Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
June 2020 for me and counting down to it.
December 2025 -- and I've been counting down for two years already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHanson View Post
Hello everybody!

New to posting on this great board and look forward to thoughts as I am very close to pulling the plug on the corporate world. I would think I am not alone with the mixed feelings one gets as the retirement day nears. Still working, have not announced retirement, layoff is not a concern nor is medical coverage until 65 a concern. Financially ready (well, as ready as one can be). Just over the corporate world where I have seen the same old movie too many times. I’m tired of just going through the motions without the personal or professional satisfaction of years gone by and yes, the Sunday afternoon work thoughts creep in. Current retirement plan is to kick back for a few months to figure out what the next chapter in life looks like. I will engage in something…just not sure right now. At 62, if I do not pull the plug now, plan is to go through the motions for the rest of the year to avoid SS reduction based on income.

So the question to the wise people on the board: Right now, I’m 90% ready to start the next chapter in life but there is that nagging thought of why walk away when you don’t have to, but want to? Brutally honest replies such as are you crazy for walking away OR take the plunge, you’ll love it, or anything in between very welcome!
I could have kept working but I was sick and tired of the job and having to put up with people. I am 62 and have been retired almost a month. I retired with 32 years of federal government service. I have YET to get my first interim pension payment and I'm sure the government shutdown isn't going to help that. I received a leave payout of 262 hours of vacation time so that helped some. SS begins next month and husband has SS and pensions so money isn't much of a worry. We are pretty cheap and frugel anyway.

My husband is ten years older and was tired of being alone all day. He needed more attention and that really put me over the decision edge.

I have to say I really love doing my own thing, sleeping late, being able to monitor my husband's diet and we are finishing our home renovation and we stay busy.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
June 2020 for me and counting down to it.
Hope the time passes quickly for you. Best wishes for a long and happy retirement.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Hello everybody!

New to posting on this great board and look forward to thoughts as I am very close to pulling the plug on the corporate world. I would think I am not alone with the mixed feelings one gets as the retirement day nears. Still working, have not announced retirement, layoff is not a concern nor is medical coverage until 65 a concern. Financially ready (well, as ready as one can be). Just over the corporate world where I have seen the same old movie too many times. I’m tired of just going through the motions without the personal or professional satisfaction of years gone by and yes, the Sunday afternoon work thoughts creep in. Current retirement plan is to kick back for a few months to figure out what the next chapter in life looks like. I will engage in something…just not sure right now. At 62, if I do not pull the plug now, plan is to go through the motions for the rest of the year to avoid SS reduction based on income.

So the question to the wise people on the board: Right now, I’m 90% ready to start the next chapter in life but there is that nagging thought of why walk away when you don’t have to, but want to? Brutally honest replies such as are you crazy for walking away OR take the plunge, you’ll love it, or anything in between very welcome!
Slightly younger than you and kind of in a similar place. I plan to retire in the next few months. As far as working longer, it would mean a more expensive winter house etc. that I could buy but otherwise, shouldn't matter much. I still enjoy some aspects of work but ready to start the new adventure. Wife retired a couple years ago at age 54 and she loves being retired....hope you and I do as well. I say if you're set financially and it sounds like you are done emotionally at work....just do it.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
OP, I came across this quote in a book on leadership, "Take Your Soul to Work: 365 Meditations on Everyday Leadership" -- which quoted the Walter Isaacson biography of Apple's Steve Jobs, who is quoted is have said:

"For the last thirty-three years, I have looked in the mirror and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been, 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

Most people I'd imagine can't retire when they really want to. I know I'm going to work for 8 more years. But I'd retire tomorrow if I could.

However, the passage is a reminder to us all at least try to spend the precious commodity of our time doing what we want to do (as much as possible -- AND while healthy enough to do it.

Some times you just know when it's time.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:

So the question to the wise people on the board:
Right now, I’m 90% ready to start the next chapter in life but...
The next chapter doesn't have to EXCLUDE work.

Take six months without having to shave or dress in the AM. Enjoy them.
Then thing about what ELSE you might like to do.
Then do it.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
I have been away from work now for three weeks. I had outlined a great plan of things-to-do once the cord was cut and I was free...STILL don't have time to do any of them!

I can hardly wait to retire!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Oh lordy just walk if you can. I made the decision to retire at 58 in about two minutes and with only a couple of days notice to my employer. I had two or three days left on my monthly schedule and I said no thanks to the 12 hour shifts. Your social security won't be that effected if you retire now, but you can go the the nearest office and check it out. I did and it wasn't that drastic of a cut if I retired at 58.

Are you concerned about the change that comes with retirement? The down side for me was missing people I had truly grown fond of and not seeing them. I vowed to visit but nearly three years later I just haven't felt the need. I talk to many of my coworkers on Facebook or via text.

The isolation can be dangerous. I have a friend that just retired at 65, and unfortunately, most of his friends are gone and he never married. He has told me that the isolation is the hardest part, but he loves the freedom.

My husband will be retired for 5 years in June and I will be retired for 3 years in July. I can't believe it. The time is flying by and there is still so much I want to do and see. I'm serious George, run don't walk to the nearest exit if you can afford to retire early. There's a whole new world outside of work. I spent my 61st birthday on skis, we went ice skating, sledding, and roller skating last week as well. I start an upholstery class on Wednesday. This was all way more fun then chasing a buck. Times is going by faster and faster every year.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:23 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Even after a month, I still wonder how I even had time for working. I stay pretty busy.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
If you have medical coverage and are utterly sure you'll have enough money to maintain a standard of living you can find acceptable (make sure you triple COL expectations - very important - don't underestimate) then go for it. You'll figure out what you actually want to do after you retire. Everything changes, month to month and year to year and nobody can predict it. I have no idea what this SS thing you mentioned is, but if it involves money you get - then retire next week and start drawing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement