U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 PM

3,960 posts, read 1,106,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Dr. Demento anyone?
Firesign Theater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I tried to take up guitar because of Trower. I bought a Fender Stratocaster which ended up being a mistake. If I would have started out acoustic or not as advanced as a Strat I may have fared better.

I also loved Procol Harum, even after he left.

Must have seen him in concert at least 7 times but none with Procol Harum. Trower is still touring. Last saw him about 5 years ago.
I got to see Trower at a small pub in Eugene, Oregon in the mid 90's. I was standing about 2 ft away, OMG! I could of died after "Bridge of sighs" and been happy. Funny story; for some stupid reason, I decided to wear a Joe Satriani shirt. After looking at that shirt for one song, he threw his pick at it! It hit me in the chest and fell behind me where a girl picked it up. Just my damn luck!

Old 01-25-2018, 04:00 PM

649 posts, read 553,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I tried to take up guitar because of Trower. I bought a Fender Stratocaster which ended up being a mistake. If I would have started out acoustic or not as advanced as a Strat I may have fared better.
Electric guitar is actually easier to learn on than acoustic. The action is usually much lower so fingers don't have to work as much. But I do understand a modern Strat with 5 position switch can be a bit overwhelming.

Never to late to try again.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Electric guitar is actually easier to learn on than acoustic. The action is usually much lower so fingers don't have to work as much. But I do understand a modern Strat with 5 position switch can be a bit overwhelming.

Never to late to try again.
I have a nice 12 string that I turned into a 6 string. Easier on the fingers, but still a pretty wide neck. I love playing but threaten to trade it on a nice "true" 6 string. Someday, but not right now. I have a nice Ibanez Jem, a Steve Vai signature model, that I play occasionally, but my acoustic is my main instrument. To your point, the Jem is ridiculously easy to play after playing the acoustic. My calluses are like freeways!

Old 01-25-2018, 04:50 PM

1,631 posts, read 962,166 times
Led Zeppelin I
Any Joe Bonamassa

Old 01-25-2018, 05:17 PM

11,425 posts, read 8,428,542 times
Younger it was classical and jazz. Then old blues. Then Dylan and Odetta.

Just this minute Spotify gifts me with Shanty.

Anything Gracia and Grisman
Ramsey Midwood
Eilene Jewell
Crooked Stlll 'Shaken by A Low Sound'
Amazing Rhythm Aces Who Will the Next Fool Be
Todd Snider
Mostly roots music

Old 01-26-2018, 07:32 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,520,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We must be close to the same age, I loved the first CTA album, and the second was also good, maybe more polished. BTW-I'm 64
53 here.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I feel so unknowledegable but I guess my favorites would be some of the Beatles albums like Rubber Soul and--

Whatever album has Maggie May by (sigh) Rod Stewart. Looked it up--It's Every Picture Tells a Story.

Catch the Wind by Donovan--just for that one song.

Heart Like a Wheel by Linda Ronstadt.

Back Home Again by John Denver

The Kingston Trio at the Hungry i.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 PM

8,181 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I wonder how many of today's youth have even heard those albums? Those are 3 examples of some of the best albums ever recorded.
Here's a fun little 10-minute video of college kids listening to and trying to identify some iconic 70's songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5XhtmhvCnk

Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 PM

2,876 posts, read 96,394 times
Growing up in the Sixties, of course there was lots of great music. If i had to narrow it down, these stand out (especially Astral Weeks)...

Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
A Step Further - Savoy Brown
The White Album - Beatles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or