U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 12:05 PM

2,206 posts, read 931,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
So this icy rainy miserable morning was my retirement breakfast. I had to get up at 5am to miss traffic and still found it hard to get in at 7a! (No wonder people are often late). Fell down the steps on the way to my car but I was gonna get there.

I am still overwhelmed by the outpouring of affection and regard this morning. A very nice cake and layout for breakfast, Nursing Admin and dozens of night people and some supervisors from units. I felt like I was in a wedding receiving line, greeting each person with such appreciation. I fell apart. I am not accustomed to, or good at, receiving affection and I could not stop my emotional response. I made a nice speech thanking everyone for the morning and for the coworking and reminded people of how we all contribute to the very real culture of excellence at our esteemed hospital. I also said how important the assistants are and how they're underpaid (take that, director of nursing. It wouldn't be me without some lumpy ungracious comment).

I guess if no one cared I'm leaving or I didn't think well of coworkers, I'd feel the years had been a failure, but I am still overwhelmed with the regard they showed me. I am especially honored by the regard of my coworkers, so many times and situations where we really had to depend on each other and have each other's backs. Not a normal job by any measure.

As I expect, I am not anticipating missing the actual work or hours but that MASH-unit feel of the nights and the mostly high-quality people who work there. Having worked elsewhere, I know how different it can be (like most of the places I tried in the 1980s and 1990s).

Still icy when I got home but I wasn't leaving the leftover cake and bacon behind. Almost broke my neck getting up into the house. Rather have snow than ice rain any day. I think I'll just stay in (after watching the dogs skid off the back steps) and contemplate the cake and bacon. Oh, and the schedule woman got the retirement flyer she made and framed a copy for me, which I had broadly hinted that I would like. One unit collected money and donated $150 to animal charities. Nice notes from many people on cards.

Almost over. Four more mights and on Sunday morning, I give over my keys and badge and I'm history.
I really hope you never forget the kindness shown to you at your retirement. You were blessed to work at such a place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I had a long and pointed conversation last week with one supervisor about how I never liked having or getting "stuff" especially now that I'm downsizing from 1250 sq.ft. to 820 sq.ft. But the donation to the animal charities came from the manic depressive unit, which I consider sort of the Cadillac unit in terms of severity and quality care- I do believe lives are being saved there every day- and their night person knows about me and the animals.

I don't have any pics of my dogs because I don't have a camera phone. I did pick a digital camera as my reward for putting in 30 years at the hospital (the first time I was able to get a present that didn't have the hospital logo all over it!) but it's still in the box. Maybe in the next couple of months I'll hire my geek and ask him how to take pictures and put them in email or Facebook or the forum. I also like to get a picture of a new adoptee so the dog's rescuer can see how well they're doing.

Yes, I'll be missed. Whatever they thought about what I might have to say or my uh, cynical edge? when I show up, the unit and workers and patients are safe and the right information gets passed on, no more, no less. At present, there is no one interested in picking up night shifts, never mind a money grubber like I'd become. I worked overtime every week since last June, which was unheard of in the past. Of course I did it for the money, not as some favor, but they did appreciate it, as expensive as I might have been. So I'm not easing into retirement the way many others do- cut down from 40 hours to 32 or 24 or the weekend package (work two shifts every weekend, get paid for three with pro-rated benefits) and then ease on out, usually when a grandchild is born or something.

No, I'm bailing while I still have a good choice, for a vigorous and more healthful life and a new life that I always wanted to try, in mountain Colorado, with the good fortune to have stumbled on a small town in a beautiful place that seems to have older transplants like me, a progressive mayor and trying to figure out how to have sustainable economic plans and smart growth (if there is to be growth. Affordable housing, as ever, becomes the immediate issue, as it always does in such places). Let's put it this way, in all of Western Colorado, only my new county and the adjoining one with the ski resort of Telluride voted blue, although I do think politics there are more "live and let live," sometimes one's vote blocks another's living.

I can feel that fall now, aches and all. Hey, I work nights, I can go to bed in the middle of the day if I want to.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 PM

56,037 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Sounds wonderful, brightdoglover. You have some good days ahead of you. This one was a nice memory to take with you.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 PM

6,795 posts, read 3,862,667 times
Happy retirement! So nice that you received so much lovely and loving send off!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:54 AM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Where I work, you get a handshake on your way out. We had a guy retire after 54 years, not so much as a card.....as a matter of fact, other than his immediate coworkers, nothing.....administrators didn't even visit. Love where I work
I would actually prefer if people ignored my retirement and let me slip out on my last day with no fanfare. That's with over 20 yrs with the company.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would actually prefer if people ignored my retirement and let me slip out on my last day with no fanfare. That's with over 20 yrs with the company.
I told my supervisor I didn't want anything done and she said, "Too bad, you've been here for 27 years and there's going to be a celebration." I was just afraid that no one would come or that I'd get all emotional, so everyone came who could and I got all emotional. Now that I stand exposed as tough but tender to my coworkers, I'm greatly relieved it's over. I feel like I can move on into retirement now, got over the hump of the celebration (which I much appreciated and was deeply moved, although embarrassed to be exposed as someone who can cry...)

Retail clerk today asked me if I was in a hurry for something, and I said, not at all, I'm retired, got all the time the world. Starting to feel a bit... exuberant! I signed the realtor papers today, although still no specific date for me to get out of my house and hit the road for Colorado. Just some time in April. It depends on my dog transport woman's schedule. My realtor is practically slavering to get this house on the hot hot hot market here. I am so grateful she's handling all the updating and stuff.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,185 times
Congratulations! Your new home and town sound lovely. Best wishes on your new path.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:44 AM

641 posts, read 530,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Where I work, you get a handshake on your way out. We had a guy retire after 54 years, not so much as a card.....as a matter of fact, other than his immediate coworkers, nothing.....administrators didn't even visit. Love where I work
I remember when I was in mid career one of the older guy's retired from the company I worked for after 38 or so years with them. They gave him a 10 speed bike. Another guy a few years later got a fishing pole. The owners brother got a all expenses paid trip to Hawaii for two. Not to mention all the other perks that go with being in the family.
This was a mid sized company that did very well over the years. Cheep dogs.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,332,119 times
Congrats, brightdoglover! Enjoy your retirement.

The best years are ahead of you.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM

641 posts, read 530,000 times
OOPS sorry for going off subject.

Congratulations OP and best wishes in retirement. Sounds like you have everything lined up well for your new life ahead.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or