Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times

Advertisements

Even more confused how these work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
The way I've read about it....it's not the conversion itself that's affected.

HOWEVER, you can NOT UNdo the conversion as you could in the past.
You used to have until the end of the year, or the filing deadline, I forget which -- but you were allowed to change your mind.
You could do the conversion early in the year, then -- IF you're tax situation wasn't as favorable as you thought it would be -- you could UNdo the conversion.

Now (starting in 2018) -- once it's done -- it's done. You're stuck with that decision.

This only affects conversions. EXCESS contributions are NOT affected and CAN still be reversed (re-characterized).

Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
The article I read stated these conversions cannot be made if the person owns any older standard IRA accounts. Same article suggested rolling these older IRA balances into a 401(k) plan if the plan will accept them, then doing the conversion with current year money.

And do the $5500 and $6500 limits still apply? Sounds like a lot of hassle for little gain if same limits. At least for someone my age.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-22-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The article I read stated these conversions cannot be made if the person owns any older standard IRA accounts. Same article suggested rolling these older IRA balances into a 401(k) plan if the plan will accept them, then doing the conversion with current year money.
I think the issue there is having multiple Trad IRAs. Rolling multiple IRAs into a 401k (if even possible), would allow you to have only one Trad IRA. So the 'issue' of proportionality from all IRAs isn't a factor.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

And do the $5500 and $6500 limits still apply? Sounds like a lot of hassle for little gain if same limits. At least for someone my age.
the limits only apply to contributions to IRA/Roth IRA only. You can convert any amount from tIRA to Roth IRA and pay the taxes out of pocket to convert. Each person needs to look at their current financial status to see if conversion even makes sense. Not everyone will benefit from conversion unlike Ed Slott's teachings that say everyone should convert. Me thinks as smart as he is on this the reality is that some people are better off keeping tIRA and t401k balances and making an income stream from those instead of making the conversion over and hope that you can recover the balance back. Most people will find that they make the same or less in retirement and therefore taxes will be lower. Even better now with the new tax law in effect.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM

^^ The point is you won't be able to UN-DO the conversion.
NOT the conversion itself.

Being able to DO a conversation isn't the issue....the ability to do that is UNchanged.
However, the ability to UN-DO, the conversion is what is no longer allowed.

People would UNdo a conversion for tax reasons. Now they won't be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement