U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 PM

28,266 posts, read 39,934,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
It was August, 1967. I went down to Tucson to start college at the U of A.

There was this new group from LA giving a concert and the ticket was just $10. So I got there early and had a front row seat to see them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1l8T2Lcl0

I'll never forget it!
My wife's first album purchase. We still have it and the Jefferson Airplane Takes Off that was my first album.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:18 PM

659 posts, read 325,772 times
I love Jim Morrison and the Doors! Lucky you (vision67) to see that concert.

You know, when you read through the comments, no one seems "old". People at or near retirement age are pretty cool!

Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 801 times
For me in the 70's, anything by April Wine. In particular, Nature of the Beast and Stand Back.

Must of seen April Wine at least 30 times live!

Old 01-29-2018, 05:42 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
For sheer pleasure and extended listening of a large number of unique songs The Who's Quadrophenia.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:00 PM

12,734 posts, read 14,101,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I remember being at a big work party about 5 years ago and they had a 50s rock n roll theme. They wanted people to sing along and dance but it fell flat. Why? No one related to that era. The young people were so bored, and I felt the same way. The 50s was too old fashioned.
Well, I am not surprised, but... Your summation of all 50's music is pretty damning. I grew up within listening (barely) range of a small daytime station aimed at the large African-American city population. A few white kids in my small, overwhelmingly white town forty miles away were listening to it. Then its prime DJ moved to high-powered major station and he changed its nighttime format, and pitched Rhythm n Blues (called Race Music until 1949) directly to a white as well as black audience. No more ear pressed to the radio stuff, we heard Big Maybelle, Big Joe Turner, Etta James and the whole galaxy RnB singers full blast. The lyrics were raw, gritty with real grinding come and git it accompaniment for crotch-bumping and pelvis rolling dancing. Boring????? Depends upon your Fifties.

When the music industry gave up fighting RnB, and decided to whiten it, then rock n roll was born and that music started to lose its bone fast.

[quote]People on this forum have lived through the 50s rock n roll, 60s folk era, British Invasion, Motown,70's rock, Disco, Dance, Punk, Hip Hop etc. I am turning 60 this year. I love Dance music. Still buy DJ compilations. Maybe it is because I was a teen during the disco era. Sometimes I listen to Top 40 and Hip Hop music just to keep current with the times. Further, I like listening to 1960s music because it reminds me of being a child. [7quote]

I stuck mainly with black music as it evolved over the next three decades. Loved Soul, and as far as pop music is concerned Aretha Franklin is probably my favorite singer. Could pretty much listen to any album of hers any time.

Quote:
What is your favorite album that you can listen to over and over and why?
I'm 80, and I'm buried under so many years of so much music that I don't think I could pick my 100 favorites. But I still do enjoy Frankie Goes to Hollywood every time I play it.

After rap exhausted itself in two weeks, I started listening to Brazilian MPB...and since then I widened it to Luso-African pop, North African rai and Arabic pop and Indian (mostly film music) and some Japanese. I like Aster Aweke's album Kabu, which this song is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7LbIXHykI

For me rap exhausted its limited self decades ago (the Brazilians were able to give it a good shot in the arm though), and hip hop is massively limited and boring. Too many American pop singers have thin, reedy voices that make their songs into an interminable whine about about a puberty that seems to have passed them by. Maybe its a medical condition and not the music.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:04 PM

12,734 posts, read 14,101,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I love Jim Morrison and the Doors! Lucky you (vision67) to see that concert.

You know, when you read through the comments, no one seems "old". People at or near retirement age are pretty cool!
They were great...too good not to burn out perhaps. But then the few albums they made were terrific.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:08 AM

659 posts, read 325,772 times
[quote=kevxu;50870526]Well, I am not surprised, but... Your summation of all 50's music is pretty damning. I grew up within listening (barely) range of a small daytime station aimed at the large African-American city population. A few white kids in my small, overwhelmingly white town forty miles away were listening to it. Then its prime DJ moved to high-powered major station and he changed its nighttime format, and pitched Rhythm n Blues (called Race Music until 1949) directly to a white as well as black audience. No more ear pressed to the radio stuff, we heard Big Maybelle, Big Joe Turner, Etta James and the whole galaxy RnB singers full blast. The lyrics were raw, gritty with real grinding come and git it accompaniment for crotch-bumping and pelvis rolling dancing. Boring????? Depends upon your Fifties.

When the music industry gave up fighting RnB, and decided to whiten it, then rock n roll was born and that music started to lose its bone fast.

Quote:
People on this forum have lived through the 50s rock n roll, 60s folk era, British Invasion, Motown,70's rock, Disco, Dance, Punk, Hip Hop etc. I am turning 60 this year. I love Dance music. Still buy DJ compilations. Maybe it is because I was a teen during the disco era. Sometimes I listen to Top 40 and Hip Hop music just to keep current with the times. Further, I like listening to 1960s music because it reminds me of being a child. [7quote]

I stuck mainly with black music as it evolved over the next three decades. Loved Soul, and as far as pop music is concerned Aretha Franklin is probably my favorite singer. Could pretty much listen to any album of hers any time.

I'm 80, and I'm buried under so many years of so much music that I don't think I could pick my 100 favorites. But I still do enjoy Frankie Goes to Hollywood every time I play it.

After rap exhausted itself in two weeks, I started listening to Brazilian MPB...and since then I widened it to Luso-African pop, North African rai and Arabic pop and Indian (mostly film music) and some Japanese. I like Aster Aweke's album Kabu, which this song is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7LbIXHykI

For me rap exhausted its limited self decades ago (the Brazilians were able to give it a good shot in the arm though), and hip hop is massively limited and boring. Too many American pop singers have thin, reedy voices that make their songs into an interminable whine about about a puberty that seems to have passed them by. Maybe its a medical condition and not the music.
I respect your opinion and experience but do question how could rap have exhausted itself in two weeks when it enjoys huge popularity all over the world, more so than Rock. Other cultures have adopted it. Most Pop artists include rap verses in their songs. Its now called Hip Hop! I remember rap even before 1979 "Rappers Delight" came out. I heard DJs rapping to music at parties and clubs in the mid 70s. Even though many people say they hate it---Rap is also considered to be an American art form, with global popularity, just as Jazz as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or