U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,457,347 times

Advertisements

It's been chilly in the mornings & evenings but sunshine every day & nice temps once it warms up. It was/is downright cold here this morning. Had to put a sweatshirt on.

Wait, yesterday it was cloudy & it rained, which was actually nice because it hasn't happened much since I've been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 PM

260 posts, read 316,979 times
I feel the OP. I moved away from Michigan for much of the same reason. I had it when the weatherman said "if you see a big yellow ball in the sky don't be scared, it's just the sun!" And then that wonderful lake effect snow. Doesn't stop surprising us until April. No sun for MONTHS.

I would probably consider Florida for warm, sunny weather. If the OP wants to move for more cultural reasons I would suggest somewhere closer to Charleston. If you don't want to spend that much money- I suggest Florida again, but maybe in the panhandle or in the northern part of the state. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2018, 01:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 752,972 times
Phoenix or any part of Central and Southern Arizona.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You could play with this site to get you started on some ideas
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ages-index.php

Where I am in the tri-cities of TN we are expected to have at least some sun for 21 days in the month of January, with only six of those more cloudy than sunny. I'm happy with that. It's also close enough to Asheville NC for day trips, and a lot of people seem to think Asheville is a pretty awesome place to spend some time.
Yeah... the 'other Greeneville (TN)' might be cheaper!, and is also a nice place, close to many other nice places! Tri-Cities / Knox, / Blue Ridge / Smokies / Asheville ...

Old 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM

652 posts, read 334,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I live in south texas. Lots of gloomy days here during the winter months.

If you want lots of sunshine probably have to head to Mexico.
Not practically drivable with a dog from Michigan.......

Old 01-21-2018, 04:25 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
The first thing I'd do (because I'm a total visual geek) is pinpoint your home and draw a line to Greenville (that's the right distance for you?) Then do an arc that gives you a good sweep of locations. I spent SO many years in the midsouth it can be a bit of a crap shoot as far as winter weather. But there are things that are going on during winter months, for example, in January at the historic Ames Plantation, in Mississippi, there's the National Bird Dog Field Trials. Everyone grabs a horse and rides along in the gallery. Outside sunshine, sometimes really cold but it's fun. Not to say that's your cup of tea but...

The hiking in GA north of Atlanta is wonderful. Heck, the Appalachian Trail starts in GA. Again, can be quite cold.

Sometimes in "tourist towns" of the south, you can get a more genuine feel of the place in the winter. I have friends at Kill Devil Hills, NC. That place shuts down pretty well, but they do have a beach cottage you can give a try if you want. There's something beautiful about the Outer Banks in the winter. More dog friendly at that time, too.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 2,469,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The first thing I'd do (because I'm a total visual geek) is pinpoint your home and draw a line to Greenville (that's the right distance for you?) Then do an arc that gives you a good sweep of locations. I spent SO many years in the midsouth it can be a bit of a crap shoot as far as winter weather.
Great advice and so true this chilly year! As for Greenville itself, I love that town BUT not in Winter. Yeah, its got to be better than MI but why not go for warmth?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
OP: I suffer from winter depression and SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and right now in in the deep depression of yearly winter depression. But I can't go south yet, I feel for you, I'm in N.Y. and the bitter cold, the constant Gray cloud and the durn lake effect snows well I've had enough. When I can get the heck out of here, I'll be in beyter winter shape but have to bide my time.

This winter had been down right cold and nasty over a good portion of the whole USA, except may be the southwest. Even Orlando Florida was at 24 recently.

I'm not sure a,10-12 hour ride is going to do it for real weather change.

They say it's due to La Niña, after last two years El Nino.

Even our chosen southern retirement area was very cold.

They say when you go south for the winter, you DON'T throw out your winter coat!!!

OP is head to south west or south east, but it's going to be more that 10 hours for good weather change.

Our retirement destination (NOT Florida) is an 18 hour drive and that's on a good day. It's been in the 20-40s last week and the 60s this weekend. At least its not -5.

Good luck

Oh, and Che k with your vet about a sedative for the dog to make the drive easier on you and the dog. Also if you HAVE to stop at hotel, check around where you might need to stop if longer than 10 hours, and be sure tgey taje pets.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
We rented a house in Isle of Palms (Charleston, sc) on ewinter while starting a business. Super cheap and comfortable, right on the beach. Not much on the Island, but Charleston is great dining. Beach is great and there's a bunch of good golf.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Southern Arizona has plenty of sunshine in the winter, but expect to pay exorbitant rents, expecially January through March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or