U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 3,261,742 times

Advertisements

This is great news. I wish you only the best. It sounds like you have some interesting ideas for your well-deserved retirement.

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 AM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thanks so much for the kind response. And JanND, thank you for mentioning my writing. I do have some hope of doing copyediting from home although it is hard to find the right situation. For me, editing and proofing is like breathing well. I love it.
I've been ruined by working on PBS news programs. I don't want to work on technical or business stuff, which is the bulk of available work. I do hope to look around and see if I can find some kind of editing from home that would be of interest. I won't be able to edit my coworkers college papers anymore (I work with a lot of people for whom English is a second language and they will ask me to go over their work. I love editing).
Back to employment. Shift almost over.

editing shmediting
technical be gone

Your writing skill is more creative. Find a local newspaper, magazine or something. Google Mt Home magazine and you'll see what I mean. That's specific to this area but there's bound to be one similar out there.

As I mentioned, find a new you. NEW New NEW!! lol
Got it?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 AM

6,345 posts, read 5,081,974 times
wow - loved your post.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM

1,926 posts, read 995,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
wow - loved your post.
me, too. and I look forward to hearing about your life ahead.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 AM

1,324 posts, read 839,797 times
Congratulations! Yippee! You won't find it hard to put on those brakes to slow your life down. It will just come naturally

Old 01-22-2018, 08:04 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,941,997 times
leave a note for the new person of what their work life will be like

Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM

3,494 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Congratulations, BDL! You've had the count-down for quite awhile now. Getting off night shifts will be a huge improvement. I tried doing them, and it's a killer. Even after 18 months of retirement, I am still on my former schedule (2nd shift) going to bed at 1 or 2 a.m. and getting up at 9:00 or 10:00. I hoped that would change automatically but so far, nope. Maybe we are just night owls.

I especially admire the way you are able to built your dream home from afar. What an undertaking!

Since you enjoy words and writing, as I do, let me recommend the series we just finished:

"Unibomber". Strangely enough, this long-running case was the first time linguistics were used to catch a criminal. Unique turn-of-phrase; unique spelling of certain words; repetition of certain themes. It was fascinating.

You'll have lots of time for movies now!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 AM

11,111 posts, read 12,501,220 times
Congrats to you. Your new motivator will be walking along the Uncompahgre River looking at Bald Eagles and deer. Sitting in Hartwell Park under a 150 year old cottonwood tree listening to a concert, or riding a horse down Cow Creek.

Congrats to you!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 AM

8,412 posts, read 9,165,392 times
Congrats!

But be aware that for some/many retirement can be a bit of adjustment. Sometimes smooth, sometimes not.

May yours be smooth!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Congratulations, BDL! You've had the count-down for quite awhile now. Getting off night shifts will be a huge improvement. I tried doing them, and it's a killer. Even after 18 months of retirement, I am still on my former schedule (2nd shift) going to bed at 1 or 2 a.m. and getting up at 9:00 or 10:00. I hoped that would change automatically but so far, nope. Maybe we are just night owls.

My natural rhythm is to go to bed around 2a, get up around ten or 11 in the morning. I've always been a night person. I might try to adjust it to take advantage of sunlight or early coolness but I will never be a morning person. My experience in being home from night shifts for 5 months due to injury is it takes several weeks of heavy long sleeping to sort of detox.
I do look forward to evenings at home awake. I was home with flu last week and started listening to music (again) and watching PBS. Am making a list of movies, too. With a view out the window and my mutts sleeping, I have no problem staying home!
I really do expect a big improvement in mood and energy getting off nights. Also plan to return to swimming and weight/Nautilus work,swimming first. I mean, no one can get away without moving around for too long and I think I might have maxed out my luck.
My pension job never had straight second shifts. You either worked a mix of first/second with little control over the schedule, or straight nights. I could never be in at 7a. It makes me feel ill. I chose the constant low-grade lousy feeling of third shift and gave up on having a life. And it worked out!

NO ONE stays awake all night naturally. We are all meant to be asleep at 4a, whether we go to bed at sunset or at 3a. I am convinced of this.

No more near-death feelings at 4am at work, where you cannot stay awake but must, get chilled to the bone for an hour, ache all over. Night workers talk about sleep the way hungry people talk about eating.

I'm off for two nights, have to go in for my retirement breakfast, which I find very touching and hope that people do show up, and then four nights and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or