U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 6,442 times

Advertisements

runswithscisssors,

You are amazingly psychic and have great powers of observation. (I don't tell everyone that).

I truly appreciate ALL your insights and suggestions and you make TOTAL sense to me.

When you mentioned HUD, it did fit into what one of the "younger" tenants here told me (a former property manager) that is supposedly familiar with HUD. That this building was getting gov $ and she spotted numerous violations and reported them (in 2014). The building's new owner (the building went into foreclosure) decided not to take Section 8 folks in order to jack up the rents (2016). Last year, they re-decorated. This year, they are jacking up the rents, causing a lot of remaining Section 8 folks to move. The way she phrased it was, "there were a lot more people on oxygen support than there are here now". (Not sure if that has anything to do with it but she commented on it in the same breath). Rents: one tenant said $1,008/month from $850. You're right, the rents vary (I had hubby call the office to get a reading on what they were going to charge us next June). For sure will take your valuable insights and work into researching more online what the He!! is going on to be able to make a better decision on living arrangements.

BTW... Thanks for the laugh and pick-me-up on commenting on the building's hierarchy. That made my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 6,442 times
Activities are "sing-a-longs" (they actually were singing "The Farmer In the Dell" when I stopped by to see what was happening); monthly "birthday parties"; bingo, cards, outside entertainers like a gentleman and his wife playing a portable electronic piano and he was "crooning" up to the ladies; movies on Rudolph Valentino and other stars of "the day". Monthly "resident" meetings where management gets chewed up and spat out about what they're doing/not doing. Ice cream socials (occasionally). Anything to do with free food is a hit.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times
So today I'm attending a burial. Third person in three months. One of the drawbacks of 55+. Your own demise hits you in the face often. Maybe that's a good thing. Don't waste a day. Don't take living for granted.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:46 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I like the idea of the "Margaritaville" senior community in Daytona, That's a theme I could enjoy! Just kicking back in a beach vibe with other mellow, rock n' roll baby boomers. The actual place is single family homes that aren't that cheap, but a similar condo type community, with more modest amenities, would be cool.
I really wonder if there won't be a few places at least with a 60's sort of vibe, designed for a range of incomes. Maybe there could be 'groups' for those interested, even if some were smaller and some larger. But it would be specific. Have a Trekkie group, for instance. And a SF Fandom group. Even if it wasn't huge, it might come to interest others.

Most of the 'affordable communities' I've seen the sites for are wayyyyy past my finances (basic min socsec) and would cost me more than my house, which cost about 300 in taxes a year. And I don't have to deal with any 'shoulds'. I would really love to find some SciFi lovers or folk music types. And it wouldn't matter where I lived so much.

I have a feeling that for some its like me. I have friends and stuff I could do in socal. I'd even move closer to LASFS meetings, in LA to get to go. (Los Angeles Science Fiction and Fantasy Society, formed in the late 30's, early 40's and still going strong, where I attended regularily.) The internet is full of fandom, but it would be nice to be there in person. My friend who lived here and passed a few years after I moved here was also a Fan, though her reading my story didn't work out as she didn't like alternate trek histories....

I'd love there to be a little group who do needlework, knitting, crochet, stitchings, and such, with others who really appreciate what you do. I was going to put one piece up in the storm door window, but it gathered to much wettness and I had to take it out. Dang.

Sometimes I wish things were different enough with something, and I could go back to socal. I'd save every penny to be able to be there in fandom.... be it Lasfs or a few small conventions a year. My best friend did stay there since he can continue to be a part of LASFS, as like me, LASFS and science fiction fandom fandom is family.

I really really miss them.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:23 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
The senior center at my over 62 apartment complex is going to start offering self defense classes for seniors. I wonder if it would be a good idea to sign up.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
When someone says you "should" that isn't an order to do something. It's more of a suggestion.

i doubt anyone would force you to do anything you don't want to do.
I was getting medical through the city, waiting for disability, which was very close to happening. I had a place to live, an apartment which had already been set up, and a social worker person shows up about 9am. I didn't wake up, but she called again worried. I said I sleep in the morning, don't call me until afternoon. She also bugged me about not going to the local 'socializing things. Some of the people there were actually enjoying themselves, but the conversation was worse than boring. Not saying we should all like the same things, but some of us don't. I started bringing my crocheting, sat in the book room, finished the part I brought and went home. After it got cold and it took a while to catch the bus, I quit going. Nobody noticed.

I'm just someone who loves being with friends who get you and you get them, and has my own view of the world, and with like friends is very social. It's just that none of these people were even slightly interesting. And I hated taking the bus in that part of town.

The people in their system do expect if they 'suggest' that you should do it. It was too many clients and not enough of them. If you do as expected, then they can move on. But I'm not much for a room full of strangers, and I'd rather hang around with friends or at least like minds (artistic, off the wall, and with a different view of the world). And I don't see any point in wasting my time if I already know I don't want to be there, and could be at home doing something interesting.

That's the trouble with such systems. They don't have any space for people who are not standard issue, and people who want them to go away fake it until they quit looking, and people who really do need them probably get lost in the shuffle.

And their use of the word 'suggest' meant they expected you to be there. That's why I put the '' around it. What I disliked was the implication that if you weren't just like they thought you should be then there must be something 'wrong' with you.

When I read about the senior places where lunch is at x time and dinner at x time and if you just want to avoid people who bug you, they come and check.... I'd hate it. I don't like eating when I get up, whenever I get up. I like sitting with coffee and checking the computer. I eat carefully, since some foods are very much a no no. I had a lot of problems with the whole food processing system, and don't want someone telling me its time for lunch when I don't want lunch. It's been tried, and didn't work. I just have the feeling that as its easier to work things if you manage in groups, I'm going to end up not likeing any of it at all.

My grandmother was like me. She didn't like the preplanned activities either, and ended up coming to live with my aunt who had room for her and passed on when her time came after a stroke. But she wasn't forced to 'be good' in some 'home' so the schedule didn't get messed up feeling like a prisoner. She had already arrainged to leave for my aunts when she began to fail but all parties, her, my aunt and family, and mom all agreed she was best off with her family.

I worry somehow I won't have anyone to speak for me.

Last edited by nightbird47; 03-03-2018 at 04:05 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 06:30 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
So one of our newer residents at my senior complex loves to party. She asked permission to use one of the large community rooms to hold a sock hop on Saturday night and got it. She made flyers and posted them in the elevators and bulletin boards. The large room has a ‘fridge, microwave and stove. People were asked to BYO snacks. The party was a huge success.

More were held with different themes. People brought music to play. These formerly professional musicians are very talented residents who often play just to entertain in our rotunda in the lower level of the building where the senior center is located. Sometimes they perform in our auditorium. They performed some great music in New Year’s Eve. They usually do hourly-plus weekly recitals in the evenings.

They still supply us with bingo and games and such because the majority of residents like those things. But there are alternatives and for those of us who want them if we gather enough kindred spirits we can usually get them. Like our drum circle that recently started up and a women’s self defense class for seniors.

Our buildings used to be part privately owned, part HUD owned. Then HUD took over completely. We lost a great deal of funding for our senior center and lost some great senior center directors. So “the kids” took matters into their own hands. Many of our activities such as those I mentioned we have created ourselves with the support of the administration. It gives them less to do and keeps us busy. Win-win.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:58 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,223,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie1899 View Post
Activities are "sing-a-longs" (they actually were singing "The Farmer In the Dell" when I stopped by to see what was happening); monthly "birthday parties"; bingo, cards, outside entertainers like a gentleman and his wife playing a portable electronic piano and he was "crooning" up to the ladies; movies on Rudolph Valentino and other stars of "the day". Monthly "resident" meetings where management gets chewed up and spat out about what they're doing/not doing. Ice cream socials (occasionally). Anything to do with free food is a hit.
Some day in the year 2038 people at the lower end of the 55+ scale will be mocking all the people who are at the upper end of the scale who mocked that demographic in the year 2018.

Why the hyperbole?

Nobody alive today has any history watching Rudolph Valentino movies.

NOBODY.

You know he died in 1926, right?

For people in their 90's the "stars of the day" would be the post WWII era(s) and they enjoyed some of the greatest movies ever made, and movie stars still seen on television today.

You know about John Wayne, Cary Grant, Bogart, Fred Astaire and the rest of the post war era, right? Hello? Elvis? Jerry Lee Lewis? Little Richard? Chuck Berry? James Dean? Brando? Stewart? Heston? Orson Welles War of the Worlds? ICONIC superstars.

https://www.ranker.com/list/1940s-mo...rs/ranker-film

We don't know anybody who's in their 90's? I work for several and nobody is "that way".

In fact, my oldest client, age 96, answers Jeopardy questions that I can't answer, knows A LOT about pop culture, and watches financial shows (which is why he can afford to live in a luxurious CCRC).

He was also a lot of fun watching the election debates with, and pointing and laughing making completely accurate statements concerning current events.

Once after a debate I go: "OMG people really have no clue". And he replied: "I know...Kardashians ". hahahaha he's hipper than some Millennials.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-03-2018 at 07:26 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was getting medical through the city, waiting for disability, which was very close to happening. I had a place to live, an apartment which had already been set up, and a social worker person shows up about 9am. I didn't wake up, but she called again worried. I said I sleep in the morning, don't call me until afternoon. She also bugged me about not going to the local 'socializing things. Some of the people there were actually enjoying themselves, but the conversation was worse than boring. Not saying we should all like the same things, but some of us don't. I started bringing my crocheting, sat in the book room, finished the part I brought and went home. After it got cold and it took a while to catch the bus, I quit going. Nobody noticed.

I'm just someone who loves being with friends who get you and you get them, and has my own view of the world, and with like friends is very social. It's just that none of these people were even slightly interesting. And I hated taking the bus in that part of town.

The people in their system do expect if they 'suggest' that you should do it. It was too many clients and not enough of them. If you do as expected, then they can move on. But I'm not much for a room full of strangers, and I'd rather hang around with friends or at least like minds (artistic, off the wall, and with a different view of the world). And I don't see any point in wasting my time if I already know I don't want to be there, and could be at home doing something interesting.

That's the trouble with such systems. They don't have any space for people who are not standard issue, and people who want them to go away fake it until they quit looking, and people who really do need them probably get lost in the shuffle.

And their use of the word 'suggest' meant they expected you to be there. That's why I put the '' around it. What I disliked was the implication that if you weren't just like they thought you should be then there must be something 'wrong' with you.

When I read about the senior places where lunch is at x time and dinner at x time and if you just want to avoid people who bug you, they come and check.... I'd hate it. I don't like eating when I get up, whenever I get up. I like sitting with coffee and checking the computer. I eat carefully, since some foods are very much a no no. I had a lot of problems with the whole food processing system, and don't want someone telling me its time for lunch when I don't want lunch. It's been tried, and didn't work. I just have the feeling that as its easier to work things if you manage in groups, I'm going to end up not likeing any of it at all.

My grandmother was like me. She didn't like the preplanned activities either, and ended up coming to live with my aunt who had room for her and passed on when her time came after a stroke. But she wasn't forced to 'be good' in some 'home' so the schedule didn't get messed up feeling like a prisoner. She had already arrainged to leave for my aunts when she began to fail but all parties, her, my aunt and family, and mom all agreed she was best off with her family.

I worry somehow I won't have anyone to speak for me.
I don't understand what you're saying at all.

So the Social Worker educated you on some social activities available to you, in conjunction with your NEED to avail yourself to government paid services, and you're indignant?

It's not a requirement that you attend anything social and they wouldn't have the slightest idea if you did or didn't.

It also sounds like an exaggeration. I don't see how a follow up question about if I decided to pursue any of those suggestions is "bugging me".

I find it funny that everyone complains that "there is no safety net", or "older people don't have anyone looking out for them" or "there's no-one to speak for older seniors in need"....then when a Social Worker tries they get accused of ....something....not even sure what you're accusing them of, to be honest.

I guess I'm just not artistic, off the wall, with enough of a different view of the world.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I really wonder if there won't be a few places at least with a 60's sort of vibe, designed for a range of incomes. Maybe there could be 'groups' for those interested, even if some were smaller and some larger. But it would be specific. Have a Trekkie group, for instance. And a SF Fandom group. Even if it wasn't huge, it might come to interest others.

Most of the 'affordable communities' I've seen the sites for are wayyyyy past my finances (basic min socsec) and would cost me more than my house, which cost about 300 in taxes a year. And I don't have to deal with any 'shoulds'. I would really love to find some SciFi lovers or folk music types. And it wouldn't matter where I lived so much.

I have a feeling that for some its like me. I have friends and stuff I could do in socal. I'd even move closer to LASFS meetings, in LA to get to go. (Los Angeles Science Fiction and Fantasy Society, formed in the late 30's, early 40's and still going strong, where I attended regularily.) The internet is full of fandom, but it would be nice to be there in person. My friend who lived here and passed a few years after I moved here was also a Fan, though her reading my story didn't work out as she didn't like alternate trek histories....

I'd love there to be a little group who do needlework, knitting, crochet, stitchings, and such, with others who really appreciate what you do. I was going to put one piece up in the storm door window, but it gathered to much wettness and I had to take it out. Dang.

Sometimes I wish things were different enough with something, and I could go back to socal. I'd save every penny to be able to be there in fandom.... be it Lasfs or a few small conventions a year. My best friend did stay there since he can continue to be a part of LASFS, as like me, LASFS and science fiction fandom fandom is family.

I really really miss them.
Please think about that at some point in time you cannot have the criteria of "Must have fanfic Trekkie residents" as a criteria.

As you said you can't even find Fanfic lovers to even agree.

You're not looking at "affordable senior communities".

That terminology is explicitly geared towards people with income restriction needs.

You're clicking on other types of communities. Use the words "low income affordable senor housing" in your search

I explained it in great detail upthread.

Here's a site w results for your community. You can search any state or county.

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...lahoma/Cushing

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-03-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or