U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:34 AM

649 posts, read 554,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
My top 5 would be:

1. The Black Album - Metallica
2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
3. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
4. Back in Black - AC/DC
5. Aqualung - Jethro Tull

But when I'm in a "softer" mood, I have a different top 5:

1. Unplugged - Eric Clapton
2. So Far - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
3. Simon & Garfunkle's Greatest Hits
4. Tapestry - Carol King
5. Dreamboat Annie - Heart

And then I have one album is a special category from a band that I'm sure many of you have never heard of:

Demons & Wizards - Uriah Heep.

It's special to me because Uriah Heep was the first band that I ever saw in concert, back when I was still in high school in the early 70s.
Someone stole my list...

And Easy Livin is an all time great song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:10 AM

295 posts, read 149,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Did you ever listen to the "Sailor" album by Steve Miller in 1968? Absolutely great music and great guitar playing with Steve and Boz Scaggs! It came out a bit before "Children of the Future" which was also a great album.
Yes.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 AM

588 posts, read 301,743 times
I love the Beatles and Queen!

Old 01-24-2018, 05:38 AM

87 posts, read 53,341 times
Great thread with many of my favourites already mentioned. A couple that I dont think have been mentioned:
Bruce Springsteen The River. That song stops me everytime I hear it.
Rod Stewart Maggie May. Does a great show if you get a chance.
Paul Simon. Sounds of Silence.

As an Australian, Cold Chisel doing Bow River.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 AM

15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
Rod Stewart Maggie May. Does a great show if you get a chance.
Album name, "Every Picture Tells a Story." Great title song as well as Maggie May.

[quote=DaveWA;50800680]
Paul Simon. Sounds of Silence.[/qutoe]I prefer the version of the title song on their first album, Wednesday Morning 3 AM. The electrical stuff was an overlay done without their presence. Having little problem with going from being just another folk duo to making lots of money they didn't object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
As an Australian, Cold Chisel doing Bow River.
I love Slim Dusty. I don't have any of his albums, just lots of MP3's. In fact when I coached soccer one of the other coaches was an Aussie. He hadn't heard about Slim Dusty's death, I think in 2007 or 2008. He asked how he died and I told him either he died of thirst at a pub with no beer, or was killed by a boxing kangaroo.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM

1,510 posts, read 965,601 times
"Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died."
- John Milner, American Graffiti

I kid, I kid ...

Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus"
Allman Brothers Band's "Live at the Fillmore East"
Derek and the Dominos' "Layla and other Assorted Love Songs"
Travelling Wilburys' "Vol. 1"
Beatles" "_________" (fill in the blank)

Have all been in rotation at my home and in my car since I got them, in various forms and releases (I may have purchased ABB' Fillmore East six or eight times now, though vinyl and various versions on CD through the years ... never bought much of anything on cassette, but bought Maxell UDXL blanks by the box and transferred a lot of vinyl to them long ago).

Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I went to a Moody Blues Concert last night. They are now in their early 70's and only 3 of the original 5 is still around. They are really showing their age but Justin Hayward could still do a great job with this song.

I can see where this may be their last tour. It was worth the memory.

WOW, Moody Blues are still touring? I remember when Graeme Edge was on oxygen during a tour, and that was decades ago! They were always my favorite, but eventually I felt their music was sort of a "downer", though I loved it. Now it's the Eagles all the way! Just amazing the amount of hits they had.

RIP Glen Fry.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
I have to give a big thumbs up on the early Fleetwood Mac mention, about 10-15 years ago I went on a major F Mac binge, bought all (I think) cds up to & including Rumors but was especially focused on the Peter Green material, later I spent a lot of time with the Kirwan era stuff mentioned earlier, really wonderful.

I did the exact same thing, buying 30 year old (then!) cds for Fairport Convention since I was in the throes of a Richard Thompson infatuation which hasn't let up much, still see him every other year or two, amazing talent actually still at the top of his game 50 years later! ( Actually got to see FC in a small club around '73-74, memory hazy but no RT then).

Still listening to Fleetwood Mac versions 1 & 2 & Fairport Convention 50 years later, more than back then in fact!

Oh.... and Dan Hicks & his Hot Licks have never left my playlist since 1971!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,895,668 times
Went to a Moody Blues concert in the '80's at (What was then) Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines, IA. Sat on stepped bleachers about 40 feet in front of them on the main floor.

Drum solo vibrated the whole contraption. Lord what a great concert.

Blind Faith and Cream. Anything they did.

Same for Eric Clapton, esp Unplugged.

CJ and the Fish Electric Music for the Mind and Body

The Band Music From Big Pink

Grand Funk Railroad Closer to Home

Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 PM

2,433 posts, read 1,668,181 times
I love all the sixties and seventies music, it was the backdrop for when I was coming of age and almost any song from back then triggers a memory or feeling.

I started with All Things Must Pass by George Harrison’s and have most of his solo albums. I love the Concert for George album with Ravi Shankar and his friends doing covers of George’s songs. He was my favorite of the four and that never changed.

I’ve rediscovered Harry Nilsson and love his Nilsson Schmilsson and Son of Schmilsson albums, he’s eclectic with a beautiful voice.

I’ve written before about my older brother who went to Vietnam Nam listening to The Beach Boys and came home listening to Jethro Tull. That pretty much sums up the music era I grew up listening to. I still enjoy it all, along with so much more now.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-24-2018 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or