Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:03 AM

13 posts, read 10,980 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

New to posting on this great board and look forward to thoughts as I am very close to pulling the plug on the corporate world. I would think I am not alone with the mixed feelings one gets as the retirement day nears. Still working, have not announced retirement, layoff is not a concern nor is medical coverage until 65 a concern. Financially ready (well, as ready as one can be). Just over the corporate world where I have seen the same old movie too many times. I’m tired of just going through the motions without the personal or professional satisfaction of years gone by and yes, the Sunday afternoon work thoughts creep in. Current retirement plan is to kick back for a few months to figure out what the next chapter in life looks like. I will engage in something…just not sure right now. At 62, if I do not pull the plug now, plan is to go through the motions for the rest of the year to avoid SS reduction based on income.

So the question to the wise people on the board: Right now, I’m 90% ready to start the next chapter in life but there is that nagging thought of why walk away when you don’t have to, but want to? Brutally honest replies such as are you crazy for walking away OR take the plunge, you’ll love it, or anything in between very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:17 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Why stay if you don't have to? I have to wait another seven days and I'll be out, three months short of 65.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:38 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
If you have the financial resources and you have medical insurance prior to Medicare covered, go for it!

Your most valuable resource is the time you have left before becoming seriously disabled.

One thing I've learned from reading C-D is that most people get burned out on their careers way before age 65. They "go through the motions" in their corporate jobs because they see no better alternative.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:40 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
You're not crazy for walking away.....you're crazy for staying and NOT retiring. No, just kidding, sort of.

Life is short. If you're confident of your finances -- and that they can survive a few likely worst cast scenarios (to your satisfaction), then heck yeah, retire.

After that, take time to decompress and decide want you want to do -- if anything.
Some people want to work until they drop. Fine for them, I guess. I know people who've been retired for years -- and aren't even thinking about working ever again.
If you don't want to work any more, or at least want a break from the grind, then make your move and look forward to reveling in your new freedom. (If you have a peace about it, within you.)

Although, it's not my definition of retired, you can always work part-time, IF you want to or have to. Did I say 'life is short?"
As I heard someone say once ....."sometimes you just know when it's time."

Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 AM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
yea, I was nervous. But I was also nervous when I left for college. And when I started changing jobs for better pay/location/whatever. And when I left for a trip to Europe. and when I turned 30 (gasp! 30! ME! imagine that)

You'll get over it and wonder why you didn't retire sooner.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:17 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I took early retirement with a good pension (minus reduction) at 55. That was 13 years ago and I have never, not for one second, regretted it.

Moved, found wonderful volunteer opportunities, etc.

Go for it if $$$ and health insurance are good.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
If you do a search, above, you will find a tremendous amount of threads about this very topic.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I retired at 57 from a government job. I loved working and had a very rewarding career, but the last couple years of it were not that much fun. It seemed to get very political, and I just wanted to raise fish, work with volunteers and young people, and help educate people that came to my hatchery.

It is very important to have a plan for retirement. I have at least one thing I want to accomplish every day. OTOH-if it doesn't get done that day I don't beat myself up about it. I'm retired!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHanson View Post
.....Current retirement plan is to kick back for a few months to figure out what the next chapter in life looks like. I will engage in something…just not sure right now. .....
We all do things differently and maybe your plan will work for you. I would suggest you give more thought to what you want to do in retirement and then plan accordingly. What are your interests, your passions and what do you want to learn and to accomplish with the rest of your life.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Wife and I retired at age 62 and it was the best decision we ever made. It did help that we had health insurance to cover us until age 65 when Medicare kicked in. It really becomes more an economic question meaning can one comfortably afford to do so. If yes, then I say go for it. Enjoy the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement