U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 AM

10,627 posts, read 14,425,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
And Charleston SC is extremely insufferably humid. (of course, that doesn't bother some people, and maybe or probably in the majority of winter not so much? and not during the 4 to 8 weeks in question.....)
You do bring up a good point about humidity. Some places that are humid in the summer can be damp and chilly in the winter. I couldn't stand Memphis for most of the winter. It was almost always wet, rainy, or foggy with a chill that cut to your bones whenever the temps dropped. if It's going to be cold I'd much rather it be dry, or snowing, than cold rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 3,501,296 times
I'm looking out my window at the blue, sunny skies & eternally thankful I chose Arizona.

That's all I can say.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:05 PM

6,567 posts, read 3,132,926 times
Greenville.......yes

Asheville, NC

Savannah, Ga

Charleston, SC

Myrtle Beach, SC

St Augustine, Fl

Lots of small towns all around these places.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Greenville has high crime and surprisingly chilly weather with plenty of clouds.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Greenv...-Carolina.html
And like any other town, the high crime is in places that the locals know not to go.

I.E. on the bad side of the tracks.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM

9,612 posts, read 10,995,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
And like any other town, the high crime is in places that the locals know not to go.

I.E. on the bad side of the tracks.
Burglaries? Besides, the OP has never been there.

Not all cities and towns have high crime or even bad areas. I easily found a place with neither. Where do you live?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Burglaries? Besides, the OP has never been there.

Not all cities and towns have high crime or even bad areas. I easily found a place with neither. Where do you live?
I understand that there are places.......like Wyoming....that are almost 100% white that have little crime.

However, anyplace on the east coast has the legacy of the slave trade.

As such, there are large African American populations in many desireable east coast locations. Additionally, there is poverty in these places that is a legacy of the slave trade and that poverty lends itself to crime. Not to say there aren't large African American populations who are law abiding and themselves the victims of crime by their fellow African Americans.

There is also white poverty that lends itself to crime from those who immigrated to the eastern shores and didn't make it or go west to make it.

All that as it is, there are still many desireable cities/towns to live in that have a good side and a bad side or two.

All you have to know to survive is where not to go. People on the east coast have been doing that for hundreds of years. All you have to do is check with the law abiding citizens to educate yourself.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:05 PM

9,612 posts, read 10,995,477 times
Quote:
I understand that there are places.......like Wyoming....that are almost 100% white that have little crime.

However, anyplace on the east coast has the legacy of the slave trade.

As such, there are large African American populations in many desireable east coast locations. Additionally, there is poverty in these places that is a legacy of the slave trade and that poverty lends itself to crime. Not to say there aren't large African American populations who are law abiding and themselves the victims of crime by their fellow African Americans.

There is also white poverty that lends itself to crime from those who immigrated to the eastern shores and didn't make it or go west to make it.

All that as it is, there are still many desireable cities/towns to live in that have a good side and a bad side or two.

All you have to know to survive is where not to go. People on the east coast have been doing that for hundreds of years. All you have to do is check with the law abiding citizens to educate yourself.
There are plenty of places on the east coast where crime isn't a problem. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, ass well as big chunks of New York, Massachusetts, and New Jersey come to mind. Parts of rural Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Kentucky and Tennessee may be included. I don't tolerate crime. Why should the OP?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of places on the east coast where crime isn't a problem. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, ass well as big chunks of New York, Massachusetts, and New Jersey come to mind. Parts of rural Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Kentucky and Tennessee may be included. I don't tolerate crime. Why should the OP?
Who said the OP should tolerate crime?

I said you should know where the crime is and say away from it.

If you live in a town that has crime on one side and there is not need for you to go to that side of town, just stay away from it and enjoy the side of town that does not have crime.

Easy.........peasy.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,640,545 times
Quote:
Greenville.......yes

Asheville, NC

Savannah, Ga

Charleston, SC

Myrtle Beach, SC

St Augustine, Fl

Lots of small towns all around these places.
Good list but I would not recommend Asheville. Itís in the mountains....much colder compared to the other places on that list.

Hilton Head would be a good option, too. An entire island full of trails and less than an hour from Savannah. (Charleston isnít too far away, either.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or