U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 AM

4,682 posts, read 4,523,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
Enjoy the rest of your life. Thank you for your service. YOU EARNED IT.
Amen!

Ditto the ears. The electronic ones work fairly well and allow you to converse without taking them off.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 AM

1,438 posts, read 732,589 times
Big +1 on getting the best hearing protection you can.

Whenever I went to the range I'd not only have shooting earmuffs but also used the foam earplugs which compress and go into the ear canal. Reason was that many times I was done or in the middle of the process I could take off the muffs and still be protected (a bonus on hot sweaty days) from others who were firing nearby.

A few buddies used to make fun of it but now many of them are developing hearing issues. I understand some of that comes with age but I fully believe part of it was from not taking full protection when shooting or around others who were shooting nearby. From my understanding, high velocity/supersonic rounds (rifle ammo, etc) do greater damage and many guys would stand around with no protection if they were a distance away from the shooter....I still think damage was done though and I believe it is cumulative damage that piled up over many shooting years.

Going back many years, we had guys (even instructors) who would use spent .38 or .45 shell casings reversed and stuck in their ears....LOL.....Always thought that was foolish and found out later that it could be really dangerous since the empty casings could serve as a amplification device, like using an empty can to listen thru a wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or