U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 AM

1,137 posts, read 573,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I was just like her before I retired. Getting up at 515, work from 0630-300 with only a 30 minute lunch, commuting, just exhausted and mentally drained every stinking day.

I cannot believe the energy I have and how good I feel.

Guess that sleeping until 9am every day helps....
Lucky you. For some reason, now at my one month point, I am still having a terrible time adjusting to a new schedule. I try to stay up late, but am finding myself fully awake between 4:00am and 6:00 at the latest. Today it was 4:50am. I can't seem to stay asleep all night, after years of having to get up early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:00 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,064,357 times
Actually, I enjoyed my job right up until I had to turn over all my sensitive files to the superseding command (our command was disestablished.) I liked the challenges of the work, and it didn't hurt that I had my last inspection trip to Hawaii only three months before I retired.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 AM

5,259 posts, read 676,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...to grow more and more dissatisfied with your job and working? I can't decide if it's me, my job, or an actual retirement phenomenon, but I have just a few months left and can barely make myself go in now.

Your experience?
I call this phenomenon "Senior Year at the Sorority [or Frat] House." Everything is getting on my nerves at work and I've become quite vocal about it. Even my "work friends" are driving me crazy.

August 1 can't come soon enough

Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM

212 posts, read 143,341 times
Wow! what a great thread! I agree with much of what's been expressed, but of course it's a little different for everyone. I don't think there is any one answer, but it's nice to "hear" what everyone else is thinking when one is in the same situation, and also not telling colleagues.

Had originally been planning to retire in 1-3 years. Talked about it, started going to the seminars, but hadn't decide how soon/late to go. Until I got really tired last summer and felt suddenly too old for my job. DH urged me to see a cardiologist and it turned out I have an unusual heart issue. Never would have thought it. Just got all the tests finished and while it's up to me, no one at my work knows anything, I have decided not to waste anymore time not doing exactly what I want every day.

So it's not the retirement itself that will do me in, it's the reason I am retiring. I have taken the time to make numerous calculations first as I will not be eligible for SS yet. Never saw that coming! Have picked the date, 3 months from now, based on several factors that work best for me, but won't tell them until I am no more than 1 month out. Meanwhile through all the testing, and calculations and planning, my entire career (28 years here) has been running through my head. Who was my favorite boss? What project did I like best? Least? Who am I going to miss most? WHAT am I going to miss most (of this routine that seemed eternal)?

As I've wrapped my head around the whole idea, I don't think I'm going to miss much of it! Or most of the people, but don't tell them that. I feel relaxed now. There is not another performance appraisal in my future, LOL. Nothing [at work] matters. I don't care what the next part of the project is, I won't be here. I'll keep working as usual until the end, but I don't have to worry how they are judging my performance. I'm putting together a scrap book of photos and publications and awards for myself. Cleaning out drawers and getting rid of a lot of stuff. Bringing little personal things home. By the time I leave it will all be cleaned out way ahead of time. I will bring in a better camera than my phone to take some photos. I can do this when no one is around so it won't excite attention. I will enjoy looking through my binder. It was a good run but I'm ready to stay home and indulge in hobbies and new activities.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 AM

7,839 posts, read 4,426,441 times
The months leading up to retirement can really be "the sweet spot," when you stop and think about it. I wish you many years of good health ahead in which to enjoy your freedom.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,797,156 times
I had my annual evaluation last week. I was told there's a possibility my position will go from 4/5 time to half time. But, if it DOES happen, it won't be until 2019. Boy it was hard NOT to say, "That's okay. I won't be here in 2019."

Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM

I'm glad I don't have to do the "secrecy" thing, because I'd be terrible at keeping my mouth shut. Some still do it here, but I'm not sure why. It's pretty much common knowledge in most cases or at least doesn't come as any great surprise. After all, most people don't work forever; why must we pretend that we will?

Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,797,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm glad I don't have to do the "secrecy" thing, because I'd be terrible at keeping my mouth shut. Some still do here, but I'm not sure why. It's pretty much common knowledge in most cases or at least doesn't come as any great surprise. After all, most people don't work forever; why must we pretend that we will?
My husband's reason is, he works on commission, and has a territory with his own customers. If word gets out that he's leaving in x number of months, he's afraid all his customers will leave him before he's ready.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:43 PM

Yes; sometimes there are legitimate reasons to play your cards close to the chest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement