U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,994 posts, read 54,752,819 times

Advertisements

At 65 now I still find my job more enjoyable as time goes on, and expect to go on at least 3-4 years beyond full retirement age next summer. For me it's the challenges, such as having to hire and train 3 people within a month, and dealing with a 3rd reorganization (new CEO) in 10 years. I get plenty of vacation, and have an easy commute with early hours (6am-2:30pm) and really no complaints with my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM

7,842 posts, read 4,430,376 times
Oddly enough, I was fairly happy in my job, too...until I decided on a retirement date!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 AM

3,710 posts, read 1,891,890 times
For me, the last six months was the worst. Each day it took more and more fortitude to just show up. The work was increasingly boring as the supervisors knew I was leaving.

Starting on month two and loving it.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 AM

14,449 posts, read 7,972,039 times
I was burned out and hating my workaholic life long before I retired. Yet I couldn't stop. I remember when I quit my job and walked to my car that last day. I thought I would take a month off and get another job. I had an "in" for two different places. That month came and went, and so did the years. We didn't need the money, yet, I still wanted it. Then I discovered that I have early heart disease. My blood pressure is slightly high and I'm sure the job raised it just about every day I was working, and what I have is related to high blood pressure. Stress kills!

I let my license expire last year. There's no going back to that high stress lifestyle now. I'm going to upholstery class tonight. That's about as much stress as I want to deal with these days.

You're ready to retire otter. I had just days to make my decision and it was surprisingly easy. I'm happy for you. Enjoy.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM

30,752 posts, read 49,586,897 times
I hated my job. It only got worse as I got closer to retirement. I became seriously disenfranchised with my career.

Maybe not a good thing for anyone with access to nuclear warheads doing strategic targeting, but that is the function of wearing a 'game face'.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:29 PM

7,842 posts, read 4,430,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I hated my job. It only got worse as I got closer to retirement. I became seriously disenfranchised with my career.

Maybe not a good thing for anyone with access to nuclear warheads doing strategic targeting, but that is the function of wearing a 'game face'.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
...... Its hard to work in a job where they are not going to replace you when you are gone.
I know the feeling. To replace me my employer was going to need to go on the outside and spend a great deal more than they paid me. So they tried to save my salary and split up the job. I returned a few years later and found that they had indeed divided my job. Someone who used to work for me was spending full time doing part of my job. They brought in someone at the same level working for another division. They spent halftime on my job. They also hired someone part time at a higher level to handle the client support functions that I had provided. I did not visit for long enough to learn the details but it also seemed that part of my job had been transferred to the quality assurance group.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:46 PM

4,529 posts, read 1,732,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...to grow more and more dissatisfied with your job and working? I can't decide if it's me, my job, or an actual retirement phenomenon, but I have just a few months left and can barely make myself go in now.

Your experience?
Can't really say if that is age-related. It may be that living/working itself has become increasingly destructive to the soul and the spirit. Younger people may be getting fed up just as you are. But they have selfie-culture to soften the blow.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:00 PM

4,075 posts, read 1,144,606 times
I keep some pictures around of me right before retirement. I'm over weight, look totally stressed out and miserable. I wasn't as miserable as the picture implies, but I had really gotten tired of all the political BS. I just wanted to run my fish hatchery, raise fish, make anglers happy, teach kids about fish. Instead, I fought with my new boss all the time. We were not on the same page!

Seven years later, I'm doing great, don't miss work at all and I assume work doesn't miss me!

Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 AM

13,359 posts, read 25,643,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I keep some pictures around of me right before retirement. I'm over weight, look totally stressed out and miserable. I wasn't as miserable as the picture implies, but I had really gotten tired of all the political BS. I just wanted to run my fish hatchery, raise fish, make anglers happy, teach kids about fish. Instead, I fought with my new boss all the time. We were not on the same page!

Seven years later, I'm doing great, don't miss work at all and I assume work doesn't miss me!

Have you been able to make a good fish life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement