or does she have to adopt the child?

Old 01-21-2018, 12:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
If custody of a great grandchild is transferred to the great grandmother does the great grandmother get an increase in SS or does she have to adopt the child?
She would have to adopt the child, only biologically or adopted children qualify.

I am on the side of the OP, the time children are on the benefit is usually small, and not that many are in this position either. Also it IS a legal benefit of SS, and so no one is "Stealing" anything.

I find it shameful all these people object so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement