U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:34 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,594,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My natural rhythm is to go to bed around 2a, get up around ten or 11 in the morning. I've always been a night person. I might try to adjust it to take advantage of sunlight or early coolness but I will never be a morning person. My experience in being home from night shifts for 5 months due to injury is it takes several weeks of heavy long sleeping to sort of detox.
I do look forward to evenings at home awake. I was home with flu last week and started listening to music (again) and watching PBS. Am making a list of movies, too. With a view out the window and my mutts sleeping, I have no problem staying home!
I really do expect a big improvement in mood and energy getting off nights. Also plan to return to swimming and weight/Nautilus work,swimming first. I mean, no one can get away without moving around for too long and I think I might have maxed out my luck.
My pension job never had straight second shifts. You either worked a mix of first/second with little control over the schedule, or straight nights. I could never be in at 7a. It makes me feel ill. I chose the constant low-grade lousy feeling of third shift and gave up on having a life. And it worked out!

NO ONE stays awake all night naturally. We are all meant to be asleep at 4a, whether we go to bed at sunset or at 3a. I am convinced of this.

No more near-death feelings at 4am at work, where you cannot stay awake but must, get chilled to the bone for an hour, ache all over. Night workers talk about sleep the way hungry people talk about eating.

I'm off for two nights, have to go in for my retirement breakfast, which I find very touching and hope that people do show up, and then four nights and done.

You keep my hours. People say gee, I called in the morning. I sleep in the morning, when I finally get sleepy. There is just something about night, when its dark and you're inbetween day and day, that opens up the floodgates of ideas to me. I can read over and correct stuff in the day but its harder to write it.

Wow, your job would have been a dream one for me. I can't really explain, and its something you get or don't, but I love to write. I just love the flow of words which take you somewhere else. But except for when I had papers due in college, and the rule was do not bother me or else, I like quiet and need a peaceful place to really open the door all the way. Then, somehow, the words just come.

I'm a dedicated night owl. Even when I was in school, I'd wait until all the activity of food and dishes and some tv was done and instead of going to bed, let the parents and sit in the wonderful quiet and write my essays for school. I could absolutely concentrate, and found as long as my mind was engaged I could stay alert and awake. I might do a read for just writing style, spelling, and grammer type stuff, fix that during the day, and when it was quiet and the critters were all happily camped out, do a final read.

Now, that I get to decide what and when, I just do my writing (which is this necessary thing, to get out all the stories I see and hear and can live) I do much of the first and second drafts in the dark of night too. I've posted stories online and got a few web site awards, but its my passion and relaxation and its this odd feeling when its dark outside and quiet and my characters are there with me.

I'd love to read about your work too, a if you have any urges to write out an idea, you know the kind which you already know the words it starts with, let the passion loose and enjoy what you so clearly love.

I'm a PBS addict and would like to say thanks for the badly needed intelligent writing you've done, and hope you let your skills find a new avenue and that they be shared. There's never enough intelligent words in this world.

I used to keep a journel too, and it kept open those strands of thought which had to wait, and discovered so much more about me and have put that to good use since. The nice thing about being officially 'retired' is its okay to look past the old baggage and let it go so you can see clearly.

And pick the thing you most want to do and go out and CELEBRATE!

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-28-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 03:52 PM

3,703 posts, read 1,886,903 times
Welcome to the club!!

We want to know how your move goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or