U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
 
Location: the Old Dominion
295 posts, read 149,594 times
Reputation: 1382

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHanson View Post
Hello everybody!

New to posting on this great board and look forward to thoughts as I am very close to pulling the plug on the corporate world. I would think I am not alone with the mixed feelings one gets as the retirement day nears. Still working, have not announced retirement, layoff is not a concern nor is medical coverage until 65 a concern. Financially ready (well, as ready as one can be). Just over the corporate world where I have seen the same old movie too many times. Iím tired of just going through the motions without the personal or professional satisfaction of years gone by and yes, the Sunday afternoon work thoughts creep in. Current retirement plan is to kick back for a few months to figure out what the next chapter in life looks like. I will engage in somethingÖjust not sure right now. At 62, if I do not pull the plug now, plan is to go through the motions for the rest of the year to avoid SS reduction based on income.

So the question to the wise people on the board: Right now, Iím 90% ready to start the next chapter in life but there is that nagging thought of why walk away when you donít have to, but want to? Brutally honest replies such as are you crazy for walking away OR take the plunge, youíll love it, or anything in between very welcome!
Have you considered a leave of absence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
2,209 posts, read 932,574 times
Reputation: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHanson View Post
Hello everybody!

New to posting on this great board and look forward to thoughts as I am very close to pulling the plug on the corporate world. I would think I am not alone with the mixed feelings one gets as the retirement day nears. Still working, have not announced retirement, layoff is not a concern nor is medical coverage until 65 a concern. Financially ready (well, as ready as one can be). Just over the corporate world where I have seen the same old movie too many times. Iím tired of just going through the motions without the personal or professional satisfaction of years gone by and yes, the Sunday afternoon work thoughts creep in. Current retirement plan is to kick back for a few months to figure out what the next chapter in life looks like. I will engage in somethingÖjust not sure right now. At 62, if I do not pull the plug now, plan is to go through the motions for the rest of the year to avoid SS reduction based on income.

So the question to the wise people on the board: Right now, Iím 90% ready to start the next chapter in life but there is that nagging thought of why walk away when you donít have to, but want to? Brutally honest replies such as are you crazy for walking away OR take the plunge, youíll love it, or anything in between very welcome!
I retired at 61 simply because I was burnt out to the point of no return and the stress was killing me. Literally.
Develop a post retirement plan(which I failed to do), and get out of there ASAP while you still have your health.

There are many studies out there(Boeing for example) that prove that the longer you stay workimg the shorter your retirement will be because the longer you stay at work the sooner you will die in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I retired at 61 simply because I was burnt out to the point of no return and the stress was killing me. Literally.
Develop a post retirement plan(which I failed to do), and get out of there ASAP while you still have your health.

There are many studies out there(Boeing for example) that prove that the longer you stay workimg the shorter your retirement will be because the longer you stay at work the sooner you will die in retirement.
Yeah...
Get out soon,
1) had a friend die at work yesterday...(11,000 miles from home) Spouse 2 kids (in college)
2) My best friend's dad made it through his retirement luncheon and passed away cleaning his desk (He had JUST finished his lakeside chalet 'retirement home')

so, I left without a luncheon or cake or party, just Poof - GONE

(I was counting up.. lost over 10 coworkers (while on the job) during employment)

No time for last minute 'mixed feelings'... times up... Poof, Gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
1,936 posts, read 2,469,694 times
Reputation: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHanson View Post
95% of current income in retirement.
Plain dumb not to retire (you said to be brutally honest). Don't know what you do for a living, but I haven't heard of you as the savior of the world.
So go relax, Sir, enjoy tomorrow on your terms. Of course, those terms might even mean you'll be laboring 12 hours a day on a Habitat for Humanity project or at a local food co-op ... or reading every book you've ever desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 PM
 
702 posts, read 256,761 times
Reputation: 260
I'll be 72 in 4 days. I retired just short of 68. Worked a long time to build a big 401-k and to have a higher pension. All good, plus waited until 70 to begin getting social security. Good again! My wife retired about the same time and will be 69 in a couple of months. We're all well set financially and in decent health. What we gave up, however, are years where we had more energy, and would have been much more inclined to travel and explore the world. Now we don't seem to have the energy, nor the desire to do so. Even though we can easily afford to travel extensively, our inclination and desire to do so has decreased dramatically. On the other hand, it IS nice to do EVERYTHING on OUR schedule. That goes for yard work, housework, whatever! And it's nice to go to DMV, etc. on their "slow" days. It IS a big decision!! I know a woman who was comfortable retiring financially, but now wishes she hadn't because she misses her friends, and finds retirement to be boring. To each his own.
Good luck!! I also planned to volunteer, but stay too busy with kids and grand kids to do so. I am not bored. Take naps without feeling guilty, and am able to watch my investments more closely. Plus I find more time to actually read the magazines I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Long Island, New York
468 posts, read 167,133 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I canít tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I have loved every day of my retirement since I took the plunge 3.5 years ago. I retired at age 62. Even days that I donít do anything but watch the grass grow are wonderful.
That's nice....very very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 03:14 PM
 
1,527 posts, read 634,180 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Long Island Tom View Post
That's nice....very very nice.
Thank you; it is nice. I wake up every day and think, ďIím glad Iím outĒ (of the workforce). There was so much pressure to hurry, hurry, hurry and now I never have to rush. I recently took my car in for maintenance and the service department was running behind for some reason. The receptionist kept apologizing for the delay. I was able to say with complete sincerity that I was in no hurry. She said I must be the one person in the county who wasnít. But it was true. I had coffee and my iPhone and my current crochet project. I was set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,510 times
Reputation: 34
How true and yes, it's time. ThankS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,123 posts, read 2,926,431 times
Reputation: 24138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Thank you; it is nice. I wake up every day and think, ďIím glad Iím outĒ (of the workforce). There was so much pressure to hurry, hurry, hurry and now I never have to rush. I recently took my car in for maintenance and the service department was running behind for some reason. The receptionist kept apologizing for the delay. I was able to say with complete sincerity that I was in no hurry. She said I must be the one person in the county who wasnít. But it was true. I had coffee and my iPhone and my current crochet project. I was set.
Funny, that is one thing I really enjoy....being able to reassure an anxious, harassed service person that there is no rush...don't stress out over something. And, having the flexibility to be home when something needs to be repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 06:01 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,510 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
When I retired, I had a great career with a lot of responsibility, great colleagues and good pay and benefits. Yes, I have lost track of most of my colleagues. Afterall, they are still working, and have little time, so I expected that to happen. But, retirement can open up a new world. Some of my colleagues said to me, "what are you going to do when you retire". Now, they all comment on my FB posts with envy when they see all of the things that I am doing that they can't. I am doing the things that we all talked about when we said we'd retire.

I feel like retirement has given me the opportunity to be enlightened. I have learned so many things....things I would've never been able to learn about while working. I didn't have a plan for any of it....it just happened for me. But, you cannot allow yourself to get into too many ruts...don't turn on that TV! It will come together little by little...just like when you first went to work...you learned, little by little.

I'm sure you know what you are interested in, even if you haven't dusted those interests off in awhile. A few years ago, I started learning about Bitcoin and have dabbled in that. I spend at least one to two hours a day on myself, working out, yoga, going for a walk, lifting weights. I spend several hours a day cooking because I enjoy learning how to make good food. I travel when I can, and it's not always some big adventure. Sometimes, I just get in my car and go off exploring someplace nearby. You don't hear me say anymore, "I'm going to stop in there someday". I bought a small tractor and I spend time working on projects that I never got around to. I could spend months on little projects just around my house. I took on a huge ancestry project. I could spend hours a day just on that. There is always something to do, or something to learn, or something to see. When an opportunity comes along, whether it is an invitation, or something else, I usually go for it. Everytime that I have done that, I was glad I did.

One of the things that motivates me is realizing that I'm not young anymore. Time is a motivator. I've seen family and friends get older and lose their abilities. Any of us are at risk for that. There are many things that I can no longer do that I once was capable of. There are some risks that I will no longer take. So, I want to enjoy things...other than work while I still have the ability to enjoy them. I can honestly say, if I died today I had a very good and fulfilling life.

Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.
Thank you Lisa, great perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top