U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:26 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times

Advertisements

According to the article below, the child receiving student benefits as a child of a retired parent gets HALF of what the retired parent would receive if he/she waited until full retirement age to receive Social Security!

from the article:

"Here’s how the benefits work: When you file for retirement, each of your kids can get money equaling half of what you would be entitled to receive at full retirement age, currently 66. Even if you took a smaller benefit by claiming early, your child would get half of that larger, full-retirement-age amount."

Taking Social Security Benefits Early When You Have Kids Under 18 | Money

Yet the article below says the opposite.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...ids-2014-06-26

(I'll look at further info to find the correct answer)

"In the U.S., 4.4 million children receive Social Security benefits of approximately $2.5 billion each month due to one or more of their parents being disabled, retired or deceased."

"Let's look at the following examples:

"A couple, each age 62, has a young daughter age 14. Assuming they are both eligible for retirement benefits, one of them could take their reduced Social Security benefit at age 62. In that case, the daughter would be eligible for half of that benefit amount. If the female spouse files and receives $1,000 a month, the daughter will also receive $500 a month."

"If that same couple has four kids under age 18 (or that meet the aforementioned eligibility criteria), once either parent files for their benefit, each child is then eligible for a benefit amount. However, that amount is subject to a maximum family benefit which is usually 150% to 180% of the original benefit amount."

Last edited by matisse12; 01-21-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
I remember when my Mother started getting (minimal) SS checks back in the early 1970's I got a few months of SS checks. Can't remember the exact circumstances. I was in HS and about 17 years old. The amount was small $50 +- or so.
yes and if there was more than one kid that met the criteria, the set amount was split. I think I got like 22 dollars.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:15 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
From the Social Security info & publication https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf here's the amount a child can get as a student through grade 12 with a retired parent:

How much can a family get?

"Within a family, a child can receive up to half of the parent’s full retirement or disability benefits."

"There is a limit, however, to the amount of money that we can pay to a family. The family maximum payment is determined as part of every Social Security benefit computation. It can be from 150 to 180 percent of the parent’s full benefit amount.

If the total amount payable to all family members exceeds this limit, we reduce each person’s benefit proportionately (except the parent’s) until the total equals the maximum allowable amount."

Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM

35,488 posts, read 10,509,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At one time, children of living retirees did not receive benefits, so that would be a change. The benefits for survivors also went through 22 if the child was attending college.

No need to apologize for what I don't know.

You were right the first time. If SS ever goes broke, this WILL be why.

No person who WORKED for his or her retirement benefit should EVER have it reduced while dependents who DIDN'T work are receiving a check.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 5,804 times
OP here:

Delahanty, I actually agree with you. That is why the money we will receive for the short amount of time we qualify will be used for medical expenses and other things that will aid in the care of our two children, who both have specific special needs that are not being funded in any way by the government.

They will not be handed any money for discretionary spending.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:15 PM

25,986 posts, read 32,996,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
OP, I'm not trying to insult you.

I never knew that people could retire and get SS benefits for their children just because they are older parents. I'm floored.

I think that is a ridiculous benefit that should be done away with.
Agree 100%.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writermom333 View Post
I'm the OP...

In our case, we had no idea that our two youngest would be eligible for benefits until my dh applied. Our children were all adopted at birth, but certainly not for the reason to 'milk' the system.
Quote:
OP here:

My husband has worked 60-65 hours PER WEEK for over 40 years as a self-employed business owner. He has taken a total of three weeks vacation in the past 40 years. The idea that we are about to go 'on the dole' is misinformed, ludicrous, and insulting.
Quote:
I'm the OP:

It is interesting that so many can judge based on the very few facts that I offered. Our children were all adopted at birth. They were/are each eligible for benefits and support for various reasons, but we CHOSE not to take that path because we also have strong feelings about personal responsibility. This decision does NOT reflect badly on anyone who has taken those benefits-every family's decision is based on circumstances we have no understanding of, and I choose not to judge what I don't understand.

We have been self-employed for over 40 years, so we also take a 'double hit', as another poster mentioned. In those years we have been the 'recipients' (I refuse to use the word victim) of several instances of embezzlement and fraud from employees, vendors, and landlords. By the grace of God, we have survived.

Our reasons for taking my husband's benefits now are personal. He has worked 60+ hours every week, except for a total of three weeks of vacation over the course of 40 years. He will continue to run our business until the day he physically cannot.

Again, we did not adopt our special needs children when we were in our 40's, with the plan of milking the system in our 60's. We had no idea until a few weeks ago that there was even an option for our two youngest to receive any benefits.
One is eligible for 12 months, one for 18 months. At that point, they will be done with high school and we will stop taking money out of your pockets.

Just as an FYI for future reference, you don't need to keep telling everyone that you're the OP; the words Original Poster appear next to your SN whenever you post a response in a thread that you yourself created.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:45 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many posters who are complaining about SS benefits for children of retirees have themselves taken advantage of SS benefits based on other people's work histories? For example, did any of you take advantage of file and suspend before the law was changed? Have any of you filed for spousal benefits instead of your own in order to receive higher benefits? Any posters filed based on their ex-spouse's work history? If so, why is it okay that you as a family member receive benefits based on the work history of a retiree, but it is not okay for other family members, in this case children, to receive benefits based on the work history of a retiree?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:10 PM

202 posts, read 141,044 times
When my husband retired, he didn't retire because we had two adolescents who could receive benefits for a short period of time. We didn't even know about it until after we had already decided when he would retire. He retired when he retired because we had enough money that we felt he could retire.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,864,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You were right the first time. If SS ever goes broke, this WILL be why.

No person who WORKED for his or her retirement benefit should EVER have it reduced while dependents who DIDN'T work are receiving a check.
The worker's benefit is NOT reduced by the amount the child receives. The worker continues to get his/her same benefit. The child's benefit is based on the parent's benefit, usually the child receives 1/2 of the parent's benefit amount, not 1/2 of the parent's benefit---you follow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement