U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 5,502 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

Now that the IPs have been in place for a few years, what has been your experience with the overall product? I realize the “cash drag” has been pointed out as a negative but Schwab points out it can minimize losses in a down market. Has anybody found this to be true?

From a moderate risk perspective, it looks like the returns are positive (about 10%), but not near the levels of the overall 2017 market returns. Is this a good “set it and forget it” diversified, income generating product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,631,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHanson View Post
Hello everybody!

Now that the IPs have been in place for a few years, what has been your experience with the overall product? I realize the “cash drag” has been pointed out as a negative but Schwab points out it can minimize losses in a down market. Has anybody found this to be true?

From a moderate risk perspective, it looks like the returns are positive (about 10%), but not near the levels of the overall 2017 market returns. Is this a good “set it and forget it” diversified, income generating product?
I guess it depends on how old you are and how risk-averse you are. For me, it's OK. I'm 70 and pretty risk-averse, and I'm happy enough with what my Schwab portfolio has done this past year. Haven't yet had a down market with it to see how the cash thing works.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Hello everybody!

Here is an analysis from an analyst:

Simplicity Vs. Schwab

Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 AM

4,356 posts, read 3,689,532 times
I do not like the cash drag so I pay no attention to the product. If the cash was used in down markets for withdrawals (and you were making withdrawals ) so securities would not have to be sold then I would be more impressed with the product. But the cash is not used for this so it just adds to the cost and poor performance. But if I was a stockholder in Schwab I would probably be very impressed on how they have been able to sell it.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM

21,534 posts, read 43,962,244 times
You'll get more answers, here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/investing/

Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 PM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
Quote:
Hello everybody!

I have a medium/high risk setting for the portion of my portfolio that is invested in the Schwab IP, and I earned 24% from the IP last year. I love it! I have other sources of income, so I can handle the risk.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM

10,457 posts, read 5,917,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not like the cash drag so I pay no attention to the product.
Bingo. When I first moved to Schwab I was a novice and looked into the IP. Understanding nothing is free I dug deeper and this was what I found. You pay for the free service by being being forced to commit a certain percent to cash, cash they then use to invest and make money.

I found a simple set of diverse index funds worked well but that's not to say others could not benefit from the Intelligence Portfolio.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:53 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,657,283 times
I don't believe there is any "Set It and Forget It" investment. My personal experience with Target Date funds during the Great Recession was horrible. They lost 40% just as the market did.

My experience was that Target Date funds are chartered to aim for maximum capital appreciation when the target date is years out, regardless of current wide-spread market conditions, and capital preservation only comes into play when the date becomes near term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement