Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:57 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I hated my job. It only got worse as I got closer to retirement. I became seriously disenfranchised with my career.

Maybe not a good thing for anyone with access to nuclear warheads doing strategic targeting, but that is the function of wearing a 'game face'.

If that doesn't win the post-of-the-year, I give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:21 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Have you been able to make a good fish life?
All fish have a good life. I'm confused.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
All fish have a good life. I'm confused.
Forgive me- a good life involving your interest in fish?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Yes, he's happy in retirement working with fish. Whatever floats your (fishing) boat!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
mr.cool is going through this right now. His attitude too now is F**k it!! General manager of the company retired in July, his admin retired the end of the year, and the new boss is flexing his muscles. All kinds of stupid new rules have been implemented. Everybody hates it. As one of the old-timers there, others keep asking him when he's going to retire! He can't say anything about his plans to retire December 1, so he has to put on his game face as well. He's eligible in 62 days, according to my countdown clock, but he's going to work through the summer, 'cuz summers in Wisconsin are awesome, but we're getting the heck outta Dodge by next winter, 'cuz WINTERS in Wisconsin are definitely NOT awesome!!
As I will be leaving as well, obviously, I'm kind of having that attitude too. Also putting on my game face.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
mr.cool is going through this right now. His attitude too now is F**k it!! General manager of the company retired in July, his admin retired the end of the year, and the new boss is flexing his muscles. All kinds of stupid new rules have been implemented. Everybody hates it. As one of the old-timers there, others keep asking him when he's going to retire! He can't say anything about his plans to retire December 1, so he has to put on his game face as well. He's eligible in 62 days, according to my countdown clock, but he's going to work through the summer, 'cuz summers in Wisconsin are awesome, but we're getting the heck outta Dodge by next winter, 'cuz WINTERS in Wisconsin are definitely NOT awesome!!
As I will be leaving as well, obviously, I'm kind of having that attitude too. Also putting on my game face.
The struggle is real...

Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The struggle is real...
Looking online at houses for sale in Florida helps...

Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 AM

199 posts, read 165,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We have an a**hole director who is retiring in 2019 and most of the employees are looking forward to it. The guy who will replace him is a normal person.
That is one benefit of working for a large organization, I guess. Hated managers move around and retire. In a small business, you have to practically wait for the owner to die. Then you are out of a job.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Our work culture has also recently changed; lots of the old guard retiring, and lots of new young people coming in. So, as I say, not sure if it's "them" or "me" or "it"... Guess it really doesn't matter! This life is just no longer a fit, for whatever reason, and therefore it's time to move on. But it's sure hard to stay once you've decided to!

Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
I gave my boss a 5 year notice that I was going to retire.

The last few years when I'd drag myself to work I'd tell myself: "This is one less day to work, and one more day closer to a perpetual vacation!!"

The job didn't seem so bad once I could see the light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement