Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:31 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times

Advertisements

Im not there yet but I do love my job and I expect i will have to have other plans or projects, but even then ill be sad to leave my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:00 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,395 times
I gave 3 months notice. Over those months I went from diligent to complacent to disinterested to “ f*** it!”. I was doing my job (IT Admin), but became not as excited about it as I was previously.
Now that I’m retired for a little over a year, I am very pleased to be out of the stress of the job.
After 32 years of that stuff, i am ready for 30+ of this...making my own schedule and deadlines. Well, okay, my wife has some say in the matter, but she’s much easier to deal with than management!

Congrats on your upcoming adventures. Hang in there and retirement will be your reward.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I do think a big part of it is just having to be somewhere at a particular time and for a particular amount of time. Maybe as we age we (subconsciously, at least) recognize that we have less of it, and so become more protective of it. It's not so much the office atmosphere or even the work itself as punching a clock and resentment over the schedule. I'm so ready to do just what I want to do just when I want to do it -- even if that's nothing at all -- and answer to no one for it...

Rebellion!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I do think a big part of it is just having to be somewhere at a particular time and for a particular amount of time. Maybe as we age we (subconsciously, at least) recognize that we have less of it, and so become more protective of it. It's not so much the office atmosphere or even the work itself as punching a clock and resentment over the schedule. I'm so ready to do just what I want to do just when I want to do it -- even if that's nothing at all -- and answer to no one for it...

Rebellion!
I sooo iove not having to be anywhere at a set time. And sleeping until eight or nine am. Taking nice hikes during the week-day when no one is on the trail, sitting in the sun sipping wine on my patio, dozing off, staying up as late as I want and going to shows on a "school night".....when the weather warms those spontaneous road trips I long for.

There are some issues, anticipating my first social security payment, anxiety over the eight months it will take to get my pension, etc. Waiting to get my 401k transferred to an IRA, stuff like that....that first Thursday when I didn't get paid.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:24 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
"Yup. That's where I am now- getting ready to put the house on the market--- not saying anything at all at work. Making sure that I use up my sick days ( use or lose) etc and hoping things go nicely. I am still being conscientious and doing a good job, but whereas I would have though about next year or the next year end I am very confident that I will not be there then. I turn 65 in the summer. If the house sells and we find a place before then and are able to move I will leave the job earlier. If I stay through the summer/fall, so be it. But I will be sure to use up all my lose or use time and will give 2 weeks notice as long as they don't **** me off any more than I already am.
When they talk about all these changes coming, I just think to myself how nice that I won't really have to deal with a lot of it.
So yes I think that as it gets closer and closer, it's harder to keep caring.
I have not told anyone , even my closer buddies, about my timeline or plans. Although I am pretty sure I can trust one or two, I just don't see the upside of sharing this so early. I think it can only backfire on me"

****Mayvenne, My spouse feels the same way. Turns 66 in May and will be FRA. Might work until the end of the year but said "If they tick me off after May, I just may throw in the towel"
45 years at that job and enough is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
We always called it short timers attitude. Heck, even with 827 days to go, I have the same “oh well” attitude. It gets especially bad when someone you knew passes away, before they ever even got the chance to retire, or barely retired. In December, a co-worker known for his gentle demeanor, devoutness to family and church, with a zest for life and adventure, passed away after finding out he had a rare blood cancer less than a year earlier. He was working part time up until he found out and then retired immediately. He was only 66. We talked of so many things related to plans in retirement that it hit me hard to think how this could be anyone. A delightful young woman still in her late 40s, I’ve known through work for maybe 12 years passed away 2 days ago after finding out she had stomach cancer in December. Neither had any early warning despite normal physicals, and only when symptoms appeared and it was too late were they diagnosed. I find it harder to justify working for more retirement income when I already know I have more than enough. When our company recenly annouced the closing of some old, inefficient, small plants and generous severance packages for the 400 people laid off, I was hoping it would somehow reach us, but our group was uneffected, and in fact increased the number of available open slots needed to fill. Our skill set is in short supply.

So yes, I think it is very normal.
That's the sad thing. Not everybody gets to grow old. My spouse has lost many co-workers who did not make it to retirement or died shortly after retirement. I am encouraging my spouse to just pay off as much cc debt as possible, figure out what it will take to pay bills after retirement and just be happy for heaven's sake. Life is really too short........

Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Quote:

Maybe as we age we (subconsciously, at least) recognize that we have less of it, and so become more protective of it. It's not so much the office atmosphere or even the work itself as punching a clock and resentment over the schedule.

Rebellion!

For me it's giving up my whole dang day for a stupid job. And I mean the whole dang day!

It starts with getting up at 6 a.m. and not getting home until 5 p.m. (or a little after depending on traffic and weather). That's the WHOLE DAY wasted -- a whole day I'll never get back. I cannot wait until all the days belong to me.

23 more working days -- it seems like an eternity

Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 AM

554 posts, read 745,435 times
Quote:

Rebellion!
... EXACTLY! ... My DW, who is still working full-time, doesn't (yet) understand the 'resentment' at being committed to someone-else's schedule.
I retired back at the beginning of June ('17), and have literally (and sometimes forcefully) told people that I will not be committed to their schedule, unless and until I feel like it. Now, that mainly entails 'volunteer' work with our Church, but the motivation is the same. I've had to tell some very-well-meaning people that, no, what they're asking me to do is not a 'calling', to me. Somebody there got the idea that since I'm now retired, I would be open to volunteering for all sorts of things ... WRONG!
I've become more and more a rebel; no one can make me do anything I don't feel the inner compulsion to do - anymore! I tried to gently explain that to DW, but she probably won't really understand it until she retires full-time, too, I think.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... EXACTLY! ... My DW, who is still working full-time, doesn't (yet) understand the 'resentment' at being committed to someone-else's schedule.
I retired back at the beginning of June ('17), and have literally (and sometimes forcefully) told people that I will not be committed to their schedule, unless and until I feel like it. Now, that mainly entails 'volunteer' work with our Church, but the motivation is the same. I've had to tell some very-well-meaning people that, no, what they're asking me to do is not a 'calling', to me. Somebody there got the idea that since I'm now retired, I would be open to volunteering for all sorts of things ... WRONG!
I've become more and more a rebel; no one can make me do anything I don't feel the inner compulsion to do - anymore! I tried to gently explain that to DW, but she probably won't really understand it until she retires full-time, too, I think.
Is your wife higher up in her work organization?

Even though I was in the military and it was full of rules- I didn't feel tied down. I technically only had to answer to one person, my OIC, and since I was a model airman - no questions there.

But I never took advantage of it. When I started my training to be a teacher after I retired, I felt trapped there! You can't even go to the bathroom- forget that.

I do sub but only where the slot doesn't require me to be there for more than four hours. I can only hold it for so long.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
For me it's giving up my whole dang day for a stupid job. And I mean the whole dang day!

It starts with getting up at 6 a.m. and not getting home until 5 p.m. (or a little after depending on traffic and weather). That's the WHOLE DAY wasted -- a whole day I'll never get back. I cannot wait until all the days belong to me.

23 more working days -- it seems like an eternity
Yes; it is ALL DAY... Especially if you commute any distance. Even though I don't, the better part of the day is gone and, increasingly as I age, I find I have no energy left at the end of it for anything but vegging. Or maybe it's as it takes increasing effort to get through it!

Old 01-26-2018, 12:34 PM

554 posts, read 745,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Is your wife higher up in her work organization?

Even though I was in the military and it was full of rules- I didn't feel tied down. I technically only had to answer to one person, my OIC, and since I was a model airman - no questions there.

But I never took advantage of it. When I started my training to be a teacher after I retired, I felt trapped there! You can't even go to the bathroom- forget that.

I do sub but only where the slot doesn't require me to be there for more than four hours. I can only hold it for so long.
... Clemencia53 ... No, she's what's termed a "production worker", but for a bank in a "behind-the-scenes" capacity. Only recently has she really started to feel the 'sting' of being somewhere on someone-else's schedule, and for the first time (last night) mentioned that she's getting pretty fed-up with the organization that she's been working with for the last 8 or so years.
I've been encouraging her to give serious thought to getting out of that situation since she first began as a 'temp' for them. At times, she's been treated like an hourly worker, with strict times for breaks and lunch, and she's dealt with it, because she didn't want to have to find another job. But, this year she becomes FRA, so that little 'retirement' bird on her shoulder is chirping louder & louder!

I liked having to only answer to one person, too - basically my "OIC" who was the director-level manager of the group I was part of. But, one of the things that really 'upped' my consideration for retiring was when they had yet-another "re-org", and I ended-up working for some guy who offices on the other side of the Country; that was difficult to deal with. He would be on-th'-job 3 hours before me, and would make meetings and other commitments (for me) on his clock, instead of on mine. I complied for the first couple of times, but then asked for some consideration, since I was a 'temp' ... I didn't have the "career commitment" some of the other (read: much younger) folks had. I mean, if he wanted me to do a good job, I needed to be awake enough to do it! However, he looked at me as a wage-slave: he'd dictate, and I was supposed to jump and say "Yes Sir", regardless of the inconvenience to me or my Family!

Having worked in technical training for over 20 years, I know what you mean about feeling trapped in a room ... There were times when I simply had to excuse myself for a few minutes to take a 'potty break' ... If meetings and classes run that long, it's time to take a serious look at how the content can be broken-up into more-easily-learnable segments. That was also part of my career, back "in th' day" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement