U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times

Advertisements

So this icy rainy miserable morning was my retirement breakfast. I had to get up at 5am to miss traffic and still found it hard to get in at 7a! (No wonder people are often late). Fell down the steps on the way to my car but I was gonna get there.

I am still overwhelmed by the outpouring of affection and regard this morning. A very nice cake and layout for breakfast, Nursing Admin and dozens of night people and some supervisors from units. I felt like I was in a wedding receiving line, greeting each person with such appreciation. I fell apart. I am not accustomed to, or good at, receiving affection and I could not stop my emotional response. I made a nice speech thanking everyone for the morning and for the coworking and reminded people of how we all contribute to the very real culture of excellence at our esteemed hospital. I also said how important the assistants are and how they're underpaid (take that, director of nursing. It wouldn't be me without some lumpy ungracious comment).

I guess if no one cared I'm leaving or I didn't think well of coworkers, I'd feel the years had been a failure, but I am still overwhelmed with the regard they showed me. I am especially honored by the regard of my coworkers, so many times and situations where we really had to depend on each other and have each other's backs. Not a normal job by any measure.

As I expect, I am not anticipating missing the actual work or hours but that MASH-unit feel of the nights and the mostly high-quality people who work there. Having worked elsewhere, I know how different it can be (like most of the places I tried in the 1980s and 1990s).

Still icy when I got home but I wasn't leaving the leftover cake and bacon behind. Almost broke my neck getting up into the house. Rather have snow than ice rain any day. I think I'll just stay in (after watching the dogs skid off the back steps) and contemplate the cake and bacon. Oh, and the schedule woman got the retirement flyer she made and framed a copy for me, which I had broadly hinted that I would like. One unit collected money and donated $150 to animal charities. Nice notes from many people on cards.

Almost over. Four more mights and on Sunday morning, I give over my keys and badge and I'm history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Congrats on a "Black Ice" Breakfast.. Sound like it was a nice get together.

(Guess my invite got lost in the Mail....)

Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM

1,567 posts, read 578,242 times
Yes. I had a lunch, not a breakfast, but it was so nice that people took the time out of their busy day to come. These last few days will be bittersweet; many other people will stop and talk with you. Handing over the badge was really an odd sensation. It probably will be for you, too.

Congratulations, BrightDogLover!!!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,535,133 times
After you get a stent and a nice scare you will skip cake and bacon.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,963,274 times
I became emotional while reading your post, actually got teary reading about how everyone showed up, the love and friendship your received, your speech. I gasped about you falling down the steps on the way to your car, definitely don't want you go get hurt or break a bone on such an important day for your, and the freedom from work in your very near future!

You really made your mark, not only on the job, but with the people in your life. Specifically your co-workers, and if they felt your touch and presence, then you KNOW your patients did. So you can go forward in your new life knowing what your purpose in life really was, helping others who FELT your kindness, caring and patience in their lives.

I worry that after the love and hugs and people, in other words, when reality hits, that this new life will be a bit of a shock or let down for you. You may feel "now what", and even a little lost. Please do not let this get to you, or if it does, take a day to get through those feelings, then, with the attitude of "moving forward" and your mental strength, begin your new life with hope, and excitement, and wonder.

I wish you all the best. I have BTDT, much like most, or many, of the folks here in the Retirement forum. You are a favorite among many, and you can find solace, advice and support here.

Hugs to you, and Congratulations on your upcoming new life!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 2,709,050 times
Congratulations, brightdoglover! You've earned the accolades, respect, and affection of your co-workers in a tough job. That is everything. You are going to have lovely and rewarding new experiences in Colorado! Best wishes on your journey to your new home! We hope you'll share some of the experiences and updates here on city-data.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:32 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
What a wonderfull breakfast farewell to enjoy and remember! Congratulations!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:38 AM

530 posts, read 537,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I became emotional while reading your post, actually got teary reading about how everyone showed up, the love and friendship your received, your speech. I gasped about you falling down the steps on the way to your car, definitely don't want you go get hurt or break a bone on such an important day for your, and the freedom from work in your very near future!

You really made your mark, not only on the job, but with the people in your life. Specifically your co-workers, and if they felt your touch and presence, then you KNOW your patients did. So you can go forward in your new life knowing what your purpose in life really was, helping others who FELT your kindness, caring and patience in their lives.

I worry that after the love and hugs and people, in other words, when reality hits, that this new life will be a bit of a shock or let down for you. You may feel "now what", and even a little lost. Please do not let this get to you, or if it does, take a day to get through those feelings, then, with the attitude of "moving forward" and your mental strength, begin your new life with hope, and excitement, and wonder.

I wish you all the best. I have BTDT, much like most, or many, of the folks here in the Retirement forum. You are a favorite among many, and you can find solace, advice and support here.

Hugs to you, and Congratulations on your upcoming new life!
... And ... Just to add - "what (s)he said!" ... 😊

Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM

315 posts, read 158,414 times
It sounds like a wonderful send off. Enjoy the next part of your life!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:24 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,534,099 times
Where I work, you get a handshake on your way out. We had a guy retire after 54 years, not so much as a card.....as a matter of fact, other than his immediate coworkers, nothing.....administrators didn't even visit. Love where I work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or